Better arrow for my setup...?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WBL, May 14, 2016.

1. WBL

WBL Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Currently shooting
    Hoyt Spyder
    28 inch draw/ 67 pounds
    Carbon maxima hunter w 250 spine.
    100 gr NAP killzone.

This setup has been the driving force behind a number of really good bucks in MN, WI, and MO over the last 4 years.
    - the caveat is that penetration has been dangerously low on the majority of my shots.

Im looking for a harder hitting arrow, and am willing to give up a little speed.

Posted a couple pics on this thread.looks like they might have uploaded sideways.

Suggestions on arrows or posting pics right side up?

Attached Files:

2. HunterMik

HunterMik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is the Total weight on the arrows? I know last season my friend shot maxima red 250's and his are really dang light with little penetration. My arrows I used last season were about 70 GR heavier than his and I got double the penetration. If you run a bit heavier setup you might see better penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WBL

WBL Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maxima hunters are 8.0 grains per inch

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I would shoot nothing lighter than 6 grains per inch of draw weight. A little more would be better. My current arrows weigh in at 6.9 grains/inch of draw weight. (430 grain arrows at 30 inch draw weight)

I like to be in the 6-8 grain/inch of draw weight. It is a nice balance between speed and penetration power.

5. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a thought but at 67 lbs shouldn't you be shooting a 350 spine?

6. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Easton deep six fmjs are at I think 11 something gpi... They hit like a sledge hammer but if you don't want to deal with the insert I've heard good things about the regular deep six

7. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously you need more momentum to increase penetration, but just a thought when you add more shaft weight you are moving your FOC backwards so you might want to consider adding some more weight to the tip (insert of heavier bh) to keep things in check.

Personally I'm shooting Axis 340's 9.8 gr/inch, I was using 100gr fp/bh but upped them to 125gr to move my FOC forward. I also like the reduced diameter of the shaft, i know a lot of people say this does nothing for speed/penetration but simple physics of friction will prove them wrong and every bit helps. I would have gone with Carbon injections but I could not afford them. Axis was a good compromise of dia/cost.

Clem

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I assume the "30 inch draw weight" you wrote is a typo. Just in case though, most companies recommend a base line of 6 gpp (grains per pound). That is defined as grains of arrow weight per pounds of draw weight.

I shoot a light arrow by many standards, 377 grains at 60lbs. I am at 6.28 gpp. I am dropping down in bow weight due to injury so I will be rebuilding some arrows once I do and will probably go heavier. But I also always shoot a very sharp fixed blade head and never have had an issue with complete pass throughs.

My guess for your poor penetration is the broadhead as much as the arrow. Big mechanicals require a lot to push through.

9. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easton Injections 10.1 GPI
    Easton FMJ's 11 GPI

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, yes I meant grains per pound of draw, not per inch. Cripes it's been a long week. Thanks for catching my error. I didn't mean to sound like a tool.

I believe the minimum set by manufacturers and used for IBO testing is 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

Again, to state correctly, I like to have my arrows weigh in at 6-8 grains per pound of draw weight. It's where I find the best balance between speed and penetration for my equipment.

11. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gold tip kinetics, 340 or 300 spine, great penetration as long as you not into speed so much . Cats nuts!!

12. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As stated above I would look at the Easton axis. I have shot them for 5-6 years now and have never had any problems with penetration, but I also shoot a fixed blade broadhead (Ramcat) 100gr. I shoot 61lbs at 28" with a 400 spine axis which are 9.1gpi and I will continue with this set up as long as these companies continue making these products. It is the off-season buy a few different arrows and a few different broadheads , mix and match the products and see what feels/seems best for you! One last note, I personally would try new broad heads before going out and spending $150+ on a dozen arrows. As I said I love my ramcats but there are many great, sharp, and strong fixed blade broads on the market that will shoot straight and solve you penetration problems. Good luck finding the setup right for you!

13. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Piledriver PTXs are pretty stout and should get you over 400 grains.

14. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using Maximua Hunter 250? These are .417 spine. If so IMO to weak.
    CX doesn't make a Maxima Hunter in a 250 spine. Maxima hunter 350 - .337 spine. The 450 - .298 spine.

Personally I do not care for CX. I prefer Made in USA Easton Axis. I would use the Axis 300 with a 50gr (or 75) insert and I know your penetration will noticeably improve.

I like 7gpp (70# - 490 gr total arrow). My Axis are 484gr.

15. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gold Tip Kinetics, at 495gr total arrow weight and a 13% FOC they've done great for me and are a hard hitter for sure!

16. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I currently shoot the easton axis with the 50 grain brass insert. I recently went on a hog hunt and shot the Xecutioner head. I got a complete pass through on a 185 lb hog with that 2.5 inch cut.

If you get around 450 grains on a complete arrow I think you will notice a big difference. I did and think I will be sticking with this setup for this year. Good luck.

17. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why so stiff?

18. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up a Hoyt Spyder 30, 60# 30" DL, shooting 340 spline fmj with a 50gr brass insert, 100gr head. Total wait 501gr, 260fps. Haven't shot anything with it yet, but when sighting my HHA at 60yrds the arrow was penetrating a little more than half of the arrow. Should be plenty of penetrating power.

19. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned the Maxima Hunter 250 is underspined for your setup. If you use the Maxima Hunter I would go with the Maxima Hunter 350. I like Easton Axis for hunting, you would need a Easton Axis 340 spine.

20. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no expert but as mentioned above, big mechanicals take a lot of energy and momentum to open up and punch through. Based on your specs and arrows you should be blowing through them at nearly 70 pounds of DW. I remember reading awhile back that if your arrow is not coming off your rest straight and hitting the animal not flying straight then it really affects the mechanical as well as far as penetration. You might notice it because its too fast for the naked eye but say your arrow hits the animal and tail of the arrow is slightly cocked. Well right there your losing the some of that drive to punch through.

Again, no expert but just something to think about and maybe do some walk back tuning to confirm. Hopefully someone could explain my thinking a little better. Also, I would double check your spine. I think you might be in the 350 range instead of the 250. Which would give you a little extra weight.

I'm another person who can vouch for the Axis arrows. Been using them for years now and I'm still on the same dozen. They are tough! Although I'm going back to a fixed blade broadhead this year.

Last edited: May 23, 2016