Does everybody have high end bows?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jacob102537, Jun 24, 2016.

1. jacob102537

jacob102537 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It seems like almost every bow hunter has 1000$ bows and don't get me wrong I would love to have a nice Mathews or Elite but I just don't have to funds even when working. I shot nice bows and they feel great but I also shoot just fine with my 400$ bow. Who here still uses a bow that you didn't drop a grand on. Not saying that there anything wrong with a nice bow. I plan on getting one in the future but Just wondering what everybody else thinks about this?

Parker Eagle 55lbs
    Carbon exspress maxima hunters
    Rage hypodermics/NAP Spitfire MaXX
    Bohning 5 arrow Chameleon quiver
    7.5 pine ridge archery stabalizer
    HHA Optimizer light OL 55-19

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a Mission X3 for 10 years. Nothing wrong with it, just made the mistake of shooting the Halon

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bare bow was in the $400 range. Once I added the rest, sight, release and quiver I was around $900.

My previous bow was around $800 out the door also. bought in 95 replaced 2015. It is still being used by a extended family member.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started out with a $300 dollar bow nothing wrong with it at all... if you set it up right it will shoot just as good as your higher end bows... im sure lots of people on here started with this and then saved and worked up to a better bow... i now shoot a hoyt nitrum 30 and absolutely love it.... but if funds are short your basic bow will work just fine with a good tune and practice for shooting form...

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a high end bow 4 years ago and new limbs last fall, figure I am good for a coupe more years.

6. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went into the store with basically no budget and shot about 10 different bows. The best feeling bow for me was the RTH Bear Mauler so that is the one I bought. $600 for the package. It is just a matter of what feels right to you.

7. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a matched pair of $1000 bows......but paid about half of that price for each of them when they were only about 6-8 months old. Many archers are quite fickle and buy into the advertising hype that brand XYZ is going to make them a better archer just by owning said bow. After they get it and have it set up, they often discover that they shoot no better with it than the previous bow(s) and decide to move on. Oddly, they frequently grouse about depreciation and the lack of resale value on virtually new bows when they should be working on their form and tuning. The same goes with sights, rests, stabs, releases and pretty much everything else......which makes the 2nd hand market very fertile ground for saving money.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My bow was high end when it was made about 8 years ago. Now, many would call it obsolete considering it's 302 IBO speed rating, but I was able to put a deer in the freezer last fall and win a 3D shoot with it last weekend.

Last summer, I traded a shotgun that I didn't use anymore for it. I got an older but still new with tags bow for zero dollars out of pocket.

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want a high end bow without the high end price, buy used off the AT classifieds. There are guys on there trading bows every six months. It's a great way to pick up a high end bow for half the price of new. It's what I do.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

10. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a hand me down Hoyt Powertec. I think it's a 1996. It was free and shoots good enough for me. I'd like to buy something newer but my current bows fits the budget.

11. Bucksnot

Bucksnot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    going to use my bear game over this season only got 200 bucks in it but going to get new string and sight for it soon.

12. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a 2006 Bear Instinct I got as a gift my first few years... I then bought a 2013 Bear Method for $375 that I will be shooting for quite some time.

13. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife bought my Brute X for me 2 years ago for around $300.

14. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got my HTR for 800 brand new a year ago off of AT. Before that had my mission venture for 3 years.

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Story time....I was shooting a hand me down bow for years and damnsure didn't complain as new does not = best. One day my friend says his buddy a ( super hunter lol ) gets a new bow and decks it out with the best of the best... We both laugh as we know this particular guy is a horrible hunter. The next year the exact story. I start to think. The third year my buddy " super hunter just bought a Creed! I jump on the comment. I get the guys number and ask him what he does with his old bows. He says sometimes sells but doesn't go out of his way because he doesn't care either way. I offer him 700$ for his Heli fully loaded and he takes it... Giving me the bow and accoutrements and the receipt of the total 1400$ purchase. I do plan on getting a new bow... In about 15 years

16. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first 2 bows were far from high end but they did the job. My current bow could be considered high end as it is originally an $800 bow that I pickup up for $400 new.

I am waiting for my Elite to show up. My first "high end" bow that I am buying, new at full price. Is been quite a while in the making in order for me to be able to afford it.

17. Bowbunter k-32

Bowbunter k-32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the obsession K-32 and it's not the top of there line up but I really like it.

18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've always bought the nicest thing I could afford, couldn't care less what anyone else does or has.

19. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No, I have two high end bows. I personally have a Matthews no cam I bought one month ago and I have a Hoyt Nitrum I bought one month ago. Nothing wrong with lower end bows. They kill deer just as dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  20. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think my Hoyt was high-end in 2009.

Tags: