What's your thoughts

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Born2Hunt, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright I have been hunting my buddies property for a few years now. He hardly has his own trees stands so I have been generous and always told him that he could use my stands. However this year he's been using my stands like crazy and now his wife is now using my stands and over hunting them during the week . So when I want to use them comes Friday or the weekend they are over hunted. This morning he shot a decent buck out of my stand his wife saw 2 does a buck out of it last night. So I guess my question is would you say anything to him about hunting out of my trees stands and over hunting them or just keep my mouth shut and not worry about it. What would you guys do. I'm grateful that he allows me to hunt and I have been grateful for him to hunt my stands for a few years but I guess I was hoping he would have had his own stands by now...let's hear it

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you pay to hunt be a good guest and let him use what he wants. Opportunity cost.

3. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    His property? I would keep my mouth shut about it.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "When you dance with the devil you wait with a soul to stop"
    quote from " Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels"

I had a similar situation in the past. You could ask him but I think he and the Mrs's have already given you an answer.

It great to have the property to hunt and be thankful for that, now start searching for your own land or a lease for the future.

In the mean time find the areas they are pushing these deer to and figure how to hunt them now from the ground, with a climber or sticks and hang-on.

Keep the friendship healthy.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot would depend on how big his land is and how much room for stands there is and how many stands you have out, but I would always try to discuss and have an agreed upon plan. Why stands are in certain locations, and what the wind should be for each. If he was to buy and put his owns stands would he have to kick yours because those are the best spots. In the end its their land to use as they choose.

6. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    after season pull your stands and buy a climber

otherwise I agree with others, if you are using their land whenever you want for free, seems like bad form to be mad at them for using your stands whenever they want.

7. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    I have mentioned to him that if you want to move your stand into one of those spots that I have my treestands I said that's fine I'll find another spot to move mine I mentioned it's not the end of the world but in the end he doesn't move his stands I'm just stuck in the middle...in the end I think I'm going to keep my eyes opened for other properties to hunt next year or try to figure something out between me and him but in reality I'm just stuck

8. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    Agree

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say a word, but if truly bugging you plan on some sneak attack set ups in the rain and hunt then take down sits after a week or so.

Keep some areas un-hunted unless they want to hang their own stand. In the end though I ain't saying a word if hunting for free. Wouldn't stop me however from taking down some stands next summer and not putting one up in an area I really like hunting till it is go time.

10. StinkyMatt

StinkyMatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    His land......I would be thankful for the opportunity.

If he was able to hunt from these "overhunted" stands and harvest a buck and his wife was in another "overhunted" stand and saw multiple deer.......maybe they aint so overhunted? ;)

11. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try taking the last 4 steps out when you leave and let him know it's for his own safety that their lives are relying on you! Your concerned for their safety tell him and see how reacts to your explanation,maybe he'll take it in a gracious manner and not kick you off his land and thank you for your concern.
    Rocky

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say a thing about them using your stands. That's not going to go over well.

Depending on the relationship I had with them, and size of the property.........I might bring up the idea of all three of you sitting down with a map and figuring out some areas you can put up more stands so that the three of you can hunt without over pressuring any specific spot. I'd also volunteer to pick up the cost of the additional stands if they needed to be purchased.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the way you respond to this situation should be relative to the type of rapport you have with this fellow. Just remember, don't bite the hand that feeds you! haha

14. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Be thankful they let you hunt their land. Harder and harder these days to find free private land to hunt. Even though annoying, I feel like you can't say too much since you are the guest and you invited him to hunt your stands. Hopefully they will get some early kills and then you can have the area to yourself.

15. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beggars can't be choosers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only way I could think of to maybe not upset him is to hang a new set and just ask him politely if it would be okay if you sat there first or tell him you want to save this stand for the rut something along those lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny that you mentioned that...we just hung this stand Saturday morning we put it right between two scrapes I told him that I would like to hunt this stand on Friday night and he was more than willing to let me but then they hunted it last night and this morning he must not have gotten what I was trying to say it's all good..like I mentioned his land so I can't really complain however still bothers me.

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can, have it both ways. Always good to have options.

If you find some new property he'll be your guest and then you can have the conversation with him about "stand Rights". The wife may still hunt your stands but it's her land so be happy for her.

PS, Be mindful of how you word these issues on an open forum. These threads stay around forever and if your friends come here it could get messy.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  19. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is this your primary hunting area? If so I guess your stuck with the situation. If not I'd leave one stand in there and pull everything else out. How big is the area your hunting? Sounds like your a hunting guide for him on his property.

20. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Move the stand and don't tell him where you put it.