Buying my 1st Treestand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by vaborn7795, Jul 24, 2016.

1. vaborn7795

vaborn7795 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have done my research but research as a newby is sometimes useless because of no real world experience.

I was looking to go as light as I can go but did cut weight by limiting the size of the platform. This platform seems comparable to heavier climbers.

Then of course there is safety. When (not if :) I fall, I want to be as secure as possible, while also simple enough to give little opportunity to f--- up and fall.

In addition, I need to know if I am missing anything. Is there addition safety items or accessories that are nice have.

For the stand I have thinking: Lone Wolf Hand Climber Combo II
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1469374029.741858.jpg

Safety Harness: Summit Seat-O-The-Pants STA Pro Harness
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1469374048.144154.jpg

Thanks in advance...

2. graybeard

graybeard Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After about 30 years of bowhunting, what has filtered out in my case is a Millenium 100 (ALL DAY stand), Muddy harness with an HSS prussic safety line. There aren't enough straight trees requiring the minimum of trimming to warrant a climber in these hills, mostly oak, ellum and scaly-bark hickory. I use 4-ft. strap-on climbing sticks. Day pack full of chow, a water bladder and a book and I can go from before cansee to after can't see and won't fall far if I conk out.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  3. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at XOP stands. Same as Lone Wolf but a bit more conservative on price.

You will like the sit and climb better I think. Very easy to go up and down.

Upgrade the straps to the Molle backpack straps. You won't regret it!!

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the sit-n-climb by Lone Wolf better. It is more comfortable IMO.
    As far as the harness, that is a personal preference. I wear a Seat-O-the-pants. That's all I have ever worn.
    The safety line is a good idea, no doubt.

5. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hand climbers are great, and my first stand was a Myles Keller hand climber. I still use it. But the problem with hand climbers is they are physically taxing to use even if your in good shape. Going up is not so bad but coming down can be tough. Look at a stand with a fold down bar. It only adds a pound+\- and I guarantee you will be able to climb faster and quieter, and when you get up to your hunting height you won't be covered in sweat and worn out.

6. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat of buying my first tree stand. My research led me to the LW alpha or assault hang on tree stand. How straight a tree is will determine if you can get a climbing stand in it. A hang on stand can get into crooked trees. This is my understanding. Depending on the type of woods you are hunting you might want to hang on you can carry in and out.

There are some sweet YouTube videos of guys putting up Lone Wolf Hang ons in under 10 minutes

7. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sit and climb lone wolf by far the best I have dealt with. As a big guy, it never squeaks and is solid.

8. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not so much crooked trees but trees with branches. A climber needs a tree with no branches. Some companies make hang in stands that will hang in crooked trees.

But with a climber if you have a tree with a lot if branches you won't be making ur very far.

If you go the hang on route get yourself good climbing sticks. Well worth the investment.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What types of trees will you be using your stand in? Eg. Spruce, pine, oak, maple? This will be a major factor to consider. I used to think climbers were the only way to go. Just so happened the few places I hunted had a ton of climbable trees. The past few years I started hunting new places and figured out a hang on is much more versatile. It will get into any tree a climber will. The same is not true of the other. I missed a few great opportunities because I packed a climber instead of hang on. One particular instance I packed into public land in a "just winging it" scenario. I found hot sign and saw a tree I wanted to be in. It just looked like a murdering tree. One prob. The tree wasn't climbable. So I backed off 50 yds to the nearest tree I could climb. Within 40 min of being in the tree I watched what would be the biggest buck I've had an opportunity to harvest walk within 10 yds of that tree. 60 yds from where I was at.... sorry you asked what time it was and I'm telling you how to build a clock but just wanted to give you a real life scenario to think about and how a climber may screw you. Don't get me wrong climbers are great, they have their place, but may limit your opportunities if you are only going to have one stand.

10. vaborn7795

vaborn7795 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Really awesome advice all the way around. And I really appreciate it.

I think no matter which way I go I will be limiting (or causing perceived additional effort). myself in some way. There tends to be poplar and oak available in the areas I am looking, so I think I will okay ... Usually :). First time I find myself in a situation where I can't find a tree...I will sure think ... Damn, Shocker99 said this may happen ... :)

I plan to pack in this stand a few miles with all my other camping gear and bow gear, so the light weight and simplicity are key.

sethf11, thanks for pointing me XOP. I went the strike force climber. Did you upgrade the seat? If so, what's the difference?

Had to order mine from Amazon, XOP's website is sold out...of all their stands..says something about their product...or their supply chain :)

11. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the stock seat in mine. Works great for me. Had some longer sits without a problem. The seat upstage is on my list. Too many things on my list. Lol.

12. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Climbing stands are the way to go especially if you're getting just one stand. A hang on will make you wanna sit n watch deer at 50 yards instead of moving closer n hunting them.
    Now I've been doing this a long time so I've seen quite a few climbers. And I know some guys favor certain things but heres a fact. Summit owns the climbing market, they prob sell more all over than anyone. They're slightly bulky and slightly noisy to set up but they're very comfortable n climb easily. Great for long sits. Lone Wolf is super quiet, carries easy n is less comfortable on long sits. The less comfortable i see as an advantage, my summits I fight staying awake in n often just give in n sleep, lone wolf you sit straighter n stay awake.
    I have all kinds those 2 are the best to me for dif reasons. Opening morning starts early Sept in my home state, I already know the Lone Wolf will bear most of my archery hunts, Summit the long sit gun hunts.

13. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Climbing stands are the way to go especially if you're getting just one stand. A hang on will make you wanna sit n watch deer a 50 yards instead of moving closer n hunting them.
    Now I've been doing this a long time so I've seen quite a few climbers. And I know some guys favor certain things but heres a fact. Summit owns the climbing market, they prob sell more all over than anyone. They're slightly bulky and slightly noisy to set up but they're very comfortable n climb easily. Great for long sits. Lone Wolf is super quiet, carries easy n is less comfortable on long sits. The less comfortable i see as an advantage, my summits I fight staying awake in n often just give in n sleep, lone wolf you sit straighter n stay awake.
    I have all kinds those 2 are the best to me for dif reasons. Opening morning starts early Sept in my home state, I already know the Lone Wolf will bear most of my archery hunts, Summit the long sit gun hunts.

14. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely going to get sticks!

15. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some good posts, I had a very similar situation when I was out in western Illinois two years ago. I drove 21 hours to get out to a do-it-yourself outfitter, which meant I scouted and hung my own tree stands. I was a climber guy for 10 years with the summit Viper, loved that thing like crazy, swore by up-and-down. Here in Rhode Island there's plenty of oaks and maple trees to climb. I figured it couldn't be too much different out there, so I brought my summit climber, I could be up and down a tree and 7 to 8 minutes hunting. All I needed was the one stand. The 400 acre farm I was hunting in Illinois was buck heaven, I found the perfect spot, however there were no straight trees to be found anywhere I spent my first day of the hunting trip hunting for a straight tree....NOT deer. I finally found one that I can get up about 20 feet in. I was about 50 yards away from the nearest sign of any deer.
    I saw plenty of bucks, all well out of range, I was able to call some in with the grunt tube and snort wheeze. Long story short I went home empty-handed. Lesson learned.
    That was in 2013, that was the last time I ever used my summit climber. I now use a LW assault II hang on with LW sticks. I now hunt deer and not straight trees!!!!! My hunting experiences have been much better now that I can hunt out of almost any tree.
    (Well, I actually had to sell it, A few months ago. and now hunt from the ground, long story)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good post n something that needs considering. Where I hunted in Illinois there were plenty of good trees. Now some of the swamps I hunt might be better suited for a hang on. Like I said earlier, many times guys w one hang on set the stand n let it rot. They go to the same tree no matter the wind direction or if they've hunted it 5 days in a row cause that's where their "hunt" is. Often times they're off 50 yards n keep hoping deer will wander close enough. Not a good strategy. Better to rest spots n stay w deer patterns.
    With only one stand I stand by the climber but you've got to consider what swamp stalker said. He's for sure on the money in certain circumstances. If I went the hang on route Id try to get at very minimum 4 or 5 if you're a weekend hunter n plan on continually moving them as seasons change, progress.
    You need to get what works for your area.
    Another thing to consider is theft. Anything left behind can be found and taken by someone else

17. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I felt like I needed to have both set ups...meaning a lightweight climber and a lightweight stand and stick combo. I ended up getting a XOP enforcer climber and an XOP air raid and 4 stick set. I didn't want to be tree limited with just the climber. I haven't perfected using either system yet but I watched some videos on you tube and it looks like you can hang 4 sticks and a hang on in about the same time it takes to climb up one in a climber...we'll see which one I end up using more.
    I definitely agree that you have to hunt the deer and not the tree.

18. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have two setups, the lone wolf climber and the alpha assault 2 hang on with climbing sticks. I've been using the climber the last couple of years and love it but my only issue is the amount sweat that builds up using it. Also with the climber was your up in the tree you can't come down if you drop something.

19. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have also found that finding a good tree for the climber can be tough and definitely requires a hand saw at times. I now have the hang on and climbing sticks because of all these reasons.

20. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like stated the LW hang on and sticks is a great option! I have both a Lone Wolf Assault and sticks and also a Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber. Both great stands, just depends on the situation and areas you'll be hunting.