Setting up your hang on

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alenhard15, Aug 7, 2016.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious on how you guys hang you stands, whats your process from the minute you put the first ladder section or tree step in. How do you hoist the stand up ? how do you hold it in place before you completely attach the stand? The reason i am asking for input on this is my father and I will be bringing a product to the market to make stand hanging easier ! any input would really be appreciated thanks guys

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do the one trip up method I saw on youtube. pretty simple. loops on harness to hold ladder sections, stand on back.

3. scrobertson

scrobertson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Tie a rope to the stand then pull it up once the sticks are up

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I do use my hang-on, which isn't often, I use this utility belt I put together. It has a hook for both your bow, and or the stand. With the lanyard you're hands free. Works nicely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  5. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use screw in steps. Put it a couple steps then put my safety belt on and work my way up. Have my stand hooked up to a pull up rope, once I'm at the top I'll pull up my stand and attach it.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    TIP...Get the new HSS Hanger Harness and it makes everything easier. I tie all 4 sections of my ladder sticks together and I hang them around my neck. I have my HSS Lifeline tied to my harness as well 30 foot rope. I then tie other end of the rope to the end of my stand. I put my Lineman's belt around the tree. I install the first ladder stick and secure it. As I go up, I add another ladder stick and continue to do the same. Once I am at the top, I set the base/Cam Loc Receiver.
    [​IMG]

(I use Millenium tree stands and the use a Cam Loc Receiver.) I attach the Cam Loc Receiver and I pull the stand up and drop it into the receiver. Then I take another ratchet strap and secure the base of the stand to the tree so it won't kick out when I climb in. Then I hang my Lifeline. I then trim any limbs that are close and see what limbs I need to trim when I climb down. Once I climb down, I secure the Lifeline to the steps. Then take my pole saw and trim any other limbs I need to.

7. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That attachment is along the lines of what I am making, except this would be universal for all stands, I was always tired of trying to hold the stand up with one arm while attaching a latching strap or ratchet strap.

8. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a tree stand hoist that makes it easy to raise and it holds the stand in place while attaching the stand. It straps to the tree and you can get the stand up to the height you want

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lone Wolf makes something that will work for you it is called the E-Z Hang Tool. It will work with just about any Loc On treestand. Attach it to the tree and your stand will hang in place while you attach the ratchet straps.

Lone Wolf E-Z Hang Hook System - Lone Wolf Stands

10. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will snap all sections of my sticks together on the ground and then stand it up against the tree. I usually have the ratchet straps already hanging in there spots. Tighten the straps as I climb up and then place a pulley support about 2' higher then I want the seat of my stand. Drop the rope down to my stand where my hunting buddy ties it on and hoists the stand up to me. If I'm by myself I can tie it off to a tree and climb back up to finish the stand straps.

I found this awhile back and love it. download (1).jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  11. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using a screw in step for a stand hanger for years. I tie a rope with a big carabiner or hook on my stand from the back of the base so it comes up folded and can unfold still attached to the rope. Then after my sticks are hung I'll pull the stand up and I either lash it with the rope to a branch or use a screw in step to hang in while I get the straps situated. That way you don't have to deal with all the weight. It's only really a pain with some of the heavier steel stands that way like 25#. 25# doesn't seem like much til you've been hanging there from a linesman's belt hang in sticks and then trying to manipulate the straps around the tree while holding an awkward stand...specially if its your 4th stand you've hung that afternoon.
    My two favorite systems from a manufacturer are the Summit Raptor and the new XOP quick connect brackets. Those tree stands are my easiest to hang by far...literally they take like seconds.
    I like the look of that HSS system...even with the quick connect brackets I always still use the straps or some ratchet straps as back up for metal or weld failure

12. NAlbowhunter01

NAlbowhunter01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    X2 on this. Only difference, I have switched to summit buck steps and also use a pull up rope to hoist these up as needed instead of screw in steps. I use summit hang ons with the talon bracket system also. Once the steps and bracket is in place, pull the stand up and snap in place. PLEASE MAKE SURE SAFETY HARNESS IS USED AT ALL TIMES IN THE PROCESS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that's what I do too. Tie the stand string direct to my belt loop as I'm climbing the ladder sticks and sinching the sticks down. I then hoist the stand up and rest it on the last or second to last step near the top while I get the first ratchet around the tree and partially tightened.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  14. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I secure the ladder. Then I throw a rope over a branch above the stand location. If no branch I use a rope around the tree with a pulley on it. Hoist the stand into place then tie it off to hold. The stand just hangs in its place. Easy to attach to the tree then.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. Set up my first two LW sticks.
    2. Climb down to attach the other two sticks to my harness, put the stand on my back, and attach my rope system.
    3. Get to the top - hold stand with arm - attach it to tree.
    4. Climb into stand and lock into place.
    5. Pull the first rope that is attached to my pack.
    6. Pull the next rope that was attached to my pack. Which is my bow.

My opinion is that there is already plenty of systems to help hang stands. Most companies have their own quick hang bracket or a simple screw in hook would help if you struggle with holding a stand in place.

What would help the most is lighter weight tree stands and smaller retractable rope systems. Other than that, it's just more crap to carry along when you're trying to be mobile and lightweight.

16. sparky91

sparky91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I set my first two ladder sections up first, then I have a loop tied on each side of my harness to hang the other 2 ladder sections from and the stand on my back. I have my harness attached to the tree as well as a linemen belt so that I have both hands free. Climb up and attach the other two ladder sections and then hang the stand. Once I hang the stand I pull my bow and pack up with ropes that are tied to the platform of the stand.

17. Deercrazy21

Deercrazy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always take a screw in step and put it where my stand will be and hang it up while I strap it to the tree.

18. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use the super mount system for my older muddy stands

after using it i now look only stand that use a simple handing system like Millenium,hawk, older muddy stands if that stand does not have it i look at one that do!

19. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I use.

20. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what I do and I also agree with everything said here!