scent control/masking with a hive smoker?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BuckBro, Sep 29, 2016.

1. BuckBro

BuckBro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious to hear about others' experiences. sorry, i know this doesn't help sell scent control products... but i really only use the sprays on my boots any more. last season, i had pretty good success just smoking myself down before hunts after getting busted repeatedly the prior year (when i was exclusively using sprays). pre-season, i hung all my gear in the ground blind, fired up the smoker, and let it marinate. then i would just do a quick maintenance smoke-down before heading out on each hunt.

I noticed that i would still get winded by deer from time to time, but in a much calmer way. no blowing, stomping, or bolting. most deer would resume what they were doing

I'm pretty sure i actually read about using hive smokers on this forum a couple years back, but didn't see any recent discussions in my search.

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started doing this last year, so my experience is minimal, I killed the biggest buck of my life downwind of me doing it. I know this does not prove anything, but it was enough to convince me to keep trying it. Smoke has very low ph so it kills and inhibits bacteria to grow. I am pretty convinced the only reason you don't see it mainstream is because you cannot market it. How can you convince people to buy your expensive smoker?

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a smoker last year and intended to use it however, never got around to doing it. I dug it out of storage a week ago and plan to use it on some new camo I purchased. I'm not sure I can do it every hunt unless I build a tote box to smoke them in.