Bowhunting on a Budget Part 1: Building Your Budget Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent article.

I agree that new archers are suckered into buying the "latest and greatest" that is out of their budget... But buy it anyway because their buddies have it. I honestly don't know if I will ever buy a new $1500 bow - My $375 Bear Method shoots just as well as my buddy who has the $2000 Mathews Safari.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The entire setup in my signature cost me less than $300.

All of it was purchased new starting with my bow one year ago this week.

For me the key to budget friendly bow hunting is finding value. The best places to find it are in discontinued former flagship equipment (my bow), production over runs or canceled orders that are being sold on Ebay for cheap (my sight), and lastly, my least favorite option, is the current production, low end equipment (like my QAD Hunter rest).

It doesn't take a fortune to put meat in the freezer. In fact, sometimes the search for value can add another level of challenge to the overall hunting experience.

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I followed this exact method when buying my current set up. My budget was $800. Worked out to the set up in my signature, which makes me quite happy. Spending $2000 would have cost more than both the vehicles I have owned.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent around $1,000 (set up) for my bow 13 years ago. I'm still shooting it and will be for years to come. There are tons of other things I would rather spend $ on. To each their own I guess.

6. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another tip is to buy used. I have gotten great deals on items on the AT classifieds. Upgraded my sight, rest, arrows, and stabilizer for around $300. I've also found new broadheads at a discount. Just have to be quick on the draw on good deals.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some guys consider it a badge of honor to spend as little as possible, some as much as possible lol. I am usually in the middle. I dislike having really cheap gear, but I also don't need a $1200 or a $350 sight either. I just bought a slightly used 2016 bow for $450 so less than half of new.

-Mike

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love hearing the penny pinching stories. It seems like the budget minded shooters easily get drowned out by the latest and greatest marketing noise.

9. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Reminds me of an old friend of mine, this guy had the best fishing tackle known to man, literally tens of thousands of dollars worth. What he did not have is any skill as a fisherman. The opposite applies here, the best hunter I know still shoots a Mathews Switchback. Best advice I can give is don't believe the hype, unless you truly enjoy having the latest/greatest.

10. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great article.
    I have $200 sights and a $130 rest on a $300 bow.However for both items I waited and watched for a good deal,the rest I got for $90 and the sights I got for $98.So basically I saved about $150 by waiting for good deals.

11. Bowbunter k-32

Bowbunter k-32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a cheapo also I like to wait for the best deals I can possibly get.