Halon 32

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skywalker, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from the bow shop. I got to shoot the Halon 32 and the No-Cam HTX. I didn't care for the No-Cam much at all. Too short of an ATA for me and I didn't really like the draw cycle. I liked just about everything about the Halon 32. There was just one thing that bothered me. After the shot, the bow vibrated, almost like a tuning fork. I could feel the vibrations going from top to bottom. Very strange. I'm hoping it was just something weird with how the bow was setup, but it was certainly not dead in the hand like most reviews I have seen claiming. The No-Cam was dead in the hand, so I could tell a very stark difference between the two bows. Lets here some thoughs.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My Halon 32 with zero accessories other than a rest and sight is 100% dead in the hand. Zero vibration on the shot. Not to say every single one they make is going to be that way, but it definitely shouldn't have the type of vibration you're experiencing.

As for the NoCam system, it definitely draws a lot stiffer than the Crosscentric cams do. However I still think that HTX is quieter and has less vibration than either my Halon or Halon 32, which are both great bows in their own right. If you don't like the ATA on the HTX then an HTR may be more up your alley. Although if the draw cycle is a killer for you then it's a moot point.

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think there had to be something wrong with that bow, or maybe it was way out of timing or something. I'm going to have to go shoot another one at a different shop just to be sure though. As long as I can verify that vibration is not the norm, I think the 32 will work out for me.

4. BowhuntOrDie

BowhuntOrDie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a Halon 32 at my local shop the other day, and definitely did not feel the vibration youre experiencing. I wonder if something wasnt tightened completely? I personally loved the 32 other than the weight, but my opinions on weight are incredibly biased because ive spent my whole life shooting lighter bows!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I don't might a little heavier bow, really helps hold on the target for me. I am surprised at how heavy the Halon 32 is, and really noticed the difference between it and the No Cam HTR. It was balanced well enough that I didn't have any issues with the weight.

6. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought one today. Mine does not have any vibration at all.. must have been something off with the setup or something loose on the one you shot. I'm very impressed with this bow.

7. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot one at the shop recently and the one I shot had considerable vibe after each shot. I don't know anything about tuning the cam systems on mathews new bows. It was quiet but it had vibe no doubt about it. The halon 6 from last year and the htr Ive shot never had vibe. Either way I liked the bow. That long riser really holds rock solid at full draw and the newer flat back grip is awesome. I found the one I shot felt much stiffer to draw than the halon 6 as well so perhaps something was off on the bow.

8. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The no cam HTR is 32" ATA. Really pleased with mine. I felt absolutely no vibration on either the HTR, HTX, or Halon when I tested them before purchasing. I thought the no cam had a smoother draw than the 2016 halon. Glad to hear the Halon 32 is smoother. I'm sure its a sweet rig!

9. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    did anyone feel like the halon 32 was top heavy? I held one at my local shop and i was surprised because i felt it would feel heavier. it didn't fell like an almost 5lb bow but it did feel top heavy to me and that kinda concerns me because with my hha kinpin dovetail sight i dont want to have to fight the bow because its to top heavy

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    There was no doubt it was heavier than the HTX that I shot. I shot the Halon 32 first, then grabbed the HTX and was surprised at the difference. I didn't feel the 32 was too top heavy for me, It wanted to tilt forward slightly, but once I went to full draw, it was rock solid and very easy to hold steady. I shot about 20 shots out of it and didn't feel any fatigue. I really liked the draw cycle and how it got to the back wall. Way better than the HTX, I just didn't know when I was getting to the back wall on the HTX.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I shot the Halon 32 at the shop I did notice hand shock. After looking the bow the rest was touching the cable roller bar. When it was swapped out with a drop away the vibration went away. I am not sure how I feel about the flat back grip. I may swap that out with a focus grip.

I didn't think the Halon was top heavy. Definitely no where near what the original Monsters were. Bare bow it balanced well.

In comparison to the Obsession the draw cycle is stiff though. I think I like the Obsession better but time will tell.

12. rossragan

rossragan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If the bow was set up for 70 lbs initially and then cranked down to a lighter weight without resetting the string stop, a gap will exist between the string and string stop, resulting in unwanted string vibration after the shot. Just a thought.

I shot a H32-6 on Sunday and thought there was a bit of jump after the shot but didn't feel any vibration. My regular bow is the HTR which has absolutely no bad characteristics after the shot so I noticed both the jump and more noise in the H32. Other than that, I thought the H32 felt much like the HTR from balance and smootheness of draw, albeit a very different draw. I actually sold one of my HTRs to another shooter at the shop on Sunday and used that as a down payment on a H32-7. My thought is that the 7" is closer to the HTR brace height and the result will be a bow with a feel that is even closer to the HTR with an extra 15fps of performance. Hope I'm right since I liked having the two HTRs with one set a little lighter for target and the other peaked for hunting.

13. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have one Mathews dealer locally that makes you leave that "L" shaped hanger they screw into stabilizer hole for them to hang it on their shelf. That truly does have an tuning fork vibe to it. That wasn't your case was it? They're so easy to screw in and out don't know why this local guy won't let you to get a good feel for the bow.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    No, they have anything like that. One person mentioned that it was possible the rest was contacting the cable roller and that could cause it. I can't say for sure, but that does sound plausible. I'm going to shoot another Halon 32 at some point, just to make sure.

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    So I shot another Halon 32 last night. It had less of that tuning fork vibration, but still had a little. I'm hoping that once I get a stabilizer on the rest of my accessories it will deaden out. I wonder if the string stop is extended too far, if that could be causing the vibration. I guess I won't know until I get mine in. Aside from that, I really like the way it holds. It feels very stable and I felt like I could hold very steady on the target.

16. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm afraid to go shoot a new one. Don't need that bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

17. rossragan

rossragan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After reading this discussion, I went in to another dealer and picked up a few of the H32s and, just holding them, I struck the riser with my palm. Going from bow to bow, I could notice different levels of vibration between the bows. Seems odd since they are all machined the same. It left me wondering if there could be that much difference in the raw aluminum blank or if there could be a slight difference in the machining that results in the vibration variation.

18. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting... The second Halon 32 I shot had noticeably less vibration than the first, but still had more than I would have hoped. It's not a deal breaker because I really do like the draw cycle, back wall, weight, stability, string angle and the design.