Draw Weight Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mossy_Oak1, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Mossy_Oak1

Mossy_Oak1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright so today I took my Parker Wildfire XP and got a new bowstring put on it. The draw weight on this thing is 70 pounds and I could pull it back easily.. With my old stretched out string. Now I got this new string and I cant draw it back without aiming to the sky then aiming at the ground then getting a cramp. So I let down the weight on it and now I can get it back but my question is how am I supposed to build up the muscles required to draw back a 70 pound bow. I want to be able to use the full weight so I can get the best of the best out of my equipment before next season.

So, How can I build my muscles built up to draw this thing full weight.

2. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was the weight actually weighed on a scale ? We're the cables replaced too ? Could be more than normal if you cables to short, and that's not good. If all the specs are back, it's a new string, just unstreched !

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely check the weight with a bow scale to be sure. Your old strings could have been stretched and it might not have been pulling 70 before. One way you can try is to turn it down to a level that comfortable and shoot it that way for a week or so. Then bump it up a half turn on top and bottom and see how that is and shoot that for a while. Also doing some pushups, back rows and lawn mower pulls doesn't hurt either.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can pull 70lbs...but won't ever hunt at 70. I want to be able to pull it buttery back and hold for as long as I need....no mancho man challenge here.

:biggrin:

Besides my heavy arrows are so slow for some folks it probably doesn't matter whether I'm shooting 70lbs...65lbs...60lbs.....I probably won't be able to kill anything with how slow they go :evilgrin:

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "So, How can I build my muscles built up to draw this thing full weight. "

Just keep shooting. After a while turn up the bow weight a turn (or 1/2) then shoot some more. No magic system, just work at it.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah gotta build those muscles. Strengthening your core is also recommended. So hit the gym! ;)

7. Mossy_Oak1

Mossy_Oak1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was weighed and the cables are the right length. He told me that my old string was stretched a LOT and that this new string was gonna feel like pulling way more than im used to, and it does.

8. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was the old string draw weight checked beforehand? Bottomed out limbs with a stretched string not gonna equal what it's supposed to.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did you originally buy this bow new or used? If new I would guess it wasn't easy the first time, but over time you built up the muscle needed, and as the string has worn and stretched you actually lost muscle strength because the actual draw weight dropped. Lower the weight as much as you can or to a point where it is comfortable and start shooting a handful every day or two and you will get back in no time.

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The gym is my suggestion. Upper body exercises and if you can find a cable rack you can actually mimic drawing your bow on most of those machines. I've also seen an archery exercise "bow" type thing on Amazon. Or if you're looking for a DIY thing, I'd take a couple bungee cords, attach them to the wall in your garage and just draw them back. It's an alternate to shooting your bow all the time for exercise. Or you could find a tree limb about shoulder height and put a rope over it with some water jugs on the other end. There are tons of ways to make some cheap alternates to shooting your bow all the time. Additionally this will allow you to push a little harder and longer without an arrow flying when your muscles get tired.

11. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gym work... remember symmetry, just because you are not drawing with your left you should work out both sides equally.

I believe all bow hunters should do bow exercise to try to compensate from all the drawing we do on our shooting side. Keeping your body even is key to avoiding problems. Shooting your bow should not be considered exercise but rather the benefit of exercising.

Clem

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One key point to remember is to shoot where it's comfortable to do so.

Don't turn your bow up too quickly or too often. You are inviting injury by doing so.

I understand the desire to max out your equipment but keep in mind that 60 pounds is more than enough power to hunt with. There really is no need to try and hurry to get there before the season starts. Take the time you need to build the muscles safely.

13. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Draw and let down should be smooth and manageable without without working hard at it ! Bows today don't have to maxed to be accurate. Like stated already, 60 plenty !

14. Mossy_Oak1

Mossy_Oak1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well this part is tricky because I bought a brand new parker Wildfire xp in 2009, but the limb cracked on it. So I bought a used parker wildifre xp and the string was pretty old.

The problem is I dont know how much I can lower the weight. Ive lowered it about 2 turns on each screw and im kinda scared to go anymore because y'know I dont want my limbs flying off

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have an owner's manual it will tell you the max number of turns that you can back the limb bolts out.

I think 2 1/2 is usually the max for bows with a 10 pound adjustment range. Rule of thumb is about one pound per quarter turn. You are safe at two turns.

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My Elite 32 has quickly taught me there is no slow smooth and calm let down......thing is insane to let down.