Do you hunt in the light rain or drizzle? What about blood trails in this case?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, Sep 29, 2016.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've avoided bowhunting when it's drizzling(or light rain), primarily b/c I was worried about trouble with the blood trail if I did shoot something. Wondering if there are guys who do hunt in this type of situation. Thoughts?

2. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel deer movement increases in a light drizzle IMO. I shot my second biggest buck in a light rain. However you will want to only shoot deer where u kno u will kill them quick. There is a good chance the rain will wash away the blood. I learned from experience last year. I sat in the stand all day in a light rain. Saw a bunch of deer and finally had a shooter walk by at 2 pm. It was a 35 yard shot quartering away. Hit the buck back a bit so I elected to wait till dark. I had another shooter an hour later walk the exact same spot. I never did find my deer but moral of the story is light rain is great hunting. Just wear some waterproof clothes or get an umbrella.

3. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do, honest truth is I hunt in the marsh and flooded timber so blood trails are hard to come by to begin with. For one, sound is muffled in a light drizzle, scent is pushed down so that helps.. pick a good shot and hope for a quick kill.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    During the rut I will hunt in anything except a complete downpour. If it's raining enough to wash out a blood trail, a good comprehensive grid search should turn up any well shot deer.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do but am very hesitant. Especially since I am color blind too.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Light drizzle yes. Heavy rain, no. I will do my best to get out after a heavy rain though. I always see increased movement after that. One nice thing about tracking in rain or after a rain when everything is wet/damp still is it's often easier to see overturned leaves of the deer trail. Of course if you are tracking an open field or something that wouldn't help you.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will but my shot selection decreases in distance and angles I'll take...only way I can justify it. If I release an arrow in wet conditions I want to ensure barring a catastrophic issue with bow my arrow will land and a kill will be swift.

8. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    light rain I still feel I'm good
    it no doubt makes it harder, but it is still doable.

having well maintained trails also helps as it encourages deer to stay on trails
    not saying a dying deer is going to do exactly what we want it to, but anything that encourages them to stay on trail helps.

9. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've sat in a drizzle. Anymore than that I wont go out.

Opening day is Saturday and they're calling for rain. I most likely wont go out. I just don't like the idea of losing it due to a washed out trail.

10. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get enough time in the woods to be picky about going. It's rain or shine. I do however, keep all the factors in mind on shot selection.

I have shot a deer with steady to light rain. I was very nervous about the blood trail and started tracking only 25 minutes after the shot. I knew it was not a good shot. Long story, jumped the deer...luckily he only went 30 yards from the jump spot and was recovered from what I remember about 100 - 130 yards from initial shot.

If you are concerned, it helps to have a good tracker with you, unless...you are a good tracker. I personally enjoy tracking and helping others.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll hunt in a light drizzle to light rain. Generally I'm heading in when it's heavier than that. Mostly because I don't want to risk the thousands of dollars worth of video equipment I'm using, but I still am hesitant to shoot a deer in the rain.

12. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first deer I shot with a bow was in a light drizzle. Bad part was we lost the blood trail on a fire lane because of the rain and after looking for two days, I never did find it.

13. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted in both. The problem I found was getting out of the bottoms I hunt in my truck. I have to cross a creek in the road. When I left it was over my hood. Luckily I made it across and even more lucky my beer was still cold

14. KTang26

KTang26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think that hunting when it is raining can help deer movement. And do hunt when the rain is light, just make sure to dress appropriately, and make an ethical shot.

15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I might hunt in a light drizzle but never in a steady or heavy rain. That's just how I feel about it.

Blessings........Pastorjim

16. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do like hunting in the light rain. Seems deer don't lay around when wet, so the sightings seem better, and I like stalking and light rain helps quietness too, actually got pretty good. But downpours not so much, like downpours from my couch !

17. 802veteran

802veteran Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be but I'm sitting the blind because of the call for rain all weekend. A well aimed shot is more important than a blood trail imo. But rain is not something to be ignored.

18. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had rain wash away a blood trail and I know from experience that it is very difficult to track the deer. I recovered mine but it was a lot of work and a lot of anxiety. Deer are not affected by a light rain but heavy rain and especially wind will certainly curtail movement in my neck of the woods.

19. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love drizzle hunting, lots of movement. Great stalking weather too. Heavy rain I avoid but will get out immediately after a heavy rain. Even if blood is bad or washed away, you should still be able to track by hoof print and disturbed ground. I have found a lot of deer by this method when blood id bad.

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be hunting right now if it weren't for the gusty wind coming out of the ENE. I HATE wind while I'm hunting, especially from that direction!