Small Update

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jvella, Oct 28, 2016.

1. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all. So i have been hunting this new piece of public land that no one really hunts or knows about. I have been seeing tons of mature does running around and a 2 year old 4 pointer. Last night, a larger group of does stepped out about 400 yards from me. They seemed pretty skittish and one seemed to be chasing several does around. I presume it was a buck but again they were 400yards away and I couldn't quite tell.

I am seeing more sign around my stand but I am concerned that I am not going to see any bucks. They are also starting to move around a lot earlier in the evening. I've hunted this spot a few times in the morning but it is for sure an afternoon spot since they normally bed around the area my stand is located at night. Should I assume that there are no mature bucks(other than the spike) hanging out with these does? I just do not understand how this could be since all these does are very mature.

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have does then there's something making them multiply. The buck your seeing has a dad out there. It's still early and mature bucks normally don't chase until the does are good and ready. Hang in there the best is yet to come. I'll in S IL and our rut doesn't really kick off until the 2nd week of November

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A great indication of when rut is on is when you can see a does leg gland change to dark brown. If you see this then hold on tight because your hunt should get really exciting following the doe

4. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^This is the ticket. Just hang in there. When those does come in to heat, the bucks can come from a couple miles away looking for some lovin. The bucks will show up when the time is right. Sounds like you've got a heck of a rut hunting spot. Good luck!!

5. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really hope so. This is my first full bow season, and man I could've smoked one of them does a few times but I only have 1 tag so I figured if the does aren't leaving I might as well wait until the last day of bow season! I can see it now, first bow kill 10-point pope and young!:tu:

6. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of smoker would you use to smoke one of those doe?

7. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck is just around the corner.

8. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man, anything can happen! This is my 3rd year of serious bowhunting and killed my first deer with a bow last year.
    155" 13 pt :chewy:

9. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always say "Where the ladies are, the boys will show up!".

10. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well tonight was amazing! Finally saw a decent sized buck, small rack 8 pointer. Maybe 3 years old but small rack. Came charging thru couldn't get him to stop moving so I could take a shot. Hopefully bigger ones on the way!

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very true I don't even try to pattern a buck, just keep tabs on the does.

12. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have the does, the bucks will come. The mature bucks usually never start showing up in daylight until the first 2 weeks of November. I wouldn't change anything. If you have the does patterned and are close by, the bucks will be sure to folow.