Dead or alive?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Frky1, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Frky1

Frky1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Took a far shot didn't have rage finder with me misjudged by ten yards was low have lighted knocks looked like it went right under deer maybe just grazing him buck jumped went 5 feet into bush stood there with tail up for 2 min and disappeared thought for sure I missed continued hunting 2 hours later crossed stream making ton of noise to retrieve arrow it was covered from broadhead to knock rusty color looked like piece or to of fat and several white hairs zero bloodtrail spent 3 hours looking everywhere for blood or any sign found nothing at all I clearly hit deer but was it gut shot or just wound gonna ran all day tomorrow any suggestions??

2. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does the arrow smell like guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any pic of the arrow?

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There was your first mistake. Don't shoot past your effective range. If you misjudged by 10yrds, I don't see how you hit it at all. Also, use capitals and some punctuation, it makes life a lot less miserable.

5. Frky1

Frky1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't smell awful.Was more of a brown then red on the white fleshing but covered from tip of broadhead to end of knock thought for sure I missed or would have never gone after it,With the white hairs is it possible it's not a gut shot and just grazed him

6. Frky1

Frky1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The buck stood there for 2 min like I never hit him ,you would think there would be at least one drop of blood

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not always. Sometimes when there gut shot, the guts will clog the hole right as there shot. Head to water tomorrow, and check the banks. You find your buck dead.

8. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't sound good. You should work on figuring out your effective range without a range finder. And remember that bow season is long, if you know what I'm sayin... You should at least look for that deer tomorrow. You owe it that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn...do you ever give any thought to what you're doing or just react and hope for the best...smh.

10. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You hit it and where it stood for minutes you were unable to find a drop of blood? In my experience a low brisket hit bleeds good for the first 100 yards then the fat and blood clots the wound. If you're above a muscle hit you're into a lung, liver, or stomach. If there is no food matter on the arrow probably not stomach. If liver or 1 lung may or may not live, need to give it more searching time tomorrow even if it's raining.

Good luck, hope you find your deer.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me like you poked through some fat. But like was said, get out there tomorrow and search. Find someone to help you. If you don't then just hang up your bow. Theres more to hunting than letting arrows fly.

12. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How was the deer standing when it stopped for those few minutes?? Did it hunch up and walk away from that spot?? If that was the case then I would be almost certain of a gut shot. The above post talking about water is right on the money. Walk the banks of that creek, if he's shot in the guts then he will be there.

13. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A grid search along the creek would not be a bad ideal. If the deer walked off and you did not leave the stand for two hours he was bedded up by then. There is a good chance you went through the brisket and it will live... they are tough. Coyotes and possums need to eat too.
    Even without a range finder you should know the range from your stand. When you practice step out the distance. So this becomes normal and you know that this pin of 30 yards is 33 of your steps. Then at the stand mark out your steps to markers like a tree or clump or put a small stick up. Then you have a reference (in the Army we made a range card from the foxhole) to then gauge the range.
    Forrest Gump said "It happens, **** does " live and learn.

14. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if its tail was UP after you shot at it, then you didn't gut shoot it, most likely a brisket, and most likely a deer still walking around.