New York Doe Down - With Video

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by emgepi, Dec 3, 2016.

1. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my goals this year was to focus on shooting a deer with my bow on video. I had a couple of opportunities on bucks but it didn't work out. I ended up filling my regular season tag with my rifle.

Once the snow flew, we started seeing tons of deer. On this particular piece of property, I had only seen 5 deer all season until last weekend. Last Saturday after the first heavy snow, I saw 13. We didn't end up getting any deer last weekend and decided to just leave them alone all last week and keep them comfortable until this weekend. The weather warmed up and melted everything we had.

I got in the stand at 2:05 after checking a couple of cameras. I saw the first deer 10 minutes later. I watched the doe and fawn feed for about 40 minutes when I heard some footsteps behind me. Eventually I see movement about 30 yards to my left. I thought there were 1 or 2 coming. It turns out there were 7, 5 of which made it to the field before I shot. I ranged her at 30.5 yards and let the arrow fly. I ended up bumping the camera with my elbow when I drew back and when I released the arrow. I also had to adjust the camera at the beginning of the video since it was going to stop me from getting to full draw.

I immediately knew I wasn't happy with where the shot hit. I saw the lighted nock go in high and back. My dad came over and we went to the point of impact to try and find first blood and decide what to do. As soon as we got to the spot, I could see her white belly laying about 80 yards away. We carefully examined her with the binoculars and decided she was done. That's probably it for me for this year unless we find property to hunt for the final week of late muzzleloader since our lease is closed.

Upon review of the video, she dropped a decent amount before the arrow ever got there and was turning to leave.

20161203_152306.jpg

Here you can see her reaction just before the arrow got there.
    Doe shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    She was a huge doe. Do you have any idea what she weighed? Congrats on the successful filming job.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

3. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great work!

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Huge doe, congrats brother!!

5. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer. That's a big doe. Where in NY?

6. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well done. Enjoy that nice big doe!
    If only my buck dropped like that and moved 5 yards closer I could have hit him. I was way short-rookie mistake.

7. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure. I'm going to try and remember to put her on the scale before we take care of her.

8. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting in the 6K WMU.