Why won't you let someone recover a deer on their land?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MOBU, Dec 15, 2016.

1. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    I rather confused, why won't you let someone recover a deer on their land? Seems like basic respect for both the deer and hunter. Maybe if they had a meth cooking operation or some girl tied up.

Yes, I have neighbors I really don't care for and we have hurt feeling going back decades, but I still let them recover their deer. In fact, I put the word out, no need to ask, just respect my hunting too and dress it out away from our buildings(family pets get in to it otherwise).

Just wondering,
    MOBU

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    *******s.

*******s everywhere.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem if they came to the house and asked or called I would even help track and drag.

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would only allow them to track on our property if they got our permission every time, I'd want to help them track so i know where the deer was harvested.

Telling them they are allowed to track a deer whenever they want without permission seems like an open invite for trespassing anytime of year.

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have cattle.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would want them to ask and wait for my permission. Myself or somebody else might be actively hunting and not want them tracking until a later time. There maybe areas that if possible I would want them to try and avoid tracking through if possible so I would likely go help them.

7. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would let someone look if they asked for permission, but like you said in your opening statement " seems like basic respect for both the deer and hunter" the problem with some people today is a basic respect for others! Dont come to my house demanding things or have an attitude and we will get along fine. If you gonna not be respectful to me i wont allow you to search. my point is people need to get back to having respect for others. What ever happened to manners? its rare to see young people today use words like sir or mam.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say that I do have a neighbor same one that had an issue with the blood coming out of a doe I shot that if I have a deer cross the fence I love them enough to protect them from the truth and remove the deer, they would not prevent me from recovering but nothing good would come from me having to explain I need to track a wounded animal. I am 100% certain that if they were asked their preference they would say they would rather not know.

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if it dies on my land, its going into my freezer. Otherwise, be a better shot.

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ****** bag post of the month right here^^. Congrats

11. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you tag it, wouldn't that be considered poaching?

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as they ask permission before coming on my land, I would have no issue with them looking. People have done the same for me. I would help them look if I had the time.

13. StukUmm007

StukUmm007 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Similar thoughts here! I would want to know where it crossed and if they truly recovered the animal. Its a saddened world when one has a hard thought trusting a neighbor, But knowing all the details makes building that respect and trust that much easier. If willing able and Knowledgeable, the land owner knows every inch of there property to help as a speedy recovery with little disturbance to the property, and not just careless wandering stirring up the woods during the best time of year.

14. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Respect is the key word here. I have helped track and recover deer on my land when people have asked. I allow youth hunters to hunt on my land and use my blinds, if the young person asks themselves.

At the same time, I have one neighbor that I will have arrested if I ever catch him on my land. Something about cutting firewood on my land, without asking and then selling it and after being confronted and being told to NEVER step foot on my land, an illegal deer, somehow was shot and left in front of one of my stands and then the Game Warden was called??????????

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You must have 0 friends.

17. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have no issues as long as I was they contacted me first. We don't own land but we lease 200 acres of a farm. The owner would leave it up to us if anything like this ever came up.

18. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will allow my neighbors to come onto my property if they call in advance and like others have said, would offer to help. If that help is declined, I would want to know if they ended their search and if they recovered the animal on my property.

This goes for all my neighbors except one because this guy has no respect for his neighbors. He puts his stands within feet of the property line facing the neighbors and in one case across the line facing back to his property.

The one time I granted permission, I asked that he tell me he recovered the deer and if recovered on my property to field dress it on the edge my field-not in the woods. He was also asked to remove any tracking material (surveyors tape) unless it was biodegradable.

He never told me that he recovered the deer and much to my chagrin, I found the remnants of a gut pile not 5 yards from one of my stands. The fool also used an axe to make a blaze on trees or outright cut saplings down to mark his trail.

This is just one example of the crap he pulls. He has 3 properties bordering his. 2 of us have told him in person (each of us witnessing for the other) that he does not have permission to be on our property for any reason. He will be charged if he steps foot on our properties.

We had to resort to this because he would not sign for our certified letters. He was given a copy before we left so he can't say he was not warned.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry in advance, but I'm going to attempt to gain as much understanding before I simply pull out the "you're an ***hole" type of thought which sadly impulsively came to my mind reading your statement.

Have you had terrible problems with neighbors? Or trespassing? Or poor shot neighbors?

All of these things could easily justify ill feelings towards this question and to an extent your comment then would hold more validity even in my opinion.

Honestly I think your opinion (if true and not trolling) is just as bad as a PETA or anti-hunter sharing their thoughts...if not worse because you claim to be a hunting brother. If someone legally does everything right...and the deer expires on your ground it is 100% wrong to refuse them (perhaps not illegal in some states but unequivocally wrong IMO) if they respect your property by not stepping foot on it without your permission but request so for recovery.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What if somebody hit a monster buck with their car and it ran on your property and died, would you give permission then? What if it was a buck you had on camera and hunted it for a couple of years?