kuiu or kryptek?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tc racing, Sep 17, 2016.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    deciding what to get. kuiu or kryptek? looked into Sitka but looked like there insulated stuff isn't waterproof. I have heard good things about kuiu and kryptek. any thoughts? I do a lot of all day sits so warmth is a must. I live in nw pa and we get some nasty weather off lake erie. waterproof is most important. I wore rivers west for years and was very happy with the waterproof aspect. I just sweated like crazy because it didn't breath at all. I'm looking to get into a higher quality gear.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kuiu is not all water proof either. Some are water repellent but not all. I am not sure about Kryptek I never looked at it. Anytime I tried to buy Kuiu it was always backordered and out of stock. I gave up trying, hopefully it's better now.

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Need rain gear for complete waterproof. KUIU has great gear. I don't have any rain gear from KUIU. I know a couple that have kryptek gear and like. Again not rain gear though.

Look into core4element for a cheaper good quality rain suit. For what you are talking you probably aren't using it a lot. Save the expensive costs on gear that you wear more often. I have a set of core4element and they have vents to breath. I've worn in rain storms out west. Worked well. KUIU, kryptek, and Sitka would all be better gear IMO, but at a higher cost.

Most of the gear of those brands including Sitka will be water resistant as said earlier.

Go to camofire and email Kendall to see if he has any core4element rain gear in your sizes. This how I got my rain gear. You could ask about Sitka rain gear too. They have some Sitka gear sold there but it usually goes fast.

If money doesn't matter. Go with KUIU or Sitka. Look at sizing differences also. Some brands fit different people better too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
  5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I buddy has a bunch of Kuiu's gear and the rain gear he feels it's their best product. He had it on a 18 day hunt on Kodiak Island last fall and says it worked flawlessly. All that got wet on him were his feet due to boot choice.

6. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If warmth is what you're after... many, many folks tout First Lite's base layers as among the best in the industry. Their line features both merino wool and aerowool, which places a premium on moisture evacuation.

They also, along with KUIU and others, make nice raingear... but I've been studying and reading a lot lately on some of these companies and it appears First Lite has the best layering system.

7. Tony.Loney

Tony.Loney Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at first light stuff merino wool like Greg has said it is supposed to de very warm.

8. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    got it! as in i'll check it out! thanks

9. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will say Sitka incinerator set is waterproof and super warm. Another option is the Cabelas mt050 in the new o2 octane camo.

10. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use both kuiu and first lite. First lite has the best rain gear on the market in my opinion. I like the warm of the winter gear from kuiu, and their packs are awesome. But again for rain gear without a doubt First lite.