Thermal Imaging for hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by LittleChief, Aug 25, 2016.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone on here ever used a thermal imager in a hunting application or known anyone who has?

Since I am colorblind I've always been interested in the feasibility of using a thermal imager to find a downed deer. If it worked I wouldn't have to depend so much on others.

The prices are steadily coming down and now there are some quality options available in a price I'd be willing to spend to become more independent. I'm looking at one that costs (ahem) quite a bit that would spot a heat source like a deer out to around 350 yards.

I realize it wouldn't be helpful on a next day recovery, but on a good, solid hit on a deer that doesn't fall within sight it seems like a good idea.

Also, I have to admit that when I get to my stand an hour before first light, it would be so cool to fire it up and watch what walks by.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea?

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting idea. I don't know that many states have addressed anything about using them for hunting. I don't know how well one would work for me being in a very hot climate but back east they may be worth while on colder days. The only down fall I could think of would be line of site for using them. If you can't see through the woods and forest, it might not be much help. The imager won't pick up a heat source through objects like leaves, tree trunks and dense brush I don't think.

But hey, if you've got the money to spend go for it. I'll just have to rely on a blood trail.

3. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds plausible. It is quite expensive though. I've always wanted night vision to see what makes those noises in the dark while I'm waiting for the sun to come up. I think it's a good idea though. It would definitely work. You'd be looking for the deer itself. The blood trail would likely cool too quickly to find blood spots.

4. bigEhaw

bigEhaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would check the regulations of your state first. I know it is illegal to use while carrying a bow/gun in some states. If you have the money though and really need it because of color blindness, why not?

Link I found with each state's rules on this: High Tech Red Neck sells new and pre-owned night vision scopes, Predator hunting DVDs and calls both electronic and mouth blown. We also offer our own predator hunting DVDs shot in 100% night vision. We not only sell our night vision devices, we use

5. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have pvs-14's and I can assure you it is awesome sitting in the stand while still dark and watching the deer or whatever move around.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really do not care about state laws when it comes to deer recovery. In the state where I live tracking dogs are against the law, if it meant the difference in receiving a deer I would pay a dog tracker, or use an IR tracker.

DeadeyeDick, axtell343 and Afflicted like this.
  7. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We use thermal imagers at my work and I know for a fact I can see live deer from a very long way off. Finding the actual deer body itself with the thermal would work great for quite a few hours. Actually following the trail with the thermal..IDK. Without having the body mass to keep the blood warm I would think it would become ambient temperature within a few minutes depending on how cold it is. If you know the direction the deer runs off though it shouldnt be to hard to find the deer itself with the thermal.

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with laws and using IR or night vision is some people would use it within the scope of the laws and other wouldn't. it would be hard to catch people in the act so they most likely just ban them altogether.

As Sota mentioned I don't think most Fish and Game representatives would mind using dogs to recover a deer but they don't want people using dogs to flush deer out so they have to outlaw them altogether.

9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I would use it for. I always know which direction a deer runs. It's just that when I get to the ground I can't see a blood trail. A thermal imager should be extremely effective just walking in the general direction the deer ran while scanning around with it.

10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the link. It prompted me to search the regs for the states I hunt. Two of them don't allow carrying a thermal imager WHILE carrying a weapon. It could still be used for recovery.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen that you can get attachments for an iPhone now but don't know if they're any good.
    You be looking like the predator out there.

12. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you have the $$ it would be a good buy for you then. If its cold out that dead deer is gonna put out a very good heat signature for quite a long time.

13. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How in the world did you get your hands on a set of PVS-14's....Where I come from those are what we call a sensitive item lol

14. ABN Panzer

ABN Panzer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Issue I have with this link is it is for Night Vision which is different than Thermal Imaging. Only 4 of the state regulations spell out the use of thermals on that link. Tennesse - the OPs listed location, does not specify that Thermals are prohibited in any manner. Can you use thermals at night? Sure... can use them during the day too. This link is not specific enough to offer a reliable advice though.

***Edit*** Wow, this sounded really snotty. Was not my intent. It is a useful link but I don't think it accurately helps the OP in his question as it leaves too much open. The paragraph for TN doesn't specify Thermal as being a Night Vision device. One could draw assumptions but that is not very helpful either.
    Sorry again for the possible rudeness of the 1st part.

15. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It really didn't sound snotty to me. As I said above, the post you quoted prompted me to look up the regs for the states I hunt. Here's what Tennessee says:

So, I couldn't carry it with me while hunting but I could have it in my vehicle and go grab it if the need arises. Missouri is the same way.

I'm not sure about Arkansas. I think that state is still trying to figure out what a website really is. :sad:

17. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got one last year and it worked great for recovery. I could see it at over 100 yards plain as day well worth the trade I made for it

18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really glad to hear that considering I placed the order today. My wife has heard me me mention this before. Today at lunch I mentioned it again and she said that if it would help me that I should order it.

I'm a lucky man. :tu:

19. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a FLIR at work and I borrowed one day for the house. I waited for the sun to go down and was looking at my house for air leaks (HVAC) for energy savings.
    It was pretty cool seeing the studs trough the walls.

I have no idea how it would work in the woods though :(

Not my pics, but you get the idea...
    [​IMG]

But this would be cool...
    [​IMG]

20. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    I have ribbed my friend for years to bring one home from the fire department!