g5 Montecs or Muzzy Trocar?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bear bow shooter, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Bear bow shooter

Bear bow shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I know this is very controversial,but which do you think is better, Why? What are some experiences with them? One or the other will be my hunting broadhead this year. I'm leaning towards the trocar because of the replaceable blades.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience with the G5's but I am shooting the Trocar's and they are flying great for me.

The Trocar's are the first BH that I have used that I can say have flown just as my field points. I was/am holding groups with them and field points so tight that I was cutting the fletchings off the other arrows in the group!

HOWEVER - this is my experience with them and yours could be totally different.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used either one yet but I just bought myself a pack of Montecs to use this year. I was drawn to their simple one piece design. No blades to come loose, no tip to come off just three stainless steel blades ground to a cut on contact tip. Sharpen as needed, discard when used up or damaged.

*I reserve the right to change my mind after actually using them.

4. Bear bow shooter

Dislikes Received:
    how do you sharpen them? I agree they look good.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot the Montec's for about 2 years now and they've been great. Looks like the Trocar has replaceable blades while the Montec's are able to be resharpened. I like the Montec better for this reason. Shoot them for a very, very long time before they need to be replaced instead of buying new blades on a regular basis.

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Use can use any flat stone. G5 makes a one with a smoother and rougher side I bought when I bought the broad heads. The angle of the blades fits flat on the stone and you just move in a circle motion. Works great!

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed game with both.

Montec are total junk. Injected molded metal. Doesn't hold an edge for crap couple with the fact the the wide angle on a fixed three blade head is very high by design they never will be the most sharp.
    However the design is simple and in a well made head like VPA they work very well, a machined version of the Montec like VPA is night and day better quality and highly recommended. Would I use montecs not a chance . VPA however I would use on any game that walks.

Trocars have a couple good points and one major bad point. First the good. They fly excellent considering their size, they are very accurate. Out of the box sharpness was just ok, not the best nor the worst. However the downside is that the blade retention is not the best. I have seen blades shear in contact with bone and hard objects.
    I would use trocars however I would limit it to thin skinned game.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are the first person to call the Montec "total junk", Trial.

At least the first one I've seen/read/heard.

10. Fullrut1

Fullrut1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have any experience with the G5s, I have however killed a lot of deer with Muzzy broadheads. They are one tough head!

11. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot G5 Prime bows and have used the Montecs.......but do not any longer. While they are not "total junk", they are not nearly as durable or edge-worthy as a NAP Hellrazor, Magnus Snuffer or VPA. I shot an average doe with a Montec in December 2010 and got back a two blade instead of a 3 blade head.....8^/ They fly well, but so do my Trophy Taker Shuttle-T's, which are a lot tougher and easier to get to field ready sharpness.

12. Bear bow shooter

Dislikes Received:
    alright, thanks.I might be going to cabela's tommorro, so maybe I'll look around there.

13. bease21

bease21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone every had any problems with the rages not opening on impact?

14. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which muzzy trocar are you talking about (there are 4 diff ones)???

The SS montecs are not junk but pretty close to it. The Carbon steel ones are far better (which is why they came out with them after the stainless version) The original stainless version is just too soft. The CS version fixed that.

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Well there is first time for everything. But if you look bad you'd see it's not the first time I called montecs junk. I been pretty consistent saying they are crap.

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    G5 montecs are terribly dull out of the box. I picked up a pack one year and relegated them to practice heads. I am not spending that much time sharpening a blade on something I can buy sharp out of the box with another product. However, if you are great at sharpening things to razor sharp, then have at the G5's. Shot placement accuracy and sharp as heck is what I want...I don't care if a blade breaks off in the process, Ill just buy another one.

17. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's not just your opinion that caught me by surprise but the absolutness of your opinion. Every head out there has its dislikers but in my research on the Montecs, I didn't find one post/article/video that had such a low opinion.

Would you care to share your experience in some specific examples. I place more weight on the opinions of members here than almost any other information resource. I waffled between the Montec and the Hellrazor for quite a while. Maybe I chose poorly

18. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can add me to the list of montec detractors. (At least the Stainless steel ones)

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I can think of a few examples of their poor quality.

First I purchased them when they first came out. Like many I was drawn to the simplicity of the design and the seeming robust look to them. I noticed right away they were dull from the factory. After applying an edge I soon learned why they came dull. They didn't hold an edge for crap, handling, quivers, practice all dulled them in record time. The molded steel was not conducive to a broadhead. I remember killing a doe in the early CT season, might have been been opening day. The shot placement was perfect, a pass through center of the chest cavity. The recovered arrow, laying on the ground, not in the dirt, showed a dull head. The blood trail was sparse and overly long for the shot placement. A head should hold an edge through a single shot through a chest cavity .
    That was enough personal experience with them. I switched right after that evenings hunt.

Now I had other experiences with them while using tracking dogs. Common denominator was dull heads and narrow wound channels.
    One bear we tracked with a dog is an example that stands out. The bow hunter made a poor shot on a small sow. The arrow, broad head contacted the humerus and the broadhead broke at the ferule blade junction further impeding penetration. Luckily bears not being the toughest critters we were able to tree it and shoot it with a handgun.
    The number one rule of broadhead design has to be Integrity. The broadhead has to remain intact in order to cut enough to induce hemorrhagic shock.

The Montec fails on two basic levels. The material isn't strong enough to remain intact in all condition and it doesn't hold an edge sufficiently with regular use.
    That is why I stay they are total junk.
    Further more the fact G5 keeps selling them after they released a better head ( the carbon steel version) tells me that are aware of the short comings of the materials of the original product. If they wanted to do right by their customers then they should have just replaced the original version altogether ....instead they keep selling an inferior product.

20. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a couple pictures of a Montec and VPA. You will notice a few things right of the bat and then some more after their use and implementation.
    The VPA is more robust at the ferule blade junction, further more the VPA (blade ) is Machined the length of the entire ferule. This very important in keeping the blades intact on the head. Also notice the more angular lines in general from a machined versus molded product.
    Next there is a night an day difference in the materials, the carbon steel of the VPA takes and HOLDS an edge through a reasonable duration.

[​IMG][​IMG]