Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 18andrew, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Might get some hate or some "that's not smart or safe" responses but am I the only one who likes to take a few beers with me in the stand? Yeah deer may smell it blah blah blah but really how many of you enjoy a couple beers watching the sunset from the stand? Now that's a relaxing evening if you ask me!

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a drinker and honestly I don't think I'd ever mix my favorite sport/hobby with alchohol. Being in central WI and around a big college that's all people want to do is drink and get drunk. There is so much more to life than drinking alcohol. Now I know you didn't say anything about drinking on stand until your drunk so I totally get what your saying. Just not for me.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never gone to stand with beer, but I have gone out after having one or two. Don't want to many otherwise will be peeing the entire time in the stand.

I do shoot better after 1 or 2 beers. Goes downhill after 4-5.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely enjoy my share of beers, but I probably wouldn't enjoy one in the stand. Too many other things I want to stay focused on for my hunt that even one beer may hinder for me. But that's just me personally.

As hot as it is where I hunt, I couldn't keep a beer cold for 5 minutes at the end of the day unless I took a cooler with me! I can see the serenity in it though and it would be a very nice way to end the day for sure.

5. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't do it, mostly because I expect an encounter with a big buck and I don't want to be doing anything to screw it up. Sometimes when I canoe into my spots I'll have one on the way out at night though.

6. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get the "kicking back and enjoying the sunset". I do appreciate the beautiful, solidarity, of watching the sky change colors as the sun dips below the horizon on a fall day. Helps me truly appreciate creation. That being said, I'm there to hunt. That time period is usually laiden with action. So i'm more in tuned with the task at hand. I can enjoy a refreshing beverage any other time of the year but only have a few days to hunt. Also, no offense, just my opinion. If your intent was to drink on stand, and we were hunting partners/friends. I would look else where. It only takes the slightest misstep to end in disaster and I wouldn't want that hanging over my head.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not for me man. I am 20 feet in a tree with a weapon. Not putting any amount of alcohol in my system while I hunt and then drive home.

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The last time this got brought up, the OP got roasted pretty good if I remember right. Good luck with that.

I have had a beer in a blind. ON THE GROUND. Never in a tree. That does not seem like a great idea to me.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I save em for when I get home sitting on the tailgate admiring the huge buck in the back of my truck. Or doe for that matter.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If I want to enjoy nature or a sunset and drink a few beers there's plenty of fishing docks and tailgates for that. When I'm in the woods I'm there to hunt and kill stuff. Drinking and killing never seemed to mix, unless you're trying to kill yourself that is.

11. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not for me, had a good friend who had a tree stand accident after a few. He fell out of his stand while attempting to stand up to shoot a Doe.

12. MNbernie

MNbernie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 10 minute up hill walk to my stand. So I'm not taking in any extra weight in my pack. There are things that I enjoy in a tree stand that no beer/ alcohol could make any better. With wife and kids at home the time I get in the stand is mine and I love my seclusion for what little time I do get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't drink, but if I did I wouldn't mix it (pun) with hunting. Alcohol is not permitted on the public land I hunt anyway.

14. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No I would not drink until I was drunk then that's crossing the line with so many factors. That's dangerous and I would never do that

15. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I do it haha I usually give up on that big buck coming by me

16. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I should have said this better but I only do it at my cabin when I don't have to drive home. Because I usually have 1 or 2 in the stand then go back and sit in the hot tub and relax with the rest

17. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to drink beer with the rest of them but there is no place for drinking and climbing 20 feet up with sticks with razor blades on the end. If you want to that's your business, and if you were in a blind, I might could understand it, but when I'm in a tree I'm there to hunt, I can drink beer when it's over and we get back to the camp or the house.

18. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can enjoy that sunset sober... don't understand the how alcohol could enhance that view.

19. SEMO Growler

SEMO Growler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A few cold ones are good after a hunt around a camp fire or tailgate, but not in the woods for me. To each their own.

Not to change the subject but......you got a hot tub in your hunting cabin.
    Dang!!
    Maybe that should be a whole new thread lol

20. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never drank when bow hunting but definitely during cold rifle hunts from the ground I've taken a couple of sips of blackberry brandy just to keep the chill away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.