Release types

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dcaldwell, Sep 26, 2016.

1. dcaldwell

dcaldwell Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been considering a new release for my bow for a while now. I have been using a very inexpensive caliper style release for a few years and think it may be time to upgrade. Have been considering a 4 finger release but I like the convenience of the wrist style release also. I am open to suggestions.

Not sure if it matters but shooting an older (2004ish model) Hoyt bow at roughly 65 lbs.

2. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really prefer a hand held release. I find myself to be more accurate with them.

Reasons that I prefer it for hunting are that I enjoy having my hands completely free. I don't have to worry about my release clanking off of my stand, bow holder, camera arm, etc.

I also like it because it's faster to hook up for the shot. You hang it on your bow and leave it there. You don't have to look down and try to hook up quickly to a small D-Loop in the heat of the moment. Just grab your bow, draw, and shoot.

I also like not having a strap around my wrist because it makes it easier to get your hands in and out of your pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^this

4. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^^ Times 3 with me!

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still a strap user for hunting.
    I also find that a hook style release is a lot more accurate than a caliper one too.

I keep on trying new releases but I always go back to the same one.
    Carter Quickie is my choice.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never liked hand held releases and after shooting for over 30 years I doubt I ever will. Right now I am using a Tru Fire Hardcore hook. I thought I lost my Scott Wolverine, which I loved, so I bought this because the Wolverine is no longer made. I like the TF a lot, but of course I found the Scott the other day in my turkey hunting gear (I forgot I put it there). Then my neighbor asked to borrow it because his broke so it might as well stayed lost LOL.

7. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a wrist strap caliper release, not the cheapest one, not the expensive one either, I like it for shooting, its very comfortable for me to use

I agree a lot with what englum said, I often find my wrist strap keeps part of my wrist exposed which means cold.
    In low light you do have to really look/pay attention to get hooked into your dloop
    if you put it on while on the ground it will and does clank on the ladder

I work on a limited budget for hunting supplies so I do want to get a hand held release but I pretty much am limited to 1 hunting item per season, and its not in the cards for me to get it this year. I have shot them at my local indoor range, and I like them, I think its easy to find my anchor point which helps with consistency and accuracy

all those bad things I said about the wrist release, they are actually still good releases and can be used with great success.

8. dcaldwell

dcaldwell Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think my biggest concern would be losing or forgetting the handheld release. Does anyone have any suggestions other than adding a wrist strap?

9. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    I keep it in my pocket the entire time I'm walking. It attaches to my bow once I hang my bow on my hoist rope and take my release off once I'm on the ground, just so it doesn't get snagged walking through brush or something. I do carry an old wrist strap in the bottom of my pack... just in case.

10. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    And you can find great deals on handheld releases in classified sections. I don't think I've ever spent more than $100 on one.

11. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in your same boat a few years back. I've had the same tru-ball caliper style release forever. I think it's good to try other styles...it can really help your shooting. I used to be a bad target panic trigger puncher. I decided to try a thumb release for a while. It really helped. I was accurate with it, and it is a comfortable way to shoot. I ended up trying another guys tru-fire Hardcore Maxx single hook wrist strap release and I fell in love with that thing. I shoot way better now that I ever have. The key to that release is the little swiveling head design really reduces torque on the bowstring. Plus the wrist strap is really comfortable. I have since sold my expensive Stan thumb releases and keep one cheaper Hot Shot thumb release just to change up my shooting style occasionally so I don't develop any bad habits like punching trigger.

No matter which one you end up with if you choose a wrist strap style get one with a buckle over velcro as you can use the same hole which gives you better repeatability vs making sure you get the velcro in the same spot every time.