Does anyone hunt small tracts of land ???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BuckEyeJay, Oct 6, 2016.

1. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey does anyone hunt small pieces of land by chance? Is it worth hunting my buddy's Dad gave me permission to hunt his 6 acres behind my house when I don't feel like driving is it worth it ? It's never been hunted it's 6 acres of hardwoods with a pond one of the acres is grass like a lawn and a creek boarding the one side. He says he see a ton of deer there when he goes to the property. He orig bought it 10 years ago to build a house and never did anything with it. Is it worth hunting I'm going Saturday to check it out and hang 2 cams. But is it really worth it ?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up hunting 9...one of my best stand locations anywhere on any property is behind a barn at the base of a hill on 2.5 acres of woods.

The key to small tracts is having at minimum permission to track upon contacting neighbors. I've had to do it a couple times, and knowing I'll garner permission makes it justified to hunt them.

3. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If no one has hunted it, chances are surrounding areas are seeing pressure and deer use this as a sanctuary. I hunt lots of small pieces and have had some pretty good success.
    Good luck, hope its worth it.

4. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up with 30 acres behind my parents house. Only hunted about 1 acre of it, and it is still to this day my favorite spot and most productive in terms of seeing big bucks. I shot my biggest buck there, and make time to hunt it every year even though I moved two hours away and have access to over 400 acres within a 10 min drive.

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I lived in KC I hunted behind my neighbors uncles house on 8 acres. I shot a little buck and a doe back there surrounded by houses. Your chances are good

6. Inventive

Inventive Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My parents own 11 acres north of KCMO, kind of a rural house area, a few ag fields, but mostly 5-20 acre lots with houses in the area. Deer only use about five acres or so of my parents' land, but in 32 years of ownership my dad has taken 28 deer off of it. He's a meat hunter, so he doesn't usually take bucks.

I missed this guy at about 30 yards two years ago, and the neighbor got him a few days later... So yeah, it can be worth hunting small pieces of land.

download_20141130_182340.jpg

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Remember that 6 acres is part of the much larger surrounding area. As long as the land around it is also conducive to deer it should be fine. As long as it is not 6 acres sitting in the middle of 1,000 acres of farm field.

8. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would imagine you're still sick over that...

9. Ship of Fools

Ship of Fools Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    YES!!

I live in a suburban area and the deer love to hang right by houses. Generally they are very safe and have a built in food supply with the landscaping. I have a 6 acre spot behind a house and see tons of deer.

I also have a small section of woods that is probably three acres that is basically just a funnel between two larger parcels of woods and the deer travel it regularly.

10. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yes!

11. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the land my family owns is small, however it is in the middle of a large track of timber surrounded by ag
    so not exactly the same thing, but we have to plan how to get in and out, find trails in the other properties without going in those properties etc.

takes a bit of planning

12. Inventive

Inventive Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty upsetting at the time. He would have been my first buck, and my first bow kill... A great story to tell for sure.

Time having dulled the pain, it was a good learning experience. No rangefinder at the time, so I had walked off a few shot windows to the paths the deer were taking... And in a real shocker to me having only shot predictable does, outside of the rut... Does getting chased by horny bucks DON'T go where they're *supposed* to go. So the doe ran through, NOT where I expected, as did the buck, I barely got him stopped and then ended up putting my arrow in the dirt way, way too low.

13. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Small tracks of land can be great, becuase you can get the deer to do what you want.

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on what the 6 acres is connected to? 1 acre could be enough land depending on what is around it.

15. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I read your question. Seems to me that you've answered it yourself. There is land to hunt, it's in your backyard, there are deer there. What more do you need to know man. Get out there and put down some brown.

16. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my favorite stands is in my neighbors back yard, 5 acres surrounded by 350 untouched acres. This is where I go when I want to get a doe. I have hunted it the past 5 years and have killed more deer on that property than I have anywhere else including the lease I pay to hunt. This year for the first time I even have a couple bucks showing up on this property. Get out there and hunt that land.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The property that holds the biggest buck I am after is only 6 acres.(He is in the last picture) Every year a really good buck shows up there. A lot of small properties can be Honey Holes if they are surrounded by the other properties that get pressured. Or they have not been hunted in a longtime.Here are some pics of the bucks that have shown up there since we started running cameras at the end of 2012. First 2 pics are of the same buck, just 2 years apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  18. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The key to very small parcels is to get in very early and hunt the downwind edge of the property. Access your stand without walking through the property, in other words approach from the downwind side and hunt that edge.

19. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My favorite small parcel is 90 acres that I mostly hunt. This is a location around my great grandparents farm house. The property, backs up to the national park. I've seen more deer activity on this small parcel of land vs. the 600+ acres that we own north of this national forest. In all, there is over 2000+ acres surrounding this location. [​IMG]

20. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I currently hunt in a 5 acre piece of woods. However, in that 5 acres I can only hunt about half an acre of it. there's some fields around it then basically houses all around. In fact I have to park in an allotment. So far I can confirm 5 different bucks including a 13 point and a decent 8, a doe with twin fawns and a doe with a single fawn, 2 turkey Ive seen and 2 coyotes. So its surprising what a small area can hold.