a nice read by Jeff Sturgis on when the rut will be

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by scoot12, Jul 19, 2016.

1. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts are that I will hunt from halloween until my tag is filled usually by November 7.

3. graybeard

graybeard Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't sweat the timing. That's why I use Millenium 100's; I'm gonna be sittin' there anyway, all day, every day.

4. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree with the idea, but who knows about the formula...all I know is I've been way more successful when hunting on good days to hunt rather just days I can hunt. Hunting all those off days when I was young and single and had all the time in the world would just pressure the deer and they'd pattern me. Now that I'm married, have a job, and kids, my days in the woods are fewer, but I am learning to pick the right days to go. If I look at the weather forecast and pressure is rising, temperature is dropping, moon over or under is during daylight during the first or last hour of light then I'm in the stand for sure. Oct. 31st through Nov 14th I'll hunt just about whatever conditions are present.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From October 28th until done. Always works. No charts or experience necessary. You can't reinvent the wheel.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure there is some accuracy to it. But who in the hell is going to carry a calculator around and figure this out every day? :confused:

7. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dont pay it much mind. The rut happens the same time every year and we hunt as many days as available regardless unless our tag is already punched.

8. graybeard

graybeard Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You never know what a toad's gonna do. If you did, you'd get one every time you went out. All you can do is use every trick and take advantage of every opportunity to outwit one. Some people have more resources available to them, and they naturally kill more mature bucks. Where I live, I can reasonably expect to kill an old buck every year, but-historically-he's not gonna be big due to the lack of resources available to him. Management where I hunt is literally non-existent.
    We're coming off a long drought-we've had three good years of water-and the browse is helping many of these old-timers around here with antler growth and body size, but-it's still hit or miss.
    Next year, I have solid plans to do a proper set up on about 130 acres that only 3-4 people will be hunting. This year, because of Stage IV cancer and a recent stroke, I gotta take what I can get: two 150-ish studly, monstrous toads.

9. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This guy just painted a picture of something every hunter should already know and he painted it with broad strokes. He gets paid to write stuff and he did write something, not very well or accurate. I hate so called professional writers!

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't read it...but let me guess. He said November will be good.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could hang my hat on hunting from Nov 5 to 15th, every year.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    His system is entirely too complex for me to monkey with. We all know the best dates to hunt are the same from year to year. The key is being flexible and available to hunt on the days in that range with the best weather conditions that are the conducive to daytime deer movement. You can plan your vacations and trips months in advance based on the moon and other factors that won't change using Jeff's scoring system or whatever other method you so choose. However if you get the wrong weather conditions during that time your success rates are going to be reduced.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely 100 percent true. The years I have the flexibility to do that are the years I am most successful. Daytime temps here during Nov last year hovered around 60-70 plus degrees. Sucked bad and the deer movement sucked as well.