Looking for my first bow!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NorhternMnman, Sep 23, 2016.

1. NorhternMnman

NorhternMnman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hi all! im new here and have a couple questions. Im 17 and am an avid hunter, trapper, and fisher. Im looking to get into bow hunting now and im wondering what a good, not very expensive bow would be for a first timer. Thanks in advance

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Bear archery - You can find a lot of used bows quite cheap.

What is your price range?

3. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Compound or traditional bow?

4. NorhternMnman

NorhternMnman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    a couple hundred bucks. probably about 500 tops. and a compound

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First Welcome. Look at Mission. Lots of draw length and draw weight adjustability. REAL lifetime warranty. In your price range. Mission is an off shoot of Mathews. ALL of Mission's profits go to charity. Something Matt (Mathews) McPherson doesn't brag up.

I sent the following to someone interested in starting bowhunting a few years back. I hope most of it helps you.

My Advise:

If you can find someone to let you shoot their bow some to get the hang of it, it would be a good thing. Think of it as never driving a car (or riding in one) and then trying to test drive them for handling, comfort, sound, etc. Once you have shot a few hundred arrows go shoot every bow within 60 miles of your house. Don't look at the brand. Almost all bows today are a huge step up than 10-15 years ago. Some, you will know the first shot, some before you shoot it if it's not for you. Narrow it down to a few bows and go shoot them again. O yea, if a dealer doesn’t let you shoot some bows or gives you a "bad feeling about it" go somewhere else. Don't shoot to much in one day. You will not judge the bow the same if you are shooting the 5th arrow or 65th arrow of the day. The bow WILL PICK YOU.

Things to consider:

IBO Rating (speed): Don't worry about the speed of the bow. All bows are fast enough today. My first bow was fast for its day (1976). It shot a blazing 180 fps and I killed lots of stuff with it. You will notice most bows with a high IBO (above 330 fps+) will have a harder draw and more of a hump than 290-330 IBO. They gain speed by having you pull the max draw weight for longer length and then the drop off is shorter.

Draw length: Find your comfortable DL. Start by wing span divided by 2.5. This is a starting point. Remember the DL the bow says may not be actual. Lots of reasons for this but its a conversation for another time. Some bows have easy to change DL (Mission you mentioned is one). Then you can fine tune your DL as your skill/comfort increases. Some require cam changes to change DL which you could have your dealer do. Your draw length will change as you get more experience and develop your form. And due to the different geometrys of the bows (shape/size) your draw length could be different with different brands.

Draw weight: You don't have to be a gorilla. Today's 60# bow has more power than a 70# did 15 years ago and more than an 80# did 20 years ago. You can kill any animal in North America with 60#.

Bow length: Referred to as axle to axle (ATA). If you hunt a lot from a blind, 28"-32" ATA is good. Otherwise 28"-40" is good. Most hunting bows now are 28"-34".

Cost: Figure your budget them be prepare to add $100-200 because the bow you really want will be more than your budget. Get quality accessories including arrows. Figure close to the cost of the bow again for rest, sight, quiver, stabilizer, arrows, broadheads and release.

Warranty: Once you get it narrowed down to 2-3 bows think of warranty. Some companies have lifetime warranty to the original owner. Some companies have transferable warranty. Some companies have real lifetime warranty. Mathews has parts still available for every bow they ever made since 1990. Mission does too. Some company's lifetime warranty is until they discontinue that model and run out of parts. I know a guy that could not get a cam from the company for a 4 year old bow.

Dealer: Since you are new you will need a good shop to help you. Check out each dealer. Is the place a pig pen (dirty)? Are they willing to help? Do they try to force you to a brand/model? Are you comfortable with them? Tell them you are just beginning. You are looking for guidance and are not there to buy that day and see how they react. My current dealer is 45 miles from my house. I drive past a dealer only 5 miles from me.

FWIW: A few years ago, I was looking to get a new bow. My last bow was 8 years old, I went to every dealer within 70 miles of me. I shot 17 different bows from 8 companies. Some I knew after one shot or before I shot them that they we not for me. But I shot several arrows from them anyway.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To Whitetail, you listen... Good advise, he has...

7. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice from WT...

8. Duece Ranch

Duece Ranch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my obsession bow, check out their web site, Home

9. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great reply Whitetail!

I did not know that about the Mission line and where the profits go. I'm glad we bought one and still have it.

10. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also suggest Misson first. It's a sub company of Mathews and are great bows for around $500. After that I would say look at Quest (G5). My biggest advice would be to make sure you go to a archery shop and buy the bow new. Do not buy a used bow off a buddy or craigslist unless you take it to a pro-shop after to have it setup for you. Anyone can pick up a gun or even a crossbow and in a few shots be shooting great. But a compound bow has to be setup for you. Your arms may be longer than the person who owned the bow 1st. So your draw length would be different. Peep sight, draw weight even down to the spine and weight of the arrows you should be shooting are all things a pro-shop will do for you. Good luck and welcome to real hunting I bet you rarely go back to gun hunting after you get your 1st deer with a bow...

11. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With you being new at it, and considering your budget, you'd be best off buying a used, high end bow, from a shop preferably, but even ebay, or a forum like here or AT is fine. Then bring it to a shop for a string/cable, and tune up. To buy a brand new lower end bow would be a mistake IMO. Used bows are just fine, and I have gotten some unbelievable deals on complete setups by shopping around online. Why pay up to $1500 for a bow that will be worth half that the very second you walk out the shop's door with it?

12. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a pse stinger x brand new for 400$ ready to hunt with arrow rest, quiver, stabilizer, sights, and wrist strap...also the bow shop set her peep and d loop for her. I chose the pse stinger because it can be cranke Down to 30# or all the way up to 60# and the draw can go from 21"-30". I have seen a ready to hunt pse stinger package on eBay for 279$ but then you have to take it to your bow shop and get it set up for you. Good luck

13. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second going and buying a used bow from a few years back that was the top of the line bow at the time. For a first time bow get something that is smooth drawing and easy to hold for hunting. I am thinking Elite Hunter or Energy, Mathews Chill or Creed, Bowtech Experience
    If you want brand new I like the looks and specs of the Mission Ballistic 2.0

14. NorhternMnman

NorhternMnman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

15. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a lot of bows in the past 20 years. Not one of them was bought new from a dealer. Here is what that will do for you. 1) it will teach you how to set up your own gear. Having a pro-staffer set up your bow is fine, but what happens when something changes or you decide you want to change the color of your peep sight to match your limb decals. If you set up your gear yourself you don't have to worry about how far away that pro shop is or how much work he has to get done prior to bow season opening. There isn't anything that you can't learn on youtube. 2) You can find amazing deals if your willing to wait it out during the off season. I'm currently shooting a Hoyt Vector 32. I read everything I could read about the bows I was interested in prior to making my decision. I chose this bow without ever shooting one. I paid $325 bucks shipped to my door last summer off of Ebay. Not many differences in my bow compared to Hoyt's flagship bows in the last two years except for the $600.00 I kept in my pocket. 3) If you're done growing your draw length isn't going to change much and if it does your probably going to be able to make the minor changes needed without worrying if your bow will adjust from 27 inches to 32. 4) If you like the bow you buy (aesthetically) and it fits you, the draw cycle and feel of the bow isn't something your going to notice as a novice bowhunter. Why you ask? because your a novice, you haven't pulled a ton of bows or know what feels best to you yet. If your looking to get into the game, find something you like and buy one dirt cheap. Shoot it for 2 or 3 years and then go fine tune your needs and desires.

The bottom line is, there is not a bow that you can buy that won't get the job done. Read some articles, talk to people, shoot if you can, but make sure you pick out something that is going to make you smile when you open your case. Then learn to shoot it well. I mean really well.

Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  16. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best advice is to just shoot them all, everyone is different.