Climber VS Hang On

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sburns08, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought the new Lonewolf Climber Combo II, I use climbers very regularly. It is way more convenient for me. Whats your take Climber vs Hang on stand and why? Different brands yall use and like

2. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hurt private land 99.999% of the time and I prefer the hang on I can scout in advance hang my stand come in undetected and hunt. If I hunted public I would likely use a climber.

3. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can use a hang on in any tree. Can't say the same about a climber.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Up until recently I used both a Lone Wolf handclimber and Lone Wolf Assault and sticks. That way regardless of the trees in the area I wanted to hunt I was covered. After a bicep surgery I knew I wouldn't be hanging stands anytime soon so I sold the Assault and sticks. Once you develop a system using a mobile hang-on and sticks isn't very much slower than a climber. My problem is lack of arm strength having had both my biceps tendons torn in the last 3 years and surgery on each.

5. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Summit Open Shot exclusively. Although I have to have "perfect" trees, I prefer it to ladders or lock-ons because it is less gear to move to change set-ups. It is a little less quiet than climbing a stick ladder admittedly, but I've found deer to be far less skittish when its pitch black in the woods.

(Note: although this is my first season devoted almost solely to bowhunting, I've always gunhunted like a bowhunter in terms of trying to get really, really close to game, even when slip hunting on foot. Nothing more exciting than seeing a deer or pig stumble out of bed and be within 40 yards of your barrel and at eye level.)

I need the speed of moving a climber where I hunt, too. Deer patterns can change a lot during our long 4.5 month season. I typically hunt three to five different areas in the fall and I don't have enough disposable income to justify five different stand setups.

Admittedly, there are bowhunters who can move a set as fast or almost as fast as I can move my climber. I am NOT that guy, however. LOL. ;)

6. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use both. It all depends on my situation on what stand.

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like mention before. A climber is only good if your trees are tall and straight. I can't walk around for hours looking for a tree like that and never climb. On the other hand. a hang on with sticks can suck with all the moving parts you have to mess with. Personally, I feel safer in a hang on compared to a Climber. I've had too many close calls to count in a Climber. I use a Muddy hang on. not sure the name, but I've sat in it all day and was just fine.

8. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All depends on the situation. Last year I mostly hunted out of a blind, just because the way deer were moving it, and where the bucks were, I had to. This year I have 2 hang ons, and I got my climber close to some power lines that bucks tend to move down. I also have 2 ladder stands back in a swamp, and 2 blinds on each one of my food plots. I just don't like to limit myself to one or the other, as I feel they all have a roll to play.

9. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My climber is great, so much more comfortable and better able to place my gear, but I am still a little noisy getting it up a tree compared to my pre hung lock on. Its also nice being able to capitalize on deer that are close but still out of range say 45 yards away through woods, I can move closer to their travel route the next sit vs having to come in and re set up a lock on

10. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have stated it depends on the situation. I have a Lone Wolf Hand Climber and a Lone Wolf Assault and Sticks and they both get used very regularly. Like Coop had mentioned, once you develop a system and practice you can get all set up with a hang on and sticks just as quick as a climber.

11. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO it all depends on the kind of trees you have.If most of the trees around you area are straight and narrow then a climber is best.However here in Kansas most trees are twisted and crooked so trying to find a tree that you can use a climber in can be challenging so I would prefer a hang on here.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "twisted and crooked" just like IL's politicians.

13. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Love my climber a lot, fell asleep in it more than a few times....BUT, I do like my hang-on for the little private spot I have since it's so easy to slip in with just my bow, and backpack, so quietly.

14. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll take a climber over a hang-on any day. It's just personal preference, of course. I don't feel secure in a hang-on. I tried hunting with one off and on for two seasons - a Lone Wolf Alpha II with six sticks. I didn't care for it at all.

I have three Summit Vipers and one Summit Viper Elite that I absolutely love. Yeah, you have to find the "right" tree, but they are rock-solid and I love the security of the rail. The ONLY way you can fall is if the stand suffers a catastrophic failure OR the tree itself decides to fall. I don't see either happening.

15. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Totally depends on your age and physical condition too. I tried to hang a stand alone today....Let's just say my battered old body did not cooperate! I almost killed myself twice before I wisely gave up.
    Granted I am out of practice with hang ons, but there is no way I could climb a tree with sticks and then hang a stand in the morning, in the dark, and not make a ton of noise and be a ball of sweat. NO WAY! I can still use a climber pretty easy though.

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hang on stands are more flexible. You don't have to have a perfect straight tree to hang it on.