Limb driven rest for hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Whisker Biscuit man but just put on a Hamskea drop away rest on my 3D bow to try it out and see if I'd want to use it on my hunting bow. It shooting great but, I'm looking at the little string attached to my lower limb and a small spring just under the rest and wonder how could you ever take this to the woods? I just got back from Spain on a Ibex hunt that took me through some crazy stuff and I don't think this string would've lasted 20min.

How do you guys use limb driven rest for hunting and not worry about the string breaking or the spring getting stretched out?

2. fordnut

fordnut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While walking in or out from stand your quiver & arrows will protect the cable

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When you are in a tree sitting the branches and any interference is trimmed away, I am switching to limb driven this year supposed to be the best.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a bow sling that covers the strings and cables. If stalking I keep it in the sling until I'm ready to close the final distance.

5. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    That make sense but if the quiver is hooked to my backpack... I went through nothing but nasty stuff chasing these damn Ibexs and even fell a few times. I just hate to think your out of state Elk or Mule Deer hunt is over or jeopardized because a twig.

Not sure the extra 3 fps would be worth it for me.

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Use a Vapor Trail Limbdriver instead if you want a limb driven rest. Go to the bow shop and have them make you the linkage out of bow string material with served ends rather than using the D loop material.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have only whitetail hunted with bow so I may or may not be of much help on this. I use a limb driven rest and on my walk to my tree stand, I have to get through some thick stuff, I tend to walk with my bow in a manner that it is protected to some extent. If I can wiggle it through the thick in front of me as I go, that tends to keep it from snagging on anything.

I haven't had a problem with that string from the rest getting caught on anything. I tend to walk slow and careful through the thick on my walk in or out.

How I walk to get to my stands may be a whole heck of a lot different than getting around while hunting for other critters though.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used a limb driven rest on my hunt in New Zealand last year and there was some brush there that made the swamps here look like a walk in the park and I had no issues.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    That would take care of the string breaking for sure.

Kilboars Hunt Club

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are only "supposed to be the best" by the people that love them :). I have tried them (TT Smackdown Pro and VT Pro V) and went back to QAD's. They didn't work any better for me and honestly I hate that cable. To each their own.

11. flips01

flips01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used one for the first time last year , never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know. I feel like it's "flirt'n with disaster".

Think I'll stick with the Whisker Biscuit on my hunting bow. I like to keep it really simple.

13. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are really worried about the lenght of the cable to your limb, you can attach to the up cable.

14. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a used bow this winter that came with a LD model that had the long activation cord attached to the upper limb. It shot fine, but I took it off and sold it in favor of my tried and true Ripcord Code Red for precisely the same concerns. Changing out the cord for bowstring material is a good idea, but it still leaves you with a long cord and attachments that can mess up in the woods. I shot a WB for a year and a half and they have merit for being simple, but a good drop away rest offers additional benefits with very reliable service. Been shooting Ripcords for nearly 5 years without a hiccup.....from 96* in the summer visiting our kids in FL to below zero in the late archery season of west MI.

15. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

The problem with my Hamskea is it has a spring as well that would stretch out if caught on a branch. Ripcord looks clean.