Scent control question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remist17, Sep 30, 2016.

1. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So Im new to archery hunting. Use to do a lot of rifle and the scent control was not all that important at 100yds. So I washed all my camo with backing soda this year and let them air dry outside. Then placed them in a plastic bag with some scent waffers (dirt smell) in the bag. Tide the bag shut. placed the bag in a rubber made box.
    prior to going into the woods, I give a quick spray with scent killer. When Im done hunting the clothes go back into the bag and tied closed. OK idea or bad idea? I do not have a special room to put the clothes in nor do I have the money to buy the technology./

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would buy a laundry soap that is scent-eliminating and wash them in that at least once per week. Or after any hunt that you sweat.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a lot more effort than I put into scent control, that should work fine. I'm a hunt the right wind advocate.

4. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would hunt the window, but Im limited to one stand in one area. So this is why im trying to limit the scent as much as possible.

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can buy regular scent free detergent from anywhere that sells it. You really need a detergent to get your cloth completely clean. Other than that you do what I do. except I get dressed in the field. you truck or whatever, will have scent in it as well. I also sprinkle some Baking soda in the bag too, but if you have scent waffers that may not be a good idea with the baking soda. I think if you try your method and you're either getting blowed at or not seeing deer try a difference approach. we are always learning from mistakes and that's how you become smarter.

6. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i use nonscent laundry detergant you can get at any hunting store
    as soon as they come out of the dryer they get tied into a trash bag
    I travel with them this way.

I open them outside and get dressed outside even though I have a hunting cabin.
    I'll have my under's on in the cabin walk out, spray myself put on a layer spray my self, put on a layer

when I get back to the cabin my clothes minus my unders stay outside

have I been scented? sure, but not very often
    old does are HARD to fool

7. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the dead down wind products. Wash clothes in it, use dryer sheets then clothes go into the scent crusher closet. I have the scent crusher go for the truck too. Clothes go from wash to dry to closet then to totes and dressed in the field. Then Coke off back to closet and washed if necessary.

I also use scent spray, wafers as well as dead Dow wind toothpaste and deodorant.

Do not overlook the personal hygiene parts of scent free. That is very important!!

As well as your gear (tree stand seats, backpacks, bags or other items)

8. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking to save money, here are a few things to consider:

As mentioned above you can use a scent free detergent, I always used the one from Arm & Hammer. You can also use unscented deodorant from harm and hammer too.

Scent Away and Dead Down Wind sell these kits with detergent, dryer sheets, spray, spray refills deodorant, soap etc all for like 20-25 bucks. Seemed like a great deal to me.

What about showering before you go out? w scent free soap? I'm assuming you're wearing rubber boots?

9. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all, Im going to spray my stuff again this weekend and let it dry outside.

10. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After I wear my hunting clothes, I rewash in scent killing detergent and then rehang outside, and of course spray down before going in the woods.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use arm & hammer too. Its like $3 and a lot cheaper then any of the hunting brands.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I did that after every hunt, my cloths would disintegrate. lol I hunt dark to dark every day the first week of Nov, so that wouldn't even be possible to do.

14. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer know the difference between old human scent like what is on clothing, and live human scent. They are not really afraid of the stinky clothing you wore yesterday, but they are totaly afraid of your live scent. Therefore it is more important that you take care of your person than it is your clothing. Showering with scent killing soap, dousing yourself in baking soda till you look like a guy sanding sheetrock, and brushing teeth and tongue with baking soda/peroxide paste is huge.

oldguy54 likes this.
  15. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can be super picky on your scent control techniques but that still won't help you if the wind isn't in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Washing your clothes after every hunt is overkill for sure. I wash mine, let them air dry outside, and leave them in a plastic tub until I get to the woods. I normally spray down with scent killer in the field. I also try and shower with scent free soap if I can but that doesn't always happen

17. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    about $50 to make your own ozonics

18. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been reading about ozonics as well over on Archery Talk. Guys buying kitchen units and hooking them up to a Rubber Maid tub with a hose. While I haven't done that yet, it might be on the future radar for packs, straps, boots, etc.

Like many who have repsonded, I also am concerned with scent control......both personal and gear. On days that I am hunting, I shower with scent-free shampoo and use scent-free bar soap. During season I wear no aftershave and wipe down with scent-free baby wipes for an afternoon hunt to freshen up....especially the underwear areas. My clothing is laundered in scent-free detergent and air dried, then kept in a tote or bag. When I get home from a hunt, the first thing I do (unless I have a critter to attend to) is get my clothing back outside to air out. Unless it is hot or I dragged a deer, I don't sweat all that much while hunting and freshen the outer layers frequently outside. The inner layers get laundered weekly unless I was sweaty.

As far as the contention that such efforts are worthless if the wind isn't perfect.....prove it! Our west MI winds often swirl and I have had numerous deer downwind without coming unglued or getting aggitated. Maybe if you hunt only big woods or wilderness areas where deer rarely encounter human odor, but in farm country they would be on "pins and needles" all the time since human odor is common. If I can make myself smell like a human that is 200 yards away and little danger when I at at 20....the odds are swung in my favor. Everyone follows their best judgement and mine has found this to be a workable-effective system for the past 20+ years.

19. 802veteran

802veteran Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This came up at work the other day. My boss and another crew member mind you they 60years old ( not that age matters) got a good laugh when I was explaining just the basics of scent free laundry and body soap and field spray. I got the " we used to wake up smelling of beer wearing the clothes we wore all of the season and shoot plenty of deer." Rifle hunters mind you. Both were set on the fact that all scent control is a gimmick. I agree with the wind direction comments from above. I think any scent control is a cheap insurance that isn't gonna hurt you. I don't have enough harvests to speak of the matter.

20. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    rifle hunters need not be worried with scent control. ask them how many deer they've killed at 30 yds.