Why Try to Justify Your Hunting Expenses?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is something my girlfriend always asks me about with me being in college and working full time and constantly getting new things for our vows and my property it's always "why do you need that?" and sometimes I literally cannot justify it I just say it will be use full she has gotten to the point of not even asking me anymore which is whatever but I understand this article

3. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ground beef is what, $3.50/lb? I would have to guesstimate my cost of ground venison is at (1/2)my salary/lb. There is no chance for justification.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been married for 27 years and still get the questions. I have found a way to minimize them though by subsidizing my hunting habit with my hotel points since I travel, a lot!

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't think my hunting expenses are high compared to many other hobbies people do? I tend to use my equipment a long time in order to get my monies worth. How much to people spend on things like fishing, recreational powersports, golf, etc? I do all those things as well though :)

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't even ponder or care and my wife doesn't care either, I guess it is different because when I hunt I am just out in the pasture.

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have pretty much given up on the idea of trying to justify my hunting purchases anymore. Even my brother-in-law, who is also a hunter, gives me a hard time about what I buy. I don't know, for me, it's really part of the experience. Trying new things, seeing what works and what doesn't. I only get frustrated with myself if I purchase something and then go home and find I already have it..........new and still in the package! Oh well, keeps me off the streets.

Blessings............Pastorjim

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why because if I didn't, I would spend everything I had on hunting, fishing and other recreational activities. Now I may not be able to justify what I spend to others, but I can and have to for myself. And I am pretty frugal with my spending and pretty much have to justify to myself any spending that isn't for necessities.

Last year I justified buying a boat so I could take my daughter fishing more than just from shore so she can experience more than just small bluegills. That justification was about $800 when done.

Last year I also was able to justify with myself replacing my 20 year old bow with a new reasonable priced rig, a new lock-on stand and sticks and other gear. Probably ended up about $1500 for the year.

This year I justified buying a different car. Had twin daughters that became legal drivers, combined with 100miles round trip commute for work, I needed more security than an Altima with 270,000 miles. And having a third vehicle is handy with the girls and their sports practices and social lives. Final cost $3700.

Big part of my justification is looking back on what past spending. My previous bow over its life I'm about 50-60/yr average. Never had a boat before but being on the 2nd year has already dropped that to $400/year, $266/yr after next season. The Altima has cost me about $0.025 per mile and still going.

there were some newer and nicer cars when I was looking that I couldn't justify when this Taurus was sitting there for 1/2 the price. I've been thinking of new arrows, but as long as I have 6 good ones even though different brands I haven't been able justify replacements. Every spring I get the itch to get a motorcycle again, but as of yet haven't been able to justify that with myself either. There are hundreds if not thousands of things I see every year that I think Oh that would be nice, but when the time to justify arrives I usually can't. The number of things I pass up on every year, also makes it easier to justify what I do end up spending also.

9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How much gear do you actually need? Don't you only hunt like two days a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't try to justify it. I have been with my wife 24 years, she never asks "why". She knows how passionate I am about archery and bow hunting. If I was ONLY feeding my family through hunting & fishing I might try to justify my expenses. But I hunt (and fish) for more than just food, it's the whole outdoor experience for me.

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You mean 1 day a year?

12. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the same way with "cost per day over life". That makes it easier to buy things when you know you will have it for a while and get good use out of it. Also look at "price if I sell it".

Say you keep that boat for 5 years and sell it for $500. That's $300 cost to you over 5 years so only $60 a year. Not a bad deal when you look at it that way.

I always sell stuff and put it toward new stuff. Works good that way too.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    there usually isn't much left to sell if I get to the point of needing to replace, I'm a use it til it drops type normally.

14. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love to hunt. That's the only justification I need

15. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just place it in my hunting room with all my hunting things under a dont ask dont tell policy.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no need to justify my spending. Hunting is a hobby/passion. Hobbies typically have costs associated with them. I have friends that like to trail ride with their $20,000 Razors. I have friends that like to boat, so they have a 25,000 cruiser. Friends that are into building and flying model airplanes(lots of cash spent). Golfing friends that have thousand dollar sets of golf clubs and pay greens and cart fees every time they go out. Just about every hobby seems to cost quite a bit if you really start to add everything up. Hunting is no different. I feel no need to justify my spending to anyone, including myself. I buy what I want/need as long as I have the extra funds. As long as you are not going into debt to fund you hobby, just buy whatever makes you happy.

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't.

The way I look at is that hunting is just like any other hobby that requires money to participate, but it also fills my freezer.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to calculate the cost of the meat. It's not just the money invested, it's also the time.

18. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tell my wife.....same thing as your $300 purse. Or your $120 hair appointments.

Then she doesn't say anything at all.

But she really never says anything and doesn't really care what I spend.

I just hope she doesn't sell my stuff If I die suddenly. To the best of her knowledge everything is worth about half of the real value to her.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  19. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man talk about friends in high places! thats awesome,

but yes I justify in a pretty similar way, this is my hobby that I am very passionate about, I am choosing to invest my time/effort/money into this.

20. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just tell the wife.... Could be worse...
    I could be spending it at bars and strip clubs and on hookers.