Possible wounded deer.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CJCullen, Sep 28, 2016.

1. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So while hunting last night on some public ground I was sitting in a location that allowed me to see a good distance. Later in the evening I could see a very large bodied deer standing in a cedar patch about 300yards away. Even with binos I could never get a look at it's head. Anyway for the next 2 hours the deer stood up and bedded down no less then five times but never took a step. It would stand for 20 minutes then bed down for about 5 minutes then stand up again. This happened until I couldn't see anymore. Was this possibly a gut shot or wounded deer or just a cautious old deer checking wind and what not? I'm hunting the same property tonight and wondering if I should go look over there before hunting.

2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you get in the area early enough so it doesn't disturb your hunt it wouldn't hurt to take a look. Even if it is not there you could check where it was bedding for blood.

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't check it out prior to hunting, I would setup on this area he was in expecting that to be his bed and see if he's still there. If he doesn't show then I'd investigate in the dark.

4. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once saw a buck in gun season that appeared out of nowhere after some shots in the distance.....then abruptly disappeared from view as if he took an elevator. Eventually I saw another young fellow walking around in my general direction, so I got up to talk and walked him right to his buck. Another time while bowhunting on a buddy's farm, I saw a 6 point buck walking with his head down and then swerve into a thicket. At dark I met up with my buddy and he told me about shooting a 6 point but thought it was back a bit. We went and had supper to give it some time, then went back to that thicket and found his buck lying dead about 60 yards from the last point I saw him. Point being.....you won't know unless you walk over and check it out.

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Once I watched a buck do the same thing but in the AM. He laid down about 9:30 and would get up and lay back down this lasted until just before dark then he got up and went back into the woods he came from. This was the first time I sat all day in a stand. That's because it was wide open ground between us and he was higher then me. Point being. He might have just been bedding. I'd set up closer to where you saw him early in the morning and wait to see if you encounter him again. Perhaps you'll find his carcass. No big deal for you because you didn't shoot him. If he's dead call DNR.

6. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He was probably just trying to get comfortable

7. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info guys. I set up near the area two nights ago and ended shooting a doe and while recovering her I checked the area out, just a couple big beds. Kind of upset I hope I didn't blow a big deer out of the area.