Shot my first archery deer...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PinkPony, Nov 6, 2016.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ...and I couldn't even eat it.

This year had been rough. I've hunted five different spots and and had many, many sits in. Hadn't seen a single deer. Saturday morning I decided to go to my old archery stand after talking to a guy hunting a lower piece of property Friday night. I had a spike underneath me then a unknown buck walk 60 yards through the woods. First deer all season. We leave the woods around 11 and then headed back out for an evening sit. First hour was quiet. Then I seen a deer in the woods (same path as that buck I didn't get a full look at). I stood up and waited, hoping it'd pop out onto road way - it did! So I get anxious not knowing if it'd go up or come down...it came down...to me. I prepare myself and she enters a window about 25 yards away. I draw back, tell myself to breathe, relax, peep site, pin, but I wasn't confident. So I held position. She turned around to go back up and started walking. I stopped her in a nice opening about 18 yards and let arrow fly. Whack. She made a noise then went head first stumbling in weeds before running up hill. I know it wasn't a perfect shot, but arrow was in her when she ran. I then see a buck turn and run through woods.

So, I texted husband, told him, shot a doe. We waited about an hour, since it was only 5:20 when I shot her. He came down to me, fist pumping, he's color blind and saw blood. Good blood. We trailed her awesome blood, bright red, bubbles and going strong.....until we ran across the 4pt. He was running her! We zigged and zagged. Found where she lied down (under brush piles) many times and then got up. So we ran out of light. Went to get flash lights and give her a little time. About hour and a half later, we found her right by where we left off.....eaten by coyotes! They started on hind quarters, neck, one shoulder, and even her ear!

I was devastated. It took me five years and now I don't even have a keepsake from it (found my arrow - but lost it in the tracking job). Amazing how you can go from so excited to heart broken, disappointed, and angry.

She was a very nice sized doe. It was a beautiful moment when it happened. I'm glad I was able to talk myself through it and connect - but very disappointed in outcome. Time change ruins my last week of the season, but will try again next Saturday.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and sorry about the loss has to suck to go from success to having the deer ruined.

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that does suck. Sorry it didn't turn out nor in your favor

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome on your first, sorry about the coyotes. They got the hind end from my buck last year. It sucks, but sometimes out happens. Nature can be cruel. Get back in the saddle and get yourself another one. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Such a gut wrenching feeling - especially with it taking me years to finally connect. I have one full sit left, unless I can get out of work early this week.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! It's your first bow kill, and it counts even though you couldn't save any meat. Those yotes can't take that memory from you!!

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your first bow kill. Hopefully next time, and there WILL be a next time, the yotes don't beat you to it. Wait till it gets a little colder and then go out and exact some revenge on those mangy critters.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    There is a group of guys that hunt them every year after deer season. They got quite a few last year. We thought about going back last night and sit, but I was beat.

But, thank you! Hoping to get it again next weekend.

9. dantheman68

dantheman68 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks big time. Sometimes nature has a different purpose for the animal. The good news is that the deer won't go to waste.

10. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your first, I'm hoping I'll finally get mine this coming weekend since temps finally drop some here!

11. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    You'll get it, Schuls. It took me years and many sits, but I was finally able to do it. I can't even tell you how many times I've wanted to give up!

12. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All the learning almost paid off in 2014, was finally putting myself in positions where deer were moving but the ones that passed by on a few hunts were all no shooters per the land owner :(. Didn't hunt last year due to being deployed and having to start over here in GA learning some public land, but I found a good spot and hopefully it all pans out this weekend!

13. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good opportunity to hunt some yotes after the season and get some pay back. That sucks about your dear especially the first one. Keep workin at it itll pay off again

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to read that. I know you have been hunting hard. Good luck next Saturday!

15. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your first bow kill, sorry to here about your lost,keep on hunting it happen to all of us.

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thankful to have found her - knowing she was dead.

Will try again. Thanks everyone.

17. kansasfever

kansasfever Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Terrible luck with the yotes but a feeling that you will never forget. Keep at it and you will recover plenty of great deer!

18. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sucks that you couldn't recover the meat.Those coyotes can't steal the memory though and that's what counts.

19. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice to get your first one. Now go get some coyotes and another deer.

20. norseman112

norseman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your first and good shot to. Sometimes predators can ruin our day. Sorry it happen to you, but remember the good shot and the thrill of your first bow kill.

Tags: