What could cause this?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Jul 29, 2016.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Started shooting today for the not so far off season and got this surprise. This is how the string ends up after each shot. It doesn't affect accuracy at all, but the string always sat in the middle of that string stop after the shot up until now. This bow has NOT been banged at all. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to tell from pic but did cable guard move? If not gotta be cams n I'm sure you'd feel/see anything drastic.

3. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, that is called a string suppressor, and it does not feel like it moved at all. That's the first thing I checked. Like I said, I have never had this issue in the 9 years I've owned the bow. It has been flawless until this. It shoots great, it's accurate, and makes no strange noises at all. It's very odd.

4. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ah that's what I meant. Something moved n if that's straight line it can't be too hard to figure out.

5. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did the string suppressor spin? Usually they're mounted with an off set, if it spun it would no longer by in the same place vertically.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Show more pics

7. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I thought that initially, but i checked to see if it had somehow moved, but it was as tight as it's ever been. I'll shoot again in the morning and see if it continues (don't see why it wouldn't) and I'll get more/better pics. Torquing came to mind, but I hold my bow properly and am I'm shooting accurately.

8. MNbernie

MNbernie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is the distance between your string supresser and your string when no arrow is knocked... If it's touching in its relaxed position it's to close... It could be just bouncing off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I just shot 3 arrows and they were pretty much on. Those are 3" spots. The string does touch ever so slightly when relaxed, which it always has, so bouncing off seems to be the only possibility. The thing I can't understand is why this is just now happening?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just take the string suppressor off altogether. Problem solved. :)

What distance are you shooting from? If you have cam lean or some kind of string problem it might not be evident at 20 yards but will be obvious at a longer distance.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try adjusting the string suppressor in a little (thin gap between stop and string). That will tell you if it's bouncing. If it was cam lean, to be that severe, your center shot would have to be way out.

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could the rubber end of the stop have spun? otherwise I'd check for cam lean like Coop said. Just lay an arrow along each cam and see if it runs straight along the string or not.

13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd guess there's something wonky with the suppressor. Rubber may be cracked at the base or something, it definitely looks out of line to me. If your shot is still on at walk back, I doubt it's anything mechanical.

14. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I just inspected this bow 100%, there's perfect cam alignment, that suppressor has not moved/rotated and is in perfect shape, and there's brand new (100 shots) WC strings that were put on by Lancaster Archery (the best). It's shooting well, so I will deem this not a big deal, but very odd. Thanks for all the input.

15. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you live near Lancaster and they installed the strings, I would drop by with my bow and explain what is going on. That is not right and needs to be addressed.

16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what Alaska said. another possibility is that with age the rubber end of the suppressor might have hardened up and isn't as soft as it was before. therefore making the string bounce more this year. rubber will get hard and break down over time. ever feel limbsavers after a couple of seasons? they aren't near as plyable as they were when new. just a thought. keep us informed.

17. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How old is your string?

18. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    agrees ^^ or you are torquing the string at the shoot.

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If that is a new string and it did not do that before Lancaster installed it... I would be making a return trip to them.
    If for some reason they removed your cams... Check the bushings on the axles between the cams and the limbs. Check to see if they are the same thickness or different thicknesses. If the bushings are different thicknesses on either side of the cam they may have installed the bushings on the wrong sidea of the cam(s), changing your center shot, also offsetting the string from your suppressor.

Also, they may have removed your string suppressor during the string and cable installation. Check to see if loosening the set screw and rotating the Suppressor solves your problem.

Really to be of any help we need better photos.

It would take a whole lot of torque at full draw to cause something like that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  20. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem on my bow. If your stop is built similar to mine there are plastic supports internally on the left and right sides of the cushion. If one of those supports breaks it no longer holds the string and the string will roll right off the stop.