Disappointed yet exticed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Headnarm, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Headnarm

Headnarm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there - First time poster. I got into bow hunting/shooting about three years ago. I grew up hunting with a rifle and don't really know the terminology all that well, so bear with me please. When I started getting interested in bow hunting my father-in-law gave me a bow that he had and didn't use any more; it's an old Golden Eagle (model Carbine Hawk) and I've had an absolute blast learning to shoot it and hunting with it over the past few years. I haven't been successful with it on a big game hunt yet and had a bit of a personal mission to take a deer or elk with it before I upgraded. However, due to recent events I may be forced to upgrade prematurely.

I was shooting my bow the other day. On one particular draw the let off felt really pronounced, almost clunky; when I released the arrow it flew God knows where and I stopped shooting. I took my bow to an archery shop and the owner noticed that I was missing a module on the bottom cam. He said that due to the age of my bow I likely wouldn't be able to find a replacement module and that I may be stuck with upgrading to a newer bow (oh boo, I know :bigcry:).

I made a few calls to other archery shops/sporting goods stores looking for workarounds. I found one guy that said he could help me retrofit the bow with cams from another manufacturer, but that the cost would be in the $120-$150 range. At that price I'd likely just buy a new bow.

So my question is... does anyone by chance have a module they'd be willing to give me (or sell relatively cheaply) to get me through this elk season and help me accomplish my personal mission? The module has a model number of H-4. I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I thought I might as well check before reluctantly upgrading to a newer, faster, badasser, bow.

Thanks.

2. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Blessing and a curse ! I love new stuff

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a couple Golden Eagle H-4 mods on eBay but have no idea if they are the ones you need. I wouldn't invest in putting new cams on that bow, if it was me I would buy something newer so parts were easier to get if needed and not have a hunt ruined.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Archerytalk is another option if you haven't explored that option. I feel it's worth the effort, setting a goal and reaching it no matter how difficult it may be is very gratifying. Bet your father in law would love seeing a trophy pic with the old bow!

5. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a golden eagle set up that I'm willing to give you but I have no idea of the model? Its right handed and has a case, quiver, and arrows. Message me your number/email and i can send pics. Your welcome b to it if it helps.

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and good luck on your upcoming hunt. As far as the bow goes, I think I would invest in another bow. It doesn't have to be the latest greatest but you could pick up something very nice in the $400 range. Best of luck to you.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a golden eagle at home but it's probably close to ten years old, I will check model later.

Welcome!

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! As far as upgrading, check ebay and craigslist. You can find some really good deal on used bow! Good Hunting this yeaR

9. Headnarm

Headnarm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Finally responding here... I opted for the mods on Ebay that Coop suggested. They were cheap, got to my house fast, and were on the bow a few days prior to the season. I also got super lucky and got to loose an arrow at a great bull! So, a belated thanks is in order. I appreciate the heads up on the modules on Ebay. Lastly, I'm upgrading this off-season :bow: 20160913_071252(0).jpg

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well it looks out like it worked out very well for you, nice bull.

11. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hot Dam congrats way to go...

12. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your Bull!!!

13. dukester78

dukester78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: