Summer Weather in S. Illinois

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mnardo72, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Mnardo72

Mnardo72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first bowhunting trip starts tomorrow in Jersey County, IL and the weather is 60low/75high for the entire trip. Can anyone please convince me that this does not matter. Thank you in advance :lmao2:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ya. I have a four day hunt scheduled starting Friday with high's/low's 80/61, 77/52, 70/56, 81/57. The one thing we have going for us is that it will be a new moon on Sunday. That should have them on their feet during daylight hours still.

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Won't lie to you, that's not good. I hunt down there but I'm passing on this weekend. Get in the stand early, you're best chance is the first hour of the day, and of course the last hour.
    But hey, anything is possible, good luck

4. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am just west of Southern Illinois in SE Missouri! This weather absolutely sucks right now. 78 to 80 on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Tomorrow is the last "cool" day for about a week. And by cool I mean sub 75? Crazy!

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    reminds me of last year. first week in november in western Illinois, i was hunting in a t-shirt and sweating. I didn't see a single shooter. BUT.....right down the road people had action all day with chasing, and bucks cruising, even in the middle of the day.

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The weather sucks. But it appears relief is on the way mid to late next week. Thats not going to help your situation now. But take this into consideration. Last year, I hunted the first week in November in Northern Missouri in warm weather. On my second sit, I saw the biggest deer I ever seen in the wild (mid 170's). I also saw a great 150ish deer two days later who bedded down mid morning, but was on his feet when he saw a doe cruise by. When the rut is on, and there is a hot doe in the area, it does not matter. If the buck pushes her out of a bed he will follow and harass her wherever she goes (which is anyones guess).

I've seen chasing, fighting, scraping, etc in 70 plus degree weather. Anything can happen. Get in the stand and hunt. Hell, you won't have to worry about getting cold and you can sit all day comfortably.

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm off next Wednesday to attempt an all day sit. Hopefully the weather changes

8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be hunting Friday-Monday and with a new moon I have often seen decent movement mid-day so I am going to make sure I am out there during that 11-2 range at least once this weekend.

9. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had bucks on their feet and some chasing the last 3 days and new ones showing up on camera. Had a 150" 10 pointer snort wheeze and dog a doe around last night never coming into range. It's gearing up but this weather is going to make it slow down for a few days. I'm sitting Friday and Saturday out unless my trail cameras force my hand.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am heavily leaning towards an all day sit Sunday and going fishing Monday or just heading back to work Halloween day.

If it was during my vacation I would go and sit as long as I could, just not sure it is he right stage of the rut to justify sitting through 80 degree weather.

Thinking Friday morning hunt, use it to judge a Saturday morning hunt, all day Sunday and let it determine Halloween.

Saturday evening may be good as the front is moving in.

Really hard choice as where I hunt my antler sightings are cruisers. I don't have fields to hunt.