Broad heads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by John York, Sep 3, 2016.

1. John York

John York Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning I am new to the group. I have a question regarding Broad heads on the market. I recently decided to spend for money this season and get me some rage broad heads. What is everyone's feelings regarding rage broad heads?

2. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used them 2 seasons ago, never had a problem. Swithed this year to Montec CS 100 grain heads this year, nothing bad with mechanicals happened, just trying new things!! Best of luck finding what you love!

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never use a Rage again for me. I know lots of people swear by them. I am not one of them. I shot 2 deer with Rages. The first was the big entry hole you see all the pictures of and lots of blood (notice their adds never mention exit hole). The second hit a rib going in. Rage looked like a wrinkled beer can with broken blades and bend feral. I never would of found the deer if not for snow. Solid, sharp, fixed, made in USA (Rage-China) only for me. Exodus on my arrows now. But had no issues with NAP Hellrazors or even Thunderheads. Many other good fixed, made in USA, BH out there.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Rage heads on turkey and they work great for them. I don't care for them for bug game.
    Lots of people do but not me. Seen several failures and am a little bit gun shy.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used Rage heads for the last 5 or so years. I have also experimented with them shooting them with open blades, closed blades and any other combination possible as far as open or closed and they fly the same, I have also never had one fail to open or deploy. I think one of the most important aspects to consider when using any mechanical is finished arrow weight. I would recommend 450 grains or higher I run right around 475 grains for arrow weight. I also think KE is important to consider as well. There is no such thing as over kill when using a mechanical the harder the better, best out of a bow with a 70 + pound draw weight.

Some will say that a mechanical can not take bone and that is not what I have experienced personally. I also want to say using a mechanical is not an excuse to take a borderline shot. I had a buck come in a couple years back, mature and big bodied stood broadside and I lined him up and hit him a little far forward. Instead of that whack sound you get when the arrow hits it sounded like he got hit by a hammer, he went down and rolled an watched the arrow snap off, he got up and ran and paused and then walked off. I was sick and not optimistic as I started to track I thought it was a marginal hit. Found him 60 yards later the 125 grain hypodermic had gone thru both shoulder blades the head was between the skin and the bone on the off side, both blades bent but intact. A 475 grain arrow with a 74 pound draw weight and a 28 1/2" draw length.

6. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to beat Slick Trick standard size. They fly like darts for me.

7. Moosedog

Moosedog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I was with a buddy when he used a Rage Hypodermic on a mature bull elk. It was pretty impressive, full pass through, one rib, maybe 30 yards down hill. Even after that I decided not to try them and went with some Slick Trick magnum heads. I shot a 3 year old mule deer a couple days ago. It was also impressive, full pass through it was quartering away it just sliced the hide on his back leg and came out the opposite front shoulder. 61# bow at 40 yards. The holes were very impressive, the arrows fly perfect, I just have a hard time with the mechanical thing.

8. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Come on now everyone knows field points are where it's at :tu:

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care for the thin rubber bands that keep them closed so I use two blade Wasp Jak-Knifes now. They have a nice rubber band that never breaks.

Kilboars Hunt Club

10. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not keen on them. Tried them last year and it was a disaster with two wounded deer. They did not penetrate on thick winter coats like they should have and did not open fully when I caught a shoulder blade. Back to the Muzzy 3 blade 100gr for me. They didn't seem very sharp either at least compared to the Muzzy.

Now that I said all that, I guess it depends on your set up too. I may be a little light for them. I shoot 65lb, 27" draw with Beman ICS 400. I prob shoot 270 ft per sec. From what I understand guys who shoot faster speed, heavier arrows like them and they perform well.

11. ChrisKill22

ChrisKill22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    #1 on the market

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy Trocar is what I am switching to this year, rage has never let me down but I like the extra blade with the mechanical that muzzy offers.

13. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Find what works for you & is in your price range & go with it. I personally use the NAP KILLZONES. They have treated me well & I can always find them CHEAP in the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using Rage broadheads every since they hit the market. I have shot them all and the Hypodermic is my favorite.