Single pin expectations?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Nov 20, 2016.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about how some folks say they have trouble getting a single pin sight adjusted for a further out shot. Timing, as a deer gets closer, and actually setting it properly as a possible shot nears. It seems to me if a hunter tends to take longer shots, anything out past 30yrds, they ought to be using a multi-pin sight. I look at a single pin sight as more of a shorter shot distance choice for hunting, and compensating for small differences in yardage. Is this logical thinking, or am I nuts? lol

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Practice is the key. I use a single pin and leave it set at 25 yards. I practice so that I can shoot anything out 35 without moving the pin. It takes more effort and tine to practice to be that proficient. IMO the clearer sight picture is worth it.

3. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 3 pin movable sight for that exact reason. Although I am thinking of pulling a pin to clean things up a little more and doing like a 25 and 40

4. SRArney12

SRArney12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem with mine. I set my pin for where I think they are going to first pop out. Then I just memorize my yardages for my shooting lanes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its not that hard once you begin using it and practice with it in simulated hunting situations. The buck I shot this season came in on me and was 12-15 yards from me. He spooked and started to run off. I grunted him and he stopped around 35 yards. I rolled the sight to 35 and it was lights out. It all happened very quickly but was no problem. The majority of situations are not like that. Try it for yourself and see.

6. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting, i had the exact opposite thought. I figured if the shot was past 40 yards you would have more time to range, get it set and shoot. Also i would think judging the gaps would be harder as it gets further out and exact yardage would be more important. I figured 3 pin is good for closer distance , just pull up the right pin, or gap, and get it done.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

8. J.H.

J.H. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my thinking too, more or less.

9. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem if I need to move my single pin. Depending on which stand I hunt most of the time I set it at 25yds and leave it. At 25yds I can just aim high or low depending on where the deer comes from. To me it's no different than a multi pin cuz most multi pins are set at 20,30,40 yds and when was The last time a deer actually stopped at those ranges. You probably have to use Some Kentucky windage with a multi pin to. Its whatever you get use to

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a multi-pin slider. Best of both worlds.

I generally have a 20, 30, and a 40 yard pin on my setup. I also have a rule that if it's past 40 yards, if everything is perfect I should also have enough time to click with the range finder and dial the sight. If I don't have enough time for that, I have no business shooting at that animal. It's too quick.

I also have another rule, if it's past 30 yards I need to have enough time to actually click the deer with a rangefinder. I like to think my yardage judging is pretty good but the reality is past 30 yards they start to drop pretty fast so I click every time out there.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie with a Dual pin. The second pin gives me another reference that I can use to pin gap with. With mosts bows I have shot it on when set at 20 the second pin is very close at 40. Single pin sight picture with multiple pin advantages.

12. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good rules to have.

13. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone use the multipin sights that are anchored vertically rather than horizontal? I am interested in those, not sure if I like them or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You won't be rushing longer shoots --hopefully-- so you have plenty of time. It's really quick and fast to adjust once you practice with it a few times. The challenge comes if you're already at draw and the deer moves a considerable distance from the yardage you're dialed into.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried one but didn't like it. Found out the expensive way that I preferred the horizontally mounted pins.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app