This one is for Ernie

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CMTRAV, Nov 26, 2016.

1. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I'm gonna apologize now but this is gonna be a long post.

So last Sunday I lost a close friend and neighbor. Ernie was the same age as my parents and treated me like I was one of his sons. He taught me how to do framing, drywall, electrical work, plumbing and many other things.

He introduced me to Craft Beers and how to brew my own beer. He was a jack of all trades and unlike most of us he was a master at almost all of them.

This morning we laid him to rest and after his funeral I told my wife that I wanted to go hunt cause I need some time to think and decompress.

So I headed to the woods and went to a stand we call the pines and set up for an afternoon hunt and peace and quite. I actually didn't even care if I saw a deer or not.

Around 3:30 I saw my first deer of the day a small 4pt a little while later I had a busted up 6pt come through and then around 4:30 I had three bucks start heading towards me.

Sitting in this stand you are facing west and we had a perfect west wind but they started to hold up around 45 yards and acting spooked. This went on for about 5-10 mins then they started to come closer. None of them were shooters but was making for a good evening considering the roller coaster I had been on earlier that day with my emotions.

As the deer got closer I herd a grunt behind me but could see anything this caused the deer in front to stop and stare. Then another deep grunt that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I look to my left and I can see him he is at the edge of the pines. So I slowly stand and grab my bow he walks out into the open at 18 yards.

I put my pin right behind his shoulder and let my arrow fly. I here a smack and he takes off down he hillside.

I sit down and tears are rolling down my face. Climb down look for blood and find the trail he ran 90 yards and expired.

I miss my friend and will always remember him and this buck will have a special place in my hunting history.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow Man! Great story! Sorry for your loss and I'm glad you were able to end on a high note. You really fought for a buck this year and it seems it came at the right time! Thank you for the write up

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are very fortunate to have known a man like Ernie. I am sure your relationship with him has helped mold you into a better person. Carry those lessons with you and pay them forward if given the opportunity.

Congrats on a great hunt and buck.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You were very fortunate yet Ernie can rest assured that his efforts were not lost on you, what a memorial to your friend and mentor congrats.

6. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again on a great buck and thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss, Ernie sounds like a pretty awesome guy and it's great that you got to honor his memory like that. :-)

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow what a crazy few days it must have been. Sorry for your loss my friend and congrats on a great buck!!!

8. Napper

Napper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing. Great write up.

9. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss,great story ,and nice buck.

10. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, just awesome. The relationship you had with Ernie, the memorial, story and of course the buck. Truly a great tribute to your friend. Nice work.

11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great story. Sorry about your friend Ernie, but he will be with you as you move forward in your life. Congrats on your great buck, and cheers to the memory of your friend. God Bless.

12. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect write-up, Chris. I'm sure he'd be very proud! Congrats again, brother!! Let the healing begin.

13. BowhuntOrDie

BowhuntOrDie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your loss buddy. Congrats on a great buck and im sure that day must have truly been a roller coaster of emotions.

14. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Josh! This deer means a lot and started the healing process one of our mutual buddies and his wife both have said it was a great way to celebrate Ernie and he would have been proud.

15. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cool to see it all on the live from the stand thread. Crazy emotional rollercoaster of a day for you. Sorry for your loss, and congrats on the dandy buck. What a story.

Sent from a piece of paper, tied to a rock.

16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What a wonderful tribute to your friend. He sounds like he poured his life into yours. It has obviously made you a better person. You can honor him further by doing the same thing for someone else, as I'm sure you will.

Blessings.......... Pastorjim

Sent from my SC-8809 using Tapatalk

17. denverd1

denverd1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man! What a nice tribute to your friend. Beautiful memory with that buck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk