Deer body size by region

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Oct 5, 2016.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only ever hunted Nebraska Iowa and Missouri
    I used to speak with a guy from North Carolina a lot through work stuff and we would talk about hunting and email pictures etc.

I sent him a picture of a doe I shot that dressed like 120 pounds and he was impressed with the size of it stating that most bucks he takes aren't that big.

What is a typical size/weight of an average deer in your area of the country.
    I'm not talking about that one half deer half horse that one guy shot that weighed some gawdawful amount, I'm taking your everyday normal average deer.

Most does I've taken bow or gun hunting that were "mature" are in that 120 range
    most bucks I've taken are 150-175 dressed, though I have several friends that have great property to hunt in my county and their average bucks is probably 175-200 dressed, they take large deer regularly

2. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ohio

I'm in ohio and I think we are about the same size my mature doe this year was 131 dressed. last year the biggest doe I killed was 139 dressed. id say average mature deer are 110-125. you have to look at it like this. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska states like that are large crop states so the deer will generally weight more than a state like s. Carolina we have large crop fields which they do as well but not like ours and obviously when you get out west there are fields for days another thing to look at here in ohio this year some of our corn was 7 or 8 foot tall down in s. Carolina there corn is maybe 4 foor 5 foot on a good year.

3. GeorgiaBowhunter1996

GeorgiaBowhunter1996 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in southern Georgia. The average doe is from 130-140 dressed and the bucks range from 170-190 dressed.

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find that hard to believe. Have you actually ever weighed one? I am in northern WI. I have weighed quite a few deer and ours are not that big.

5. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    north carolina, lucky to have a doe go 100lbs live weight my buck last year was im guessing somewhere from 130lbs live

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bergmann's rule..

7. GeorgiaBowhunter1996

GeorgiaBowhunter1996 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Every buck I've killed weighed between 175-202 not dressed. So I was taking a wild guess on dressed. We have a 1200 acre farm. One of our primary focuses is keeping deer on our land therefore we make sure they have multiple food and water sources.

8. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Ontario Canada and we don't have the deer numbers that most of the states have but are deer are huge in comparison
    largest doe I've shot is 153lbs dressed
    largest buck was 287lbs dressed
    this years Easthill derby is being lead by a 247lbs buck not even 5 days into the season so far
    not sure if its a numbers thing that contributes to the mass or if its purely genetics but each year there are bucks shot pushing 300lbs dressed

Dan

9. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always found this topic very interesting. I hunt two areas in central IL that are about 45-50 miles apart. The deer on the northern property are considerably larger-bodied than the deer on the southern property, with most 1.5 year olds on the northern property out-weighing most 3.5 year olds on the southern property.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in northern Virginia and most of the deer I hunt do not have routine access to anything other than what the big woods has to offer them.

For the sake of this thread, I will call a 2.5 year old buck and doe an "average" deer for around here. Most average does weigh in field dressed about 80 lbs. Most average bucks weigh in about 100 lbs.

11. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

because I was curious I tried looking up difference in weight pre and post dressed and found this
    Estimating Deer Weight From Field-dressed Weight
    weight.jpg

12. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buck I shot this year in Pennsylvania weighed 170 dressed. My other buck weighed 155 dressed. Most the mature doe I shot were around 125.

13. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot speak for Georgia bc I have never hunted there but if they have the food I can see any deer getting that big. we all have to take into consideration that the deer someone is talking about may be a year and a half old doe and a 4.5 year old buck so obviously there is going to be a big pound gap there. or ever 1.5 year old doe to a 5.5 year old doe. some people are happy shooting smaller does and some people simply do not get to see old does that may be able to reach there maximum potential. so those are all things to take into consideration and unless you weigh a deer after it is field dressed you don't exactly know just how much it does in fact weight.

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640[1].jpg

15. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in mid TN and we certainly have the volume, but not a lot of quality. I haven't shot a buck in over 20 years and typically go for 3 doe a season. 2011-2014 we spent a fortune just getting deer to step foot on our property. 2015 we had some doe, a 4 pt and a one sided 2 pt fork.

This year I see quite a few more doe and those same two buck that don't look like they've grown much. With the exception of our little piece of land you can't hardly throw a stick without hitting a doe. In my unit we have a 3 doe/day bag limit.

I thought the last doe I shot was a bit on the bigger side for me and she was around 4yrs old and weighed 95# before I gutted her. I wanna say she yielded 55# of meat.

16. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on when you kill them. An early season buck will weight a LOT more than a late season buck. When I was hunting in Southern Tier NY and PA, a mature buck was in the 160-180lb range dressed with a very few bigger than that. The Adirondacks though despite lack of food would produce some monster body size deer. I killed one up there in 2013 that went 205lbs dressed.

In IL it seems a bit higher. I believe my opening day IL buck in 2014 weighted 216lbs dressed, my second buck killed early November was just under 190lbs but he was a short stumpy deer.

While traveling for work a few years ago I saw a decent 120" or so ten point buck someone had killed in the back of a truck when I stopped for gas. That thing was the size of a large rabbit. Might have dressed out at 100lbs. I was shocked how much smaller they were.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  17. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where I am, you can have a 140 class deer weigh in at about 120-150 lbs, you go north in to ag country in TN and even in to South GA and they are way bigger. Just depends on where you are at.

18. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where I hunt in MN I would say the majority of mature bucks dress out in the 180-210 lb range. I have killed a couple that dressed over 210.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  19. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is in no way hard data, but based on what I've seen and remember. In my part of Kentucky the mature does we have put on the scale were in the 80-90 pound range. I did kill one in late muzzleloader a few years ago that went 120. She was huge. As far as bucks. I would say the average is in the 175 ish +\- range. My personal best was a 220 pound 8 that had the body of a small horse. The biggest I've ever seen on the scales was 230 pound public land deer some guy checked in at a quota hunt.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO weight is more a result age where region has more impact in rack size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk