Blind material for climber?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Incog, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is just my personal opinion. This is kind of where a hang on treestand shines. I like using my summit viper but I always have felt that if you cant get atleast in a group of 2-3 trees you stick out like a sore thumb unless you get 18+ feet. Having a small hang on, your up against the tree and then your just a smaller lump against the tree versus a summit where your basically a big block sticking out. I think having that little blind wrapped around your viper would only make things more obvious so I personally wouldnt use it.

Over the last 5-6 years I can honestly say that i've seen more deer within shooting range using a hang on stand instead of just seeing deer at a distance (50+ yds away) Typically in my hunting area I can only see about 60-80 yards being thicker.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like a lot of hassle and potential safety concerns using with a climber. I wouldn't want to try setting one up in the dark, and after first light taking a big risk trying to set it up without being busted.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think generally speaking some extra cover is a decent idea with a climber. Generally trees used climbing stands have no cover at all.... if not this maybe some material draped around the stand.

5. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately, I hunt on public land and even locked tree stands walk away quickly. I tend to agree with Kurve because even when sitting completely still, I have had deer suddenly look up right at me. It could be that they busted me on a previous day climbing up or down.

I use a static line with two prussic knots, one to clip to and one with a foot loop to relieve pressure should I take a tumble. I was thinking that on the ground I could hook the bottom of the blind to the platform with another line to one of the top grommets. That would allow me to pull it up and secure the top half.

Last year was my first year with the climber and I took two bucks on opening day. This year has been a little more challenging as I have been busted 3 times by deer coming up behind me. Two while trying to move to get a shot and one due to wind.

6. Buck Jaeger

Buck Jaeger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd much prefer to brush it in with some natural material. Get some 1" pvc attach to the stand in a few spot and put some trimmings in the tubes.

Cheap easy and effective

7. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe a trip to a craft store (Michaels) and get some artificial branches that look natural to put in the pic tubes

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

8. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The more stuff you put around you is more stuff in the way when you get ready to shoot. I hunt out of a climber alot and sit in a leafy suit with a head net. Try to set where the sun will behind you or as much back drop as possible. Watch the wind.

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree, plus it's just something else to lug in with you. Hunt higher up, 20' and up is good. I rarely get busted.

10. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Next year, I'll try a combination. I have a lone wolf hang on that was given to me that I will put for all south winds and hunt higher in my climber for northerly winds. I was up about 20ish feet, but the tree is really naked.