How to hunt my buck hotspot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, Sep 29, 2016.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I need to pick your brains for some hunting wisdom. I am onto a group of bucks on one of the properties I hunt. The background is explained in this thread:

http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/what-do-when-semi-busted-group-bachelor-bucks-82648/

Tuesday I moved my stand and used a climber to get into a more concealed location among some thick stuff. This was closer to where they were coming out of the woods into the field. Unfortunately, I worked up a big sweat getting up in the tree. First buck came in behind me, from the downwind location and walked directly under my stand, I passed on him as I couldn’t tell his rack size and it wasn’t super obvious he was Mr. Big. A second buck came in almost directly underneath as well, didn’t like what he smelled(i think) and slowly took a different path around me. A third deer, a spike came in right underneath me and hung out for a while, I think he was trying to figure out what my scent was as I saw him licking his lips and what looked like licking some branches on the ground that I had cut to get in the tree.

So, I know this one patch of woods is a real hotspot for these bucks that at least as of last week were in their bachelor group. Do I keep hunting it or do I give it a rest so not to pressure the deer too much? I was in there last wednesday the 21st, then this Tuesday the 27th. I got busted on the 21st, but not on the 27th.

I of course want to give the spot rest so the bucks don't feel pressured, but I am also cognizant that this might be the time to make a move and try to bring one of these bucks down. Right now the property is receiving very little pressure, but as the season progresses, the # of hunters and pressure increases. So, this could be a great time to hunt them, especially since I know where they are and roughly when/where they're coming out during the end of daylight.

Thanks!

2. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I firmly believe in letting the woods die down for a bit to go back in and hunt. my success has skyrocketed in the last few years because I have been waiting for the perfect day to hunt my "honey hole". I hunt a few other stands/locations day after day but I have a spot where I only hunt it if the conditions are right, I see deer there almost every time I sit.

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you truly believe you were busted. I'd leave it along for a couple of weeks. It's really hard to say if it's ruined or not. I've spooked bucks one weekend and saw/shot them the very next weekend in the same spot. However, I've also spooked bucks and never saw them again. it's a 50/50 chance regardless. But you can't be certain unless you experience it.