How hot is too hot for your bow? (The age old storing in car during work question)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vath, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Vath

Vath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys, I am in need of some clarification. Or maybe just looking to get some confirmation on what I already worry about. I tried a few searches but didn't find much for results. Maybe I just worded my searches wrong though, so if you know of a thread where this has been answered please point me in the right direction.

I live about 25 minutes away from work and there is an outdoor archery facility right down the road from my job. I spent the 40 bucks to get an annual pass, and I really want to be able to use it right after work to get some practice in before the hunting season starts. The past month or two I haven't purely because of the 95+ degree weather we have been having in Iowa. Well, now we are looking at 70s and 80s for the next couple weeks and I have been asking myself whether or not I should toss the bow in the trunk.

Obviously I don't want to risk hurting my bow by leaving it out in the heat, but at what point are the temps low enough that I can safely leave it in the trunk?

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no expert....my bow is in car right now and I live in Iowa. I don't keep it in there when it is really hot though. Fall is close enough I want it with me if I get time to sling some arrows. I would think your fine now.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it would also make a difference where in a vehicle it's sitting.

Front seat in direct sunlight is different than back seat under a blanket is different than in a case is different than in the trunk etc.

If you can keep direct sunlight of of it and crack windows to let some air, that should make a big difference.

The best place to ask this question is the customer service of your bow manufacturer.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I won't leave it in my truck for more than about 30 minutes if it's hot. Heat can change the structure or different materials and I'm not gonna risk it. Especially where I live. It can easily hit triple digits here and get to 130+ degrees in a vehicle. I would tell my boss it's gonna be in a case by my desk or in my case, in the locker room.

6. Vath

Vath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That puts me at ease a little bit. I just went home for lunch because I forgot to grab it this morning and tossed the bow in the trunk while I was there. I guess I'll see how hot it gets in the next 4 hours!

Hey thanks! This thing is pretty cool. I could probably set this up to sit in my trunk pretty easy.

I plan on keeping it in the trunk, and the windows cracked for what its worth. But you are right, no one will know like the manufacturer knows. Thanks for the info! I might have to give Matthews a call today or tomorrow.

That heat sounds like a sunny summer day in Iowa! Luckily the weather for the next week or two is mid 70's to low 80's so I shouldn't have to worry about it hitting triple digits. I know if it's 90+, I definitely leave the bow at home. And I thought about asking my boss to let me just sit it next to my desk since I am at it probably 75% of my day anyway, but a quick review of the rules showed me that wasn't an option. I work at a place that has a no weapons policy, even inside personal vehicles. So trunk is where it has to stay unless I want to lose my job.

7. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fiberglass limbs are a lot more susceptible to temperature fluctuations than laminate ones. The fiberglass will crack or splinter, especially if you try shooting it while the bow is still very hot.

8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You might check with the archery center. They may be able to keep it there for you.

9. KYBowHunter8

KYBowHunter8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've kinda wondered the same and have always been worried about leaving mine in the truck. Heat index usually hits about 110 in the summer so I try to avoid it in the summer months. The strings on my dad's bow blew up a couple years ago. He left it in a black hard case in the garage through the summer, I imagine it got pretty toasty in there. New strings and it's as good as new though, so I don't really know...

10. Vath

Vath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is good to know. Yesterday hit about 85 and when I took the bow out of the case, it wasn't warm to the touch or anything so I think it was okay! Gave it a thorough check anyway but it all looked good.

The center is in a public park and outside. No place to store anything. Basically anyone can go shoot there, but if Security comes by they'll kick you out if you don't have a pass. But it seems 85 degrees yesterday wasn't bad at all, albeit the clouds and wind were out.

I am thinking I may just make an internal note to try to avoid bringing it if it's over 85 and sunny out.

Yeah man definitely leave it if you're reaching triple digits. If the outside hits 90+ I just leave the bow at home. Like I said above, I'm making my internal cutoff to be 85+ and sunny. I would rather not have my string break on me for fear of what it could do to my precious bow. I am too in love with this thing to replace her!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  11. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This.

12. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a new Hoyt Carbon Defiant and was in the same boat as the OP, a few guys told me he carbon could get warped? $40 for a yearly pass for the range is great, my local place cost $125 for the year.

13. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if this has been brought up already but I have heard a good rule of thumb is if it's to hot to leave your dog in the car it's to hot for the bow... Don't know how scientific it is but it works for me