When do you replace broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dillon31, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Dillon31

Dillon31 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard after every kill and I've heard of some people reusing them til they're too beat up to fly straight. When do you guys replace yours? also I'm using the new rage three blades called the "Rage Kore" and i don't like the lack of blood trail they make. What mechanical broadhead do you guys recommend?

2. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Broadheads are not disposable for simply having been shot through a game animal. sharpening broadheads was the norm and a bowhunters skill set to take pride in. Granted if a head gets bent or broken, you need to replace it but dull does not equate to throw away.

We started an entire company on broadhead sharpening and its clear to us that many people re-sharpen their blades and use them over and over regardless if its a fixed blade or replaceable blade broadhead. We reuse ours until they are broken or the blade is chipped so deeply that no amount of sharpening will clean it up (re hit a rock).

Its so easy to spin test to see if the ferrul is straight and then re-sharpen and head back to the woods rather than throwing away money.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  3. OneNdone

OneNdone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always heard after every shot replace or sharpen the blades. It can get expensive quick when you're replacing broadheads after every shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the cost of broadheads and arrows, this can become (a more) expensive hobby if you toss the broadhead after a shot through an animal and/or into the dirt. Inspect, sharpen, reinstall, carry-on. :deer:

With regard to which mechanical to buy, what are your bow stats?

5. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    up until last year I was shooting the cheap Scheel's branded Gold Tip arrows and Magnus Stingers, I would "trophy" the arrow and head after taking a deer with it, they hang in my garage where I can see them.

might seem dumb but I like it.

I now shoot much nicer arrows and this year I will be shooting the same arrow I took my deer with last year, HOWEVER the head I used (a mechanical) had a blade break, and since it costs pretty much the same to buy all new heads compared to the cost to buy new replacement blades, that head is not getting fixed/reused.

Thats the problem with some of the mech heads, the blades are small and break easier than a fixed head would.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a good review about the rage kore's
    I shoot rage chisel tip xtreme's

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never reuse a mechanical, then again I only shoot 1 arrow into deer a year. I was a rage user in the past I am using the muzzy hybrid this year. Couple advantages of the muzzy the 2-5/8" of blade and no blade retention clips, bands, or orings.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Slick Tricks in part because of the ease of blade replacement. I buy the replacement blades as needed. The only time I buy a complete new broadhead is if the ferrule is damaged after a shot. That has only happened once, after a pass-through the arrow hit a rock in the ground.

8. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a buck already this year with some NAP spitfire double cross and honestly its still awfully sharp. I have zero doubt if it was shot through two more ribs and some lungs it would cut and kill. I know some think this is terrible but...I'll probably put a quick fresh edge on with my sharpener and use it again.

9. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And... they work...plain and simple. Awesome design, nothing to keep up with, just aim and shoot. I know that NAP has some good broadheads because I have seen them in action, I just think this new Muzzy design is the bees knees because I have seen them work.

10. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    There's no reason not to if they are still doing the job. ;)

11. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can reuse mechanicals no problem and resharpen as needed. Touch em up after each kill, you may not even need to do that though to be honest. At $35-$40 a pack it can add up quickly if your taking alot of deer and tossing them after each kill.

12. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I replace the blades and put the arrow on the shelf if it's used to harvest an animal. If anything the arrow gets used for target practice but mostly just sits there. Then a new arrow and broadhead gets put in the quiver.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Rage Hypodermics and I am trying the Spitfire Doublecross this year. After I shoot a deer with any broadhead, I stick the arrow into the ground and unscrew it from the broadhead. Leaving the broadhead in the ground. Just my way of doing things. I don't bother trying to reuse or re-sharpen a broadhead. I don't take chances on the one thing that actually kills the deer.

15. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    That's a pretty cool tradition.

16. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just ask yourself is a once in a lifetime shot at the biggest buck of your life worth a 20.00 pack of replacement blades? I replace the blades if the head spins true. If not it goes in the tear stuff up for fun pile.

17. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly how I feel.

Broad heads aren't to skimp on. If you wound the biggest buck of your life, "what if I had purchased better broadheads, bought new blades, etc" shouldn't be something you have running thru your mind. If that were to happen, you'd gladly go back and pay $45+ a pack for some good broadheads or replacement blades. It's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bought one of your sharpening tools and a two sided stone. Starting to get the hang of it and it works well.