The end of an era

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Aug 1, 2016.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As some of you may know, I lost 100lbs in the last year. Along with losing the weight I know I also lost muscle mass. So much so that I have really been struggling pulling my Elite, which is set at 65lbs. I have been working on getting stronger and the people at the gym where I work out even devised an exercise for me that should have helped with pulling the bow. I've been working on this for about six months but it just doesn't seem like it's getting any easier. As a matter of fact I have began to have pain when I shoot. So today I reluctantly went to my local shop and the guy there talked me into reducing the weight to 55lbs. What a difference. I can almost shoot as comfortably as before. It's just that my manhood took a hit. I really thought I was past all this testosterone thing, but I guess not. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get different arrows but not much more should change. I know that eventually I will probably have to use a crossbow but at 61 I'm still gonna try with the compound. Would everyone please join me in a moment of silence at the passing of my youth. Definitely the end of an era! :bigcry::bigcry:

Blessings.........Pastorjim

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Might want to edit that signature then old man... :poke: :lmao: Nothing wrong with that though. Im pulling about 62# and I'm 22, its not all about the number right?

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The first year I got my bow, I shot at 55lbs. Starting getting easy a year later so I went and had the shop bump it to 60. Shot it about 2 or 3 times and after about 12 arrows, I was tired. Started thinking about how long I might have to hold my draw. Long story short, I ended up back at 55lbs and was way more comfortable. Shot placement is the key. You can kill a buck at 55lbs easy so don't sweat it partner.

I found this couple on YouTube. They are bow hunters and fitness nuts. The wife has a quick video on an exercise to increase draw weight. Not sure if you have tried it but couldn't hurt to see if it works. Best of luck to ya!
    How To Increase Bow Poundage Workout/Exercise Bowmar Bowhunting - YouTube

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are better off at a healthy weight and a 55# DW. Good luck this fall.

5. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    don't let your pride take too much of a hit. I have been shooting in the 50# range for years. I could give a crap if people think I'm a sissy. I set my weight for cold weather hunting. those zero degree days 65# feels like a 100#s. bow technology today has allowed us to shoot low poundage with excellent results. keep your pride and keep hunting.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stop sweating the small stuff. Shoot a weight you are comfortable with and be happy.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with everyone. The number is just that, a number. If you are healthy and comfortable, shooting at 55lbs is a small detail.
    You're health is ultimate!!

Have a wonderful season!!

8. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great choice. I'm 49 n powerlifted as a kid w lots of injuries. A recent nother shoulder injury had me lower my Elite. I feel better n brought it to almost 70 again so I understood the manhood thing but as an instructor I oughta know it's dumb.
    Mo guess I don't wanna get older either

9. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    PastorJim, congrats on all the weight loss, and dont worry about 55 lbs, thats plenty bow enough!! 100 lbs is a person, focus on that, not dropping down your poundage!! God Bless, great job my friend.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Taking a moment.....Now, you will be fine. Your new setup will work really well for you!

11. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that video. I checked it out and she was using the same machine I've been working with. I have been doing just repetitions but she is just holding the weight. I'm definitely starting tomorrow with this exercise. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Torn rotator cuff and torn labrum here.

Down from shooting 73#'s to shooting 60#'s for practice and hunting at 57#'s.

As my Doctor told me after a lengthy discussion of my options..............

"SUCKS TO GET OLD!"

"Live now for quality of life, not quantity."

13. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I give you props for sticking with it, poundage doesn't make you a man. Your decisions do! I hope I'm still healthy enough to be going when I'm your age, nothing but props here.

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This reminds me of one of my Alberta bow hunts. I had my 60# Hoyt maxed, so it was actually about 62# draw. Shooting in the warmer weather we have here in Pa was routine, but on one particular hunt in Alberta I could not even draw my bow on a nice wide 8pt that was 20yrds out! I had been sitting for about 6 hours in 20F weather with a breeze, my muscles had locked up a bit. Had I turned down my draw weight because of the cold, the outcome would have been different. Live and learn.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your shoulders will forever love you for dropping the poundage. Blessing in disguise. I could probably pull 100lbs pretty easy, but that is just more wear and tear on my shoulders and is unnecessary. Next chance I get Im moving down from 70lbs of draw weight to 60.

16. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You likely gained 10 years of hunting at 55lbs vs losing 10 at 65lbs, I see nothing but winning here Pastor! Congrats

17. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think in the end you will tell yourself " why didn't I do this a long time ago!!!!!" I think you losing the weight is going to be a life changer. I couldn't imagine losing that much weight. you will be all over the woods now and not be out of breath. nice to see someone care enough to put in the effort. great job!!! i'll be rooting for you!!!!

18. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    For a while in the '80s I shot 85lbs after I saw Dan Fitzgerald do it in a video. I went on like that for about five years. Man what was I thinking. I also remember another time, I was in an archery shop with a couple of my hunting friends. The shop had a 100lb bow they had ordered for someone who never picked it up. My buds picked it up and couldn't draw it. Of course I had been shooting 85 for quite a while and it picked it up and jerked it back with apparent ease. I said "Aw it ain't that bad." I didn't say a word but for the next week my arm felt like it was going to fall off. Oh the slave we are to testosterone!

Blessings.........Pastorjim

19. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that I remember testosterone!

20. Stephen09

Stephen09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im 29 and i shoot 60lbs. Not because i can't shoot 70 but because it feels right. 55lbs is more than enough to kill a deer. Be proud. it takes a real man to make a drastic life change like losing 100lbs at 61 yo. not to mention i only know one 60 yo man who can't still shoot a bow. Age brings wisdom as I'm sure you know. We don't have to be the Biggest or the Strongest its far better to be the smartest. 55lb draw with 60s years of experience should make for a pile of dead deer. God bless brother and Good luck this year.