Hunting in the rain

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 18andrew, Oct 20, 2016.

1. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you guys like to sit when it's raining? I usually see deer feeding in the fields while it's raining so I like to sit on the edge of them but it's almost impossible for me to keep dry doing to..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well you're either sitting inside of a blind, or sitting inside of some rain gear. At least that's where I like to sit when its raining.

3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to say it before someone else gets a chance. The front seat of a truck........................
    Really, when I hunt in the rain I try to hunt in the timber near oak trees.

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rain doesn't change WHERE I sit, it just changes what I'm wearing. All of my camo is water PROOF though. If it's pouring I'm not in the woods, but I'll sit out in a light rain or drizzle.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If more than a drizzle, I'll be hunting in the fridge.

I have waterproof camo so I don't get wet, but rain and blood trails do not mix the best and I don't like the increased risk of not being able to recover a deer that doesn't drop quick.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it is pouring, I am sitting at home or in my truck. A light drizzle I will hunt and I don't change my tactics any. It's not worth the risk of losing a blood trail to me. Every year you read stories of guys who either started tracking too soon because of rain or lost the trail because of it.

7. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my recliner with a cup of coffee and the remote control. Seriously though if I must hunt in the rain I still hunt. I have taken a couple nice bucks by sneaking around. Knowing your hunting area and using terrain to your advantage is imperative for this to work. Nothing more rewarding than taking a deer that way with a bow.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I typically hunt back in the woods about 100 yards or so off of food sources. I have found that deer tend to hang back in the woods a little more during or after rain. I think the rain has a cleansing effect on scent and their nose does not pick up on scents as well. From my observations, this makes deer less likely to enter open fields during daylight hours.

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll hunt the rain if I know its gonna end or if its just a drizzle. Especially a drizzle that has set in for all day. Early season I like scrape lines, or food. But then again thats where I'm hunting anyways.

10. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Drizzle no problem but a steady rain and my arse is gone.

11. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I can't ensure myself a good blood trail, I won't hunt.

12. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Light rain, only taking higher percentage shots. Heavy rain and its time to go home.. too much risk and its no fun sitting in a downpour.

13. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My cold weather gear has gortex so i'll wear that as long as its not warm out. If its raining I'll plan to head out just before the rain is done. If its drizzling or a light rain i'll sometimes even wait a bit. Now if i'm already on stand and then it starts to rain i'll usually stay on stand unless it really starts coming down. (I only hunt in the rain during the rut)

I need to invest in some waterproof camo for when its warm out still. Any suggestions? Dont need anything expensive.

14. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man I wish I went out yesterday.. Just driving 15 miles in the rain I counted probably 20 deer in the fresh cut soy and hay fields.. I just always seem to see them in the fields when it's raining

16. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Light rain, you bet! Light snow, dang right. Both mean a pressure change and fish and game seem to feed. As long as it is not storming! . My popup blind is water proof and I have a umbrella that straps onto a tree and sheds most off me in the climber or ladder stand. I put burlap on it to quiet it. Good gear worth the price.
    Yes blood trail is an issue in a rain so make sure to take only good shots and limit to less than 30 yards. But the rain washes out scent so it helps and the deer thinks most of us are hunting in the fridge and our stand is a couch. I will go hunting.

PLEASE remember... more people suffer hypothermia when getting wet and the temperature is above freezing. It can kill you.

17. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Down pour and its to the truck or house. Lighter rain and I an in a tree with rain gear and a tree umbrella. I kind of enjoy the solitude as most of the other guys stay in.