Farm fields vs. woods

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by outdooraccess, Oct 1, 2016.

1. outdooraccess

outdooraccess Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to the site and have been stalking the great information that is here. So far I love it. I'm one of those guys who hunting is all I talk about so having this to read constantly is great. I was just wondering as a person who mostly hunts farm fields regularly, and loves the thought of hunting woods, what kind of land do you guys hunt and what is your preferred location and set up

2. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt some agriculture land and some woods, but most of everything I hunt is near low marsh or swamp land. My favorite place to hunt it edge of the swamp between the marsh and the agriculture.

3. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on the area you are hunting. I have had the best success setting up on the edges of woods and fields, where they come together. I prefer to hunt woods, but I wouldnt consider them "better". thats just my .02

4. Duece Ranch

Duece Ranch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Outdooraccess, I like the title of this thread and it is something I've debated for awhile, my land is mainly forest and some deep forest with 200' drops creek running through it, I built a blind down near a coke point and believe I'm set. The catch is I've debated weather to clear out a complete acre and have a real food plot a some point. Or I could clear a half acre up top? I'm really looking for what's the best thing to do.

5. Buck Jaeger

Buck Jaeger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt both! Depending on time of day and wind.

The woods in the am so I can can sneak in while the deer are in the fields I set up between the fields and the bedding areas.

Field edges (like 20' inside) in the evenings where the big boys hang out prior to entering the fields when it's all clear; usually on the way to the pond right at the wood line too.

6. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Both...woods or swampy brushy mess on way to agriculture is where I'm usually at.
    In early season Oak ridges and flats
    mid season buck trails off main trails downwind of bedding areas or downwind of main trails from doe bedding to food source
    Peak Rut I move in closer to bedding areas go in early and try to stay all day
    Late season Field edges over food

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt bottom land sometimes it's dry other times it's flooded. I love hearing deer running through flooded timber. It's light hearing a turkey gobble before seeing it

8. outdooraccess

outdooraccess Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about this. Any tips on what to look for in a wooded area that could help in the future?

9. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now or early season acorns are where it's at ! Late like after November rut or December fields Awsome if there's cut corn or beans yet. Stocking up on stuff that layers the fat and building energy back is the goal after running it off, good luck

10. outdooraccess

outdooraccess Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, you too. I actually failed to mention earlier I was able to put a stand in a small area of timber this year which was actually the whole reason for posting this.

Majority of the fields are beans this year and they've all turned yellow so the deer haven't been in them. Looking forward to them harvesting. I unfortunately spooked two doe this morning going into my stand. One of which was 30 yards behind my stand and the other in the bean field I was sliding the edge of (which I was surprised)

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends totally on food sources and time of the year. I move my stands frequently depending on activity.
    (I'm buying more all the time so that I don't have to move as often.)

But which do I like more?

I like the one where the deer are!

12. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Too many variables to really give a firm answer. Except when acorns are available, I prefer setting up near the edges where deer feed, which in my case is usually neighborhoods. Bottom line is there is no substitute to scouting. I am a firm believer in hunting all different stand sites until I find the deer. Right now in my area, they are feeding heavy on acorns. If you are not hunting near oaks, you are not seeing deer.