Choosing a Mechaical Broadhead

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by seangarchery, Jun 11, 2016.

1. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have it narrowed down to a nap sling blade, nap killzone trophy tip, or the nap killzone low ke... If anyone has shot these heads I'd like to hear how you like them. How big are the entrance and exit holes, how do they fly, and penetrate. Are these field point accurate? I really don't want to broadhead tune. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks

Sent from my ALCATEL A845L using Tapatalk

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son shoots the trophy tips and really likes them.

My advice would be tune your bow and shoot a fixed blade head.

3. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The invention of Slick Tricks should have made mechanicals obsolete. It would be best to learn to tune your bow and broadheads. In my experience, a well tuned bow puts broadheads and field points in the same hole.

4. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting for over 15 years and I have taken 30+ animals with mechanical broadheads but only 3 with a fixed blade. I love the way the mechanicals fly and the damage they do. Also less surface area in flight so on windy days cross winds effect the shot much less than fixed blades. Thanks for all the advice but I don't want to mess with broad head tuning. I'll do walk back tuning and paper tuning. I dont want to mess with much more than that..... As long as you know what to look for in choosing one and have plenty of ke they work great. I know these 3 heads are good broadheads. You can take quartering shots with all 3 and they are all proven designs and nap is known for some good heads... I kinda just wanted to hear how they fly and personal experiences people have had with these. I currently like the head I'm shooting its just the entrance hole isn't that great and i wanted something with a bigger entrance that's all.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the KillZone trophy tip and they fly fine. I have shot two animals with them and both went down within sight. I also must say I've never seen so much blood from an archery shot animal. The only issue I've had with them is once in a while one will come open in the quiver. It's this issue that makes me want to switch back to fixed blade sometimes. Hope this helps.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

6. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. Ive heard that it does do a lot of damage. How is the penetration on the killzone trophy tip? Did you have any pass throughs?

7. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best advise he ever gonna here !

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Both animals I shot were pass-thrus. One was at 20yds and the other was 5yds.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

9. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    OK... Thanks

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Killzones come with a practice head that is the same size, shape and weight as the actual broadhead. Once you tune the bow with the practice head, no other tuning is necessary. The leave really good entrance and exit holes. However, as with ALL broadheads, good shot placement is key to max broadhead performance.

11. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, nothing beats tuning your bow with both broadheads and field points. I'm using Killzones with a cut-on-contact tip, though I still tune for them. It's not much, but still needs to be done.

12. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

So let me see if I understand you. You didn't really want advice, what you wanted to know if any of us had shot those three heads without tuning our bows and if we had been successful with them. Is that correct?

13. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Imo EVERY BOW should be tuned to both. Assuming is foolish !

14. Ram_n_arrows

Ram_n_arrows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Tune bow with fixed blades then shoot any broadhead . Your not gunna get the penetration you should get with a mechanical if it spends the first 5 yards in flight correcting itself with vanes. I just shot my fixed blade broadheads at 20 yards for the first time with my halon 6. 4" to the right compared to field points. I moved the rest the LEAST amount possible to the left. Bang arrows on top of each other. Adjusted sight to new arrow location and done . For what it's worth ... I hunt with spitfires.

15. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    No i don't want any advice on broadhead tuning or that I need to shoot fixed blades. I never asked any of that. I do want to know if anyone has used these broadheads and the experiences they have had with them. that is it.... And I always shoot whatever broadhead I will be hunting with to make sure they fly just like my fields. I don't like doing a ton of adjustments on my bow to get a broadhead to fly correctly. That's one of the reasons I like mechanicals. They fly much better.

16. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Not to be a contrarian but if your bow is properly tuned, it will shoot a fixed blade head equally as well as it will shoot a field point or a mechanical head.

17. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why do fixed-head shooters insist on going onto a mechanical head advice thread and offer no advice on mechanical heads? If my bow is properly tuned, I can shoot whatever the heck I want - a mechanical.

18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IF your bow is tuned, you are exactly right. But, the op does not want to be bothered with the task of broadhead tuning. Using a mechanical as a band-aid for proper bow tuning in a hunting situation is exactly the reason that most "fixies" hate the mechanical revolution. That's why.

19. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    OK I currently have been using a dead ringer rampage 2 blade 2 inch broad head. My bow is tuned. I walk back tune and paper tune.... When I switch to my broadheads I can shoot this broadhead at 30 yds and see no difference from that and my field points. In my original post I said I don't want to broadhead tune... Why would I touch my sights, my rest or anything on my bow when I don't see a difference from my field points to my broadheads?

20. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree completely.
    That being said I use the killzone but this year I will be shooting NAP double cross.
    The results I have seen so far are speak for them selves.
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1465845648.655162.jpg