Any input on my broadhead choices?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by theleo, Jul 21, 2016.

1. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a new setup this year and since my old setup was with 100 grain points and my new one I'm using 125's, I have an excuse to get new broadheads. I'm just curious if any of you out there have any experience with my three primary candidates.

#1) Del Mastro's from Radical Archery Design. I'm looking at them because there's not a ton of press on them, the company is relatively small, and they're American made.

#2) DRT's. I'm mainly looking at these to see what all the hype is about single bevels and with the bleeder blade it ought to make a nice blood trail.

#3) Muzzy Trocars, I'm looking at these because it seems they have established a reputation for accuracy.

Before everyone chimes in with other broadheads know that I'm using these for elk hunting in Idaho where no expandable's are allowed and even the full blade Exodus models are still technically barbed according to how their laws are written, so they're out. Worst case scenario I'll get some Shuttle T's since I know how easy they're to get to fly, but their blood trails were less than spectacular on my old setup. The elk died within sight but I feel like changing since I've got to much Trophy Taker stuff on my bow already.

My setup is a Perfexion at 74 pounds 28.5" draw, shooting BE Spartan .300's cut to 27.5", wrapped and four fletched with an EZ-Fletch mini that come to a total arrow weight of 450 grains with 125 grain points.

I know it comes down to what flies the best off my bow, but just curious of any first hand experience with these heads.

2. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the muzzy trocars on whitetail and hogs and they fly awesome same as my field points do. they hit hard and do not bend or break upon impact even when shooting into tuff bone. I shot a hog in the shoulder and broke his shoulder bone all to hell and the broad head looked fine besides being a little dull. They leave great holes entrance and exit and leave awesome blood trails. Muzzys are my go to broad head when I shoot fixed blades I've used them for 10 years now and no complaints and the trocars are great also I used them last summer and last deer season into this summer so far for hogs in Arkansas. I think you would be very pleased with the muzzys for elk hunting and good luck.

3. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do they rotate as they go through game or does the rotational affect of the offset blades once it starts cutting anything but the air?

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The 125 grain shuttle T's are a little bigger and should help with a blood trail. I shot 100 grain shuttle t and got an elk in Idaho last year. Next trip I will switch to the 125 because they are bigger. They fly so well in my set up. Only other one I've shot is the trocar at 100 grains. That is very similar to the shuttle t in my opinion. Not sure if the 125 grain is bigger or just heavier. Shuttle T's were better at long range accuracy compared the trocars in my experience shooting both.

I've been interested in shooting the DRT's also.

5. bowhntr4life

bowhntr4life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Slicktrick fixed
    Killzone mech

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    single bevel that rotate through game because of the single bevel cutting surface on the blades. shoot one into a broadhead target and it will cut the same rotating path. the trocar looks like a double bevel but does have offset blades. I don't think that would cause it to rotate in game but one shot in a broadhead target will answer it. hopefully someone who shoots them can say.

7. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the DirtNap DRT, and I love it. I shot a 205 lb (Dressed) whitetail last year and he was dead inside of 40 YDS. this BH is very sharp and fly's very well. I did a little tuning, but it is flying with FP out to 80 yds. Good enough for me. No experience with the other two, but buy DRT's with confidence.

8. Robinson

Robinson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's all about what flys the best and what you're confident in. That being said can't go wrong with Muzzys

9. brianbanks

brianbanks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use NAP spitfire max and they are deadly on whitetails

10. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Muzzy 100gr for years on deer. They fly like field tips, pack a punch, leave a great hole, good blood trail. I tried expandables and it was a disaster. Back to the Muzzys!!!

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some people can't read the post....ridiculous:

My .02 on the topic. Of the 3 you listed, I'd definitely go DRTs. I actually have a review up that is old on them but they just sent me some of their updated models that shouldn't have the issues I was experiencing with the collars and they claim I got a bad box sharpness wise. Gonna test those things out, but the science behind what a single beveled head does is without a doubt spot on. Just look up all the Ashby stuff and read up on the Alaskan Bowhunting pages (they make a killer head too).

If considered widening the search definitely throw slick tricks in...been using the magnums for years now and they're cheaper than they should be, the blades are medical sharp and the ferrules are strong. Good luck!

12. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the info guys. My hunting season only ends up being a week long as that's about all I can really get away with to hunt elk in Idaho for, between work and family. I'm sure the mechs do a great job for you guys but there out of the question for me, they're illegal in Idaho. I know there's lots of good heads out there to try and I'm always open for suggestions. I put the question up here because I know most of you are white tail hunters and hog hunters that get to harvest several animals a year, so you have a far better idea what sort of wounds various broadheads do on actual game than a guy like me who harvests one if I'm lucky or two if I'm really lucky. To abide by the law I have to use a fixed blade broadhead that the blades come back to the ferrule at no less than 90 degrees. I put that in there so you guys know it rules out any of the Exodus heads, since even with the full blades it doesn't meet the 90 degree rule per Idaho's laws.

I've used standard slick tricks before on another bow, they just didn't give me the flight the Shuttle T's did. I have friends that love them and shot quite a few elk with them. I guess this year I'm mainly curious to see what a 4 blade head in the configuration of DRT's or Black Hornets do. I probably need to look at the magnums one of these days.