Bowhunters with back pain....little advice to help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Aug 27, 2016.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About the last 10 years my sports injuries and just getting older in general have created a lot of back pain, especially when I sit on stand for a long time. It just takes away the fun of being in the woods.

Here are three stretches to help you out. The first one has given me a great bit of relief. I do it before work and after every workout. My left hip has been horrible for years and it has started effecting my left knee. Within about 2 weeks of using this stretch Ive noticed my back pain while seated in my car at work has really improved. The second stretch has helped my hips out and I do it twice a day for 30 seconds. The final one stretches the upper hamstring. Consistently do these three stretches and you will notice a big difference in that lingering back pain. Should make your hunts more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing those, my lower back has been tight lately. And these look quite doable while traveling.

Three others to add I've probably mentioned before:
    1)If you sit for any part of your day with your wallet in your rear pocket try taking it out. First thing I do when I get to the office is take mine out and lock it in the desk or put it in my bag.
    2) Lying on your back in a bed, mat or floor, pull your knees up to/toward your chest and pull your knees in to your chest and just hold it. Drawing the knees closer to the shoulders will help.
    3) if you're carrying extra weight, dropping some lbs helps tremendously. My upper back pack is pretty much gone after losing weight... (Fractures in T6 & C7 from my misspent and wreckless youth).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a tens machine

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never thought that I would find myself spending time in Yoga and Tai Chi classes but after a lot of years of doing things that a human body shouldn't do with my body.......... they let me get up and go to work and play in the morning!

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks VS. with my new job they require us to go through a regiment of stretches twice a shift and I was and am amazed how much that has helped. Along with dropping about 20lbs so far.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try these for sure VS. My lower back on my left side has bothered me for about 2 1/2 months. I believe it is my wife's new couch. My legs are too short for it. I hate to tell her that. Either way we're going to give this a shot.

Thank You!

7. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some great exercises, thanks for sharing. I have been somewhat crippled by old rugby injuries and do these on the regular. They definitely help!

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had two back surgeries, I am always looking for anything I can do to help with the pain. Thanks for those.

Being an engineer I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk. As wl701 said one of the first thing I learned was wallets in back pockets are bad for your back. I carry a money clip/card holder in my front pocket and never use a wallet anymore. I also try to walk 2 miles a day. I find walking helps me as much as doing individual stretches. Also having a gut doesn't help but with limited mobility for cardio I find it hard to lose it.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive come down from 234lbs to about 226lbs here in the past three months. All fat. Im definitely not fat at 226 lbs, but I could stand to lose about 10 more lbs. Im gonna keep at it.

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I dropped from 226 to 181, basically cutting out breads, rice, grains, pasta and potatoes and other processed junk and trying to exercise for about an hour a day.

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was only 175 on a heavy day but have kept consistently between 160 and 165 for the past year and it's amazing the difference just 5 to 10 pounds makes. The stretching exercises also seem pretty foolish at first but they really do make a difference in the mobility and even in my sleeping at night.

(and that doesn't even begin to describe how much easier it is to get into some of those "how did I get myself into this position" situations!)

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I basically did the same. followed paleo diet and lost 45 lbs. I used to power lift so walking around at 230lbs was ok. Haven't worked out in 2 yrs and jumped to 240. knees back ankles. it was horrible. down to 195 now and feels great!

13. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing this. I suffer from back pain too, been a Welder for the past 8 years and before that was in construction. Back pain is no fun and I'm looking into stretches and exercises to help me out!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016