What's your winter layers?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cmonsta, Nov 10, 2016.

1. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The older I get the more of a wuss I get with cold weather. Cuts right through me these days. As I type this it's mid 30s and I'm hurting lol. What are your layers for say a 0 degree stand hunt with a bow? I've tried manning up but that didn't work out lol.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to the Nomad Primloft pant and Jacket this year. When it gets really cold I add the primaloft Dunn vest and worst case a Drake vest. The Drake really stops the wind. Also remember to cover your neck and head with some fleece or wool. You loose a lot of heat around your neck and head. If it gets crazy cold base layer of merino wool work great. if you can walking to the stand take you jacket off and put it on once you are all settled in. That will make sure you are not sweating. Just gotta play with the system and see what works best for your. The Nomad stuff has reduced my layers and made it easier for me to move but still keeps me warm.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an IWOM my goal every year is to be tagged out before I have to break it out.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My regular hunting clothes, and the Heater Body Suit :tu:

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Zero degrees, just camo body paint. I don't like getting overheated.

OK honestly, I would have my Fleece Military grade base layer, pair of pants and a shirt over that. Pair of quilted bibs, and my heavy hunting jacket (old don't know brand). with wool socks in my Lacrose 800gr boots. would have a pair of gloves with me, but when sitting I keep my hands in a muff.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily haven't had to hunt in really cold temps for years. With three days left in PA's early archery season, it looks like I very likely may have to hunt rifle season (yay).

I have UA Cold Gear and the 3.0 Base's. Then I layer the Fanatic Hoody, Shacked, then Stratus. Pants are Stratus as well.

This has maintained me in ~30 degree temps. Any colder and I will have to add the Fanatic series. I've also considered getting rid of the UA bases since I'm not a huge fan. Maybe just the Core Mid from Sitka. I've also thought of getting a heated sweatshirt.

I get so cold very easily.

7. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a heated vest and insoles that work awesome! They are expensive (luckily I got mine for free) but that work great. Now I just need to get a heated hand muff and I will be set.

8. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to place hot hands around my kidney. Keeps my core pretty warm. I took an old waffle shirt cut the sleeves off and sewed pockets for the hot hands.

9. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear an UA heat gear base layer (shirt), and also a Polartech base layer (shirt). And a thin mesh shirt, and my cameo sweatshirt. As for pants, I wear the good old fashioned long johns, and my regular cameo cargo pants. I wear a regular knee high socks, and a pair of wool socks. Also, wear a scull cap, as well as a carhart olive green ta-bogon. This keeps me pretty good to as low as 25 degrees.

As a thought, I have wondered about using a small trash bag as a vest on really cold days. I would just put it on over my t shirt, and then layer over it to cover any noise it may make. I am thinking it would keep me warm because it won't breathe, trapping all my body heat and blocking the wind. I have just never had the sack to try it (Pun intended). :lol:

10. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As i sat there yesterday freezing my butt off, I was thinking the same thing. I need to invest in some quality warm clothing. Good wool base layers and some nice, Sitka quality, outer layers. Anybody got a spare $5G I can have.

11. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will regret it. You want your stuff to breathe. You would also be trapping moisture and that makes you cold.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a good base layer then my regular hunting clothes that I use for up to 50 degrees. Then at stand I add my heavy layer. Which this year I got Sitka clothing. I invested in the Fanatic Line, I got the bibs and jacket with the wind stopper in it. That make all the difference have a windstopper in your outer layer. Just cutting the wind makes you warmer. I feel comfortable in that from 50 degrees all way down to maybe 10 degrees, for up to 4 hours. Any lower temps then 10 degrees I just limit the time on stand a lot less, maybe 2-3 hours. The sitka gear is a game changer for me! But I know there are other brands that do the same thing. I just got a deal on Sitka that I couldn't pass!

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lottsa hand/body warmers

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't found one I am happy with yet. Like MGH_PA I get cold very easily these days. Last weekend in Ohio it was mid 30's. I had a merino next to skin base layer, then Cabelas ECWCS Polar Weight Fleece layer for insulation, a Stratus vest, Stratus jacket, Stratus pants. And froze my arse off until the sun came up LOL. Then I was just cold.

15. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    milwaukee heated sweatshirt is a 10/10 recommend

16. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is my set up for super cold days

Sitka Merino Top and Bottom
    Sitka Heavyweight Top and Bottom
    Sitka Fanatic Hoody
    Sitka Fanatic Jacket
    Sikta Fanatic Bibs
    Sitka Neck Gaiter
    Sitka Incenerator Hat
    Two Pairs of Merino socks
    Cabelas Dura-Trax insulated Boots

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Merino wool as a second layer. I learned in Wisconsin last week that it gets really warm when wearing it and walking to a stand. Even when the temps are in the 20s. It made me a believer and I will be using it from now on.

18. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  19. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best money I've spent was on my First Lite Sanctuary suit. Then Merino base layers underneath. It's absolutely money for cold weather.

If it's frigid cold, I'll wear my Uncompaghre Puffy jacket underneath too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk