Rut by the moon

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by boilerman, Aug 20, 2016.

1. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do any of you here use moon phase to plan your vacation for the rut. It looks like its going to be later this year by almost 2 weeks. Comments?

2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to play it by ear this year. My work is flexible and I have 11 days left to use still. Benefit of only making 1 of our usual 2 summer vacation trips.

Next year will be even better as I get another week of vacation come January!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not playing it this year. Not saying that it don't work but for me I've taken time off too many times and it hasn't worked. It seems to me that right around Veteran's Day is always the best.

4. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never really follow any of that. Trail cameras and word of mouth is what I'll use.

Always make sure im in a stand during the first 2 weeks of November.

5. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With all due respect to Charlie Alshiemer and Wayne Laroche for doing a rut/moon study for years, I have to say there is no correlation . Without fail, every year, the second week in November shines.....regardless of the moon phase of position.

6. Treestandwolf

Treestandwolf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree !

7. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    My uneducated thought totally. I just go by what Mother Nature tells me.

8. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The two best bucks taken from our farm were both taken the last week of October and both chasing does. Don't know what that says about the moon but certainly tells me to be in the woods late October

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    vacation is fixed to last week october first week of November. no opportunity to chase the moon phase here.

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The first year I read about Charles Alsheimer's moon phase theory, his predictions were spot on. I was thinking "man this guy has got it figured out." It must've just been a coincidence though because in subsequent years it has really been hit and miss, with more emphasis on miss. Now I just try to be in the tree as much as I can beginning on Halloween. Honestly though, I usually see most rutting activity beginning about Nov. 8th. Respect to Mr. Alsheimer though, He's a great advocate for the sport and a good person.

Blessings........Pastorjim

11. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I'm totally with you on this experience Jim.

12. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My birthday is Nov 10th and the Rut seems to be in full swing every year on my birthday.

14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen lots of activity during the first few days of Alsheimer's moon phase predictions assuming the weather is cool enough, but bottom line is, I want to be in a tree as much as possible from 10/24 through 11/30.

15. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I love the full moon dates from September through November. All my biggest bucks were the full moon hunts.

16. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the rut is based on photoperiod...period...which means that it is triggered by the amount of daylight and happens the same general time each year depending on the latitude of where you live. Now as far as activity and daylight activity I do believe moon phase and moon location does effect the peak active times for deer. I definitely see a correlation between daylight activity and moon over under phase when it lines up with the first and last hours of daylight. I haven't had much luck hunting full moons as I feel like deer can see much better at night during the full and consequently are more Nocturnal. I think temperature drops and barometric pressure changes are bigger factors. When I see that a front is coming through and temps going from 50deg down to 30 deg and barometric pressure is rising plus moon over is 30 minutes to and hour before dusk I will be letting the wife know I'll be calling in sick that day. Otherwise I'd like to be in the stand every chance I get from Halloween until after Thanksgiving.

17. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess then I book it as I always do then, first 2 weeks in Nov. It makes it a pain when you have to be at work, then you hear all the bigger bucks are starting to show up in daylight hours. I got a dandy this year but all his appearances has been at night. I hunt public land as no private hunting here so I try to make the most of my vacation. Thanks for all the comments.

18. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Have never tried the moon phases i usually go by activity but thats just me and my work and College schedule work really well for all weekends off so i can hunt.

19. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am of the opinion that the moon phase does not influence the timing of the rut. Dr. Grant Woods has several articles on this. I do believe that the moon phase can influence day time activity. A full moon on a clear night during the rut will create more activity at night and less during daylight. But it does not influence the timing of the rut.

http://http://www.growingdeer.tv/view/2012/10/26/deer-activity-moon-rut-or-weather/

20. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just use most of your hunting time from October 25 through November 25 and you should be good ;)

Here in SE VA I'll take a good cold snap in late October over any moon phase.