Noob Mistake - looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by eric.landry.7583, Sep 8, 2016.

1. eric.landry.7583

eric.landry.7583 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So in my zealous excitement for the upcoming season I purchased (used on Craigslist) a Champion Spitfire single cam compound bow. I have now discovered the company has gone under. It's not a deal breaker for me, but my concerns are the overall quality of the bow and its effectiveness in the field. I took the bow to the LL Bean pro shop and they gave it a once over and said it would "do fine" for my first season back since high school, I'm 39 now. It's got a 29 inch draw and I find the 60lb setting to be perfect for me - but in choosing a bow that's now de-funk did I set myself up for trouble down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you got it checked out by a bowshop and they say it good to go the rest is up to you to make it an effective killing machine. Not sure what year your bow was made but in it's day I am sure the exact model you have was used by other hunters to take deer. Don't get caught up by the latest and greatest craze. Practice till you are accurate then get after it. Good luck this fall.

3. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    totally agree. I used a Bear Whitetail II up until 2011. Killed plenty of deer with it.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only issue I could see is if that draw length is not correct for you it will be hard to get it set properly due to parts availability. A lot of people think their draw length is longer than it is. I shot 29" for years but learned 28-28.5" is what I need depending on the bow.

5. eric.landry.7583

Dislikes Received:
    What's the best way to sure up the accurate draw length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about the company name on the bow. As long as it fits, you will be fine to use it. String sets can easily be made for it when the time comes and that's usually the only thing that will wear out. Baring something uncommon like limb or bearing trouble.

Up until last week, I used a Jennings bow. That company was bought out by Bear eons ago and the name itself discontinued abot 10 years ago.

If you need parts to change the draw length, sometimes they can still be found on ebay. There are also other ways to tweak the draw length a little bit by adding/removing twists in the cable/string. I would be sure to have a pro shop help if that is your only option.

8. zjl299

zjl299 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    glad to hear you got back into the sport. depending on how you liked your first season back you may want to check into a couple upgrades. an older bow will need new string. check into adding a vibration/sound dampener will help as well. the guys on this site can help out on products they use. these are all relatively inexpensive compared to a new/upgraded bow.

9. eric.landry.7583

Dislikes Received:
    Gentleman- I'd like to thank you for saving me a bunch of $$, sometimes with all the latest greatest hype - you can get caught up with questioning your equipment and not focusing on what's important - your technique, skill, accuracy at the necessary distances etc. So I paid for a proper tune up, new strings, silencers and a few new targets at differing distances and heights. Again - thank you for the sincere helpful feedback!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this fall Eric, make sure you post up pictures of the deer.