Sitka guys/gals...need some advice.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MGH_PA, Jul 14, 2016.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to be upgrading a few pieces this year and am a bit undecided on where to go with this.

My current garments include:

ESW Pants (ideal for early to mid October sits here in PA),

Stratus Pants

Stratus Bibs

Lightweight Core-Zip T

Kelvin Vest

Stratus Jacket

I'm pretty happy with this, but have always felt that I needed a bit more insulation without the bulk for my November hunts, so I want to try the Fanatic line out, plus I like the Elevated II pattern a bit more than my current Forest pattern.

I'm thinking of picking up the Equinox pants, Fanatic Hoodie, Fanatic Jacket, and Fanatic Vest (or Celsius Shacket)

Where I'm a bit torn however is the Vest vs. the Shacket. The Shacket wasn't available when I purchased my set a few years ago, obviously. I hear mixed things about them. Many people have commented that they didn't like how they layered, but did like it as an outer layer. I definitely plan to incorporate either the vest or the shacket into layers underneath the Fanatic Jacket in November, but will use it as an outer layer in October as well. Would love to hear opinions on both garments.

Secondly, the Fanatic Lite jacket. Where does that really fit in? I know I'm going to wear the Fanatic jacket (non lite) as an outer layer much of the time, but is the lite really needed if I can where the Vest (or Shacket) and hoodie for outer layers in less harsh conditions?

Finally, those who own Equinox pants...with proper layering, how late into the season do they cover you? Are they similar to the ESW pants in terms of weight? I'm not sure if I will need to pick up Fanatic bibs or a Stratus pant to fill in later in the season.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Shacket I wear as an inner layer and outer layer. I would say it gets equal use from me between an inner layer and an outer layer.

The Fanatic vest I doubt I would ever use as an inner layer. It will always be used as a shell. It is cut a good bit bigger than the jackets, I would recommend not buying the Fanatic vest a size larger Sitka took layers into account when they designed this piece. If you plan to use it as an inner insulating layer, buy it a size smaller. Both have the hand warmer pocket and diagonal zip. The fanatic vest will be warmer and has the gore windstop lining as well. With the Shacket in cold weather you could wear it underneath the Stratus or the Fanatic jackets. With the Fanatic vest you could wear it over top of either jacket. A benefit of the Fanatic vest over the Shacket is it is easier to add or shed the Fanatic vest since it is an outer shell over the Shacket being an inner insulating layer.

I prefer to wear the fanatic lite jacket and bibs over the Stratus when ever possible. I just prefer the material of the fanatic lite better. Also, I pack my gear in and the bibs with the leg zips work much better than having to take my boots off and put them back on to to put on / take off the Stratus pants. Also, the Stratus picks up more burrs than the Fanatic lite.

The Equinox pants are very thin, and have a good amount of stretch to them. The are meant for the warmest of whitetail climates. However, you can easily layer under them down to the time to break out the Stratus or Fanatic lite bibs.

Let me know if I missed anything or you have any other questions.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't mind buying used, I would look on AT classifieds. There's always a ton of that stuff for sale on there. Good luck!

Blessings........Pastorjim

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Much of what I'm gonna say is redundant because Buckeye covered a lot of it. Also even mind that I tend to run hot and generally don't need or want as much as some people at the same temperature.

The equinox pants I think our improvement over the old Whitetail early-season pants. They breath well, very comfortable and flow over a nice base layer easily.
    The fanatic Hoody I think it might be the best piece in the whole new line. Most days it's my first layer and if it's really cold it's the second layer with a Marino base underneath it. I usually add my stratus best over it for my walk in and my first hour or so on the stand till I cool off.
    In my opinion having both the fanatic jacket and vest is redundant. They are both purely outter layers.
    The vest is much improved from the old fanatic vest. The sleeve holes and collar have both been expanded. No need to upsize.
    The vest has too much bulk in my opinion to layer under the jacket.
    I would get either the jacket or the vest but not both.

The shacket has been a really nice piece, wear it over the hoodie as outer layer and then it can layer under a jacket like the fanatic or fanatic lite. It's slightly snug for its size so it layers easily.

The fanatic lite jacket just might be the nicest bowhunting jacket I own. It can take me from early October to mid November with layers. It is also the only piece in the EVII line that I up sized.

Hope this helps

5. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the fanatic hoodie, stratus jacket and pants, the celsius shacket and a fanatic jacket and bibs..All my stuff is Elevated II not sure if the older forest versions differ.

I like the stratus pants with fanatic hoodie then I can either just wear the shacket over the hoodie, or the stratus or both. The shacket layers fine to me under the stratus jacket. I find this very versatile for most conditions. The fanatic vest would have to go out over the stratus jacket. I don't see that need for that really except maybe less bulk in the arms, but the fanatic suit is pretty good for bowhunting late season as is.

The only thing I layer under the fanatic suit is the hoodie or some base layers...that thing is warm.

I feel like the stratus with shacket and hoodie can get me anywhere from 60 deg down to freezing
    The fanatic is purely a 0-40 deg suit and 40 deg is pushing it...it is really warm.

PS I wear large pants and typically everything else I own in the world would be a large, but in Sitka I had to buy XL jackets across the board. The XL shacket layers fine under the XL stratus.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated.

So it sounds as though the Fanatic Lite line can be substituted in for the Stratus or Equinox as an early/mid season outer layer? I had planned on running the hoodie/schacket combo for early season, then jump right to the Fanatic as the temps drop later in October (I tend to run cold). However, I'm trying to see if the "lite" version has a place in my usage right now versus just the Shacket/Hoodie combo.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the Stratus because it is windproof. I get cold very easy as I get older. And wind cutting through me even on a 50 degree day I will be shivering lol.

8. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've upgraded to Sitka Gear for this upcoming season. These are the pieces that I am going to be going with. I will be giving reviews and insight once I test it all out. I thought of going with the fanatic hoodie but I can't justify the price for a hoodie. I think the Celsius Jacket will be just fine depending how our fall treats us temperature wise.

Base Layers- UA 4.0

September/October - Stratus Pants, Celsius Jacket, Fanatic Gloves, Ball cap

Late October/November/December - Fanatic Bibs, Fanatic Jacket, Fanatic Gloves, Incinerator GTX Hat, (I might also add Stratus Pants, and Celsius Jacket, depending on the weather.)

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    --Early season -- Fanatic hoody, shacket, and a light pair of pants. (I don't have the equinox pants)

That will get me into the middle of October with some baselayers and maybe even later.

--Mid Oct to Late October -- Stratus Pants, Fanatic Hoody, and Stratus Jacket. I personally wasn't a fan of the fan fanatic lite line.

Again, I also add/shed some First Lite Baselayers depending on the temps for that day.

--November -- Fanatic Jacket/bib combo, Fanatic hoody, and baselayers. The fanatic combo is a must for someone that runs cold.

On the coldest days I was running the First Lite baselayer for top and bottom. Added the fanatic hoody over the top baselayer and a heavier FL base for the bottom. Finished off with the Fanatic combo. That kept me on stand all day.

I'm in between the medium and large sizes, so I never added the vests or shacket for layering. They have always been an outer layer for those early season days.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Fanatic Lite line cold get you to the insulated Fanatic line with the proper layers easily. Just as the Stratus set would. However, I would not want to layer the Equinox/Fanatic Hoodie/Shacket up enough to get to the insulated fanatic gear. To many layers.

The equinox has no insulation properties at all. I use them for warm evening hunts with a Core lite or heavyweight top depending on temps. I will pack in the Shacket or Stratus jacket or Fanatic lite jacket in with me in the event I get cold.

The Fanatic hoodie is just a micro check grid fleece. I feel if you tried to use this combo until it was time to use the insulated Fanatic gear you would be pulling the insulated gear out earlier than needed and then sweating. (However, I do not know your threshold for being cold, or how much energy you expel getting into your hunting locations and getting set up so my opinion could mean squat)

I would like to have a fanatic Hoodie but cannot justify the price for the use I would get out of it. I have the Core heavy weight and the Fanatic Hoodie is essentially the same thing as the Core heavyweight minus all the features (like the hood, hand and face covers) that I would never use. I would however use the hand warmer pocket.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, again, everyone.

Quick question on sizing. I think someone mentioned sizing is pretty spot on now in the EVII. I had to upsize a few things in my current Sitka forest when I ordered it a while back. 5'11" 170bs, 31" waist and 32" IS will be fine for medium all around even when factoring layering?

12. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I would say yes, but again that also comes down to the fit a person is comfortable with. Also, how many layers you are talking about. Example, you could get more layers under the Equinox pant than the Stratus pant. The Equinox has a bit of stretch to it where the Stratus does not.

Not sure where you are at in PA, but I have all of these pieces (everything I own in Sitka is a medium except for my downpour rain gear, I got in large to even fit over the insulated Fanatic line) and you are more than welcome to try any and all of it on.

If I am to far, I'd suggest driving over to Cabelas and trying on anything you are worried about before you put your order in with Sitka.

13. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am 6 foot 3 inches, 230 pounds and I have XL in my Jackets, Bibs, and then for my stratus pants I have XLT. All sizes fit great!

14. bowhntr4life

bowhntr4life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Love Sitka but nothing beats the heater body suit for late season. Still can dress light and look good with the Sitka underneath.:nana:

15. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the Large Fanatic Vest, Large Merino Core Top and Large Bottom, XL Core Heavyweight Zip-T top & Large Core Heavyweight Bottom.
    It has been many years since I've purchased any base layers. The ones I've been wearing in the past were good in their time. It has been long enough ago that the clothing was Made In the USA and came from Cabela's. I had so many base layers that it was getting too bulky.
    I went with the Optifade pattern. Granted everything was base layer but would be great for where I hunt. If my outer layer wasn't so good I'd be buying some SITKA for outer layer too.

16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, everyone. I ordered a mixture of Large and Medium based on some feedback I received. Will see how it all fits once it arrives.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What did you order?