TV Show Honesty

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skywalker, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin's thread got me to thinking. Last night as I laid in bed I tuned in the Sportsman channel. A show that is call The Hunt was on. I've watch a bit of this show in the past and thought it was pretty solid. Last night, it just irritated me. The Episode was called Powder River Pow Pow and the hunter was hunting during the rut. He had some pretty decent footage of a buck that was chasing some does pretty hard. Eventually the buck presents a standing broadside shot and the hunter takes the shot with his high powered rifle. Missed the buck so badly that the buck only ran a short distance and stopped again presenting another standing broadside shot opportunity. The hunter takes a second shot, this time connecting with the hind quarter of the buck. Basically one of the worst shots I've ever seen aired on TV(or internet for that matter). Terrible shot.

They showed no follow-up, or blood trailing. Just the recovery. Not once did they acknowledge taking two bad shots. I'm sorry, but I want honesty. I can't stand when they play off a terrible shot like nothing happened. The hunter never showed any remorse or concern about the shot. Just kept mentioning it being a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can almost guarantee they had to track that buck and finish the job because the shot was that bad. Is it that hard to just be honest about what you did?

2. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I do not watch the "Sportsmen or Outdoor Channels ". All the drama and BS has ruined it.

3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not advocating a hind quarter shot at all...but...it is a lethal shot and they should die fast.

But the gist of your point is a good one: it is poor role modeling and dishonest to act like that is a preferred target site.

4. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    IF you hit an artery, that's a fatal shot! That's a really big IF!

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've made bad shots, it happens. I'm just not going to pretend I didn't screw the pooch. These shows need to know that without honesty and integrity they will quickly lose their audience. Not to mention, if I was a sponsor, I wouldn't really want my brand to be associated with it.

6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see the distinction. Thanks for clarifying so I wouldn't misinform.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was super hunter celebrity Greg Miller. He shot off of a monopod both times. Clean miss the first shot and shot it in the hind quarter the second. Then only showed him walk up to it in the moon light then chuming it up with some dude with it in the back of the truck.

They never showed anything other than it's head and antlers after it ran. Makes you wonder what happened after the shot.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Ding, Ding, Ding. Exactly!!! Besides the terrible shooting, they tried to pass the buck off as some type of monarch. Looked like about 115" all day long.

9. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    we have a tradition at our hunting camp the night before opening day of rifle we sit down and watch hunting dvds and laugh at the horrible shots that are celebrated and how many tv personalites say "smoked him" after clearly botching the shot. I'm part of a show airing on the hunt channel at the end of the month so i have been filming my hunts this yr. The buck i shot this yr was a gut shot. I recovered him after waiting a few hrs, but i dont know whether he moved or i did something wrong with my shot but i looked at the camera and was honest about it. I felt terrible and was sick to my stomach about it. I dont know why its so hard to be truthful. mistakes happen its how you handle them afterwards that shows what type of character you have

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Same with me. I also film for a show. I had great footage of my buck coming in aggressive to my decoy. I let the arrow fly broadside at about 12 yards. It was a very steep angle and I blew the shot. Hit high and forward. I was very lucky as he dropped right in his tracks and a I was able to get a follow up arrow in him. I filmed it all and was very truthful in the footage and interview about the shot. I might mock up some footage for b-roll shots, but I'll never try and gloss over or fake the footage to cover for a mistake or bad shot.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah my wife laughs at me when I start complaining about the shots some o these guys are taking. I know it probably stressful to get enough footage for a show but at some point you have to admit you jacked up. Hard quartering to shots, shots in the hind flanks. I understand making a bad shot as it happens to us all. But why air that and if you do air it why act like everything was kosher. Not everyone does it but it seems to be more common now than not.

12. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I be had some pretty bad shots with a rifle and still only tracked 25yds rifle changes the game when it comes to bad shots. Granted your shooting a decent caliber. I can't tell you how many deer I've seen go unrecovered after being shot with a 223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like pig man and bone collector no crap from them

14. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get the Outdoors Channel with my TV package and would have to pay extra for it so I don't bother. I was watching some hunting shows on the TV at the house we were at during my hunt in Canada. I noticed this as well for several shows. Not necessarily that shots were bad, but nothing more than the shot and a dead animal. The guides we were with said they've noticed several times the buck recovered was not the buck shot. Similar looking but not the same animal. A lot of these shows don't show the real truth and promote poor hunting for the sake of TV ratings and sponsors.

I'll watch REAL hunting shows on YouTube like BHOD or Midwest Whitetail any day of the week over TV shows.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is why I dislike the TV hunting industry, the influence they have with young hunters and the the product schilling it is as fake as can be.

16. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a difference between "taking" a bad shot and Making" a bad shot. Everybody screws up a shot at some point and the difference between us and them is they are getting paid to produce some kind of footage no matter how bad it is. I stopped watching that crap a long time ago, the so called hunting shows are just product placement spots with vary little hunting involved.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You used TV hunting and honesty in the same sentence :lmao2:

18. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I can tell you for a fact that our show is honest and will only air 100% real and truthful hunts. If the hunt doesn't meet the criteria, it will not be aired.

As far as product placement and promoting, well your going to get that in every show because those sponsors are paying the bills.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand how the game is played, I just do not like the game.

20. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this is a good topic for discussion. I was one of those impressionable kids that used to watch the big name hunting shows and thought that was how it really happened every time. As I got older, I quickly realized that they are in the business of entertainment more than hunting. Not all of them but a good majority of them. It's been a few years ago that I heard an interesting story about Greg Miller and I forget the other guy that is on his show with him. A guy that works with my Dad is an outfitter in western Oklahoma and had Greg Miller and another guy come hunt on one of his places and film it for their show. He told about how they had him strategically place piles of corn in spots that could be hidden from the camera shot. For instance, behind an old tree trunk or thicket. Now, I'm not saying I haven't ever shot a deer off of a corn pile as it is legal in my state, but it's just the premise of not being honest about the hunt. About the only TV shows I watch any more are Major league bowhunter, Buckventures, and Heartland Bowhunter. I appreciate the shows like BHOD that have integrity and will show the whole story, good or bad.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016